Surgery recovery in Escape? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #21

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
No way, no how!

Years ago I had a partial stomach wrap to fix a bad spintcer (heck if I know how to spell it - the valve that keeps stuff from coming back up). A friend recommended a pillow to press over my belly just for the drive home. Great idea! Surgery was done lapra-whatever-scopic and it still took quite a long time to recover.

I would never want to recover in the trailer, unless that was the only thing around. Like others said - the bed will be very hard to navigate; you'll want to use the dinette set up as a bed and even then you'll have to "flop" around a bit to get out since there's a wall by your head and feet. Just going up and down the step in the trailer won't be easiest. Many times I also grab the stripper pole to help and that will pull on your stomach muscles.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
I don’t have any experience with recovery in a small trailer but I would totally try it. You have you bathroom next to your bed and your fridge close by. Make sure your mattress is comfortable and no one bugs you when you need rest The only thing I see as a problem are the kids and pets. As I’m writing this, sounds like a bad idea. If it was just me and wife, I’d totally do it.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #23

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
I don’t have any experience with recovery in a small trailer but I would totally try it. You have you bathroom next to your bed and your fridge close by. Make sure your mattress is comfortable and no one bugs you when you need rest The only thing I see as a problem are the kids and pets. As I’m writing this, sounds like a bad idea. If it was just me and wife, I’d totally do it.
Yeah, option one it's like OK, maybe.

With my son and dogs I can imagine either something bad happening or me being extremely miserable. Probably not worth it.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Big no here. Abdominal surgery is one of the roughest recoveries, ask the C-section ladies. My wife did two of those and not fun. I had a hernia repair and it was 8+ weeks recovery. Like our trailer, but no way to being a long term recovery unit. I want my Lazy Boy recliner for that.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Yeah, option one it's like OK, maybe.

With my son and dogs I can imagine either something bad happening or me being extremely miserable. Probably not worth it.
The first problem is that you can't figure out trailering while trying to recover. You would need a few trips with the trailer for such a thing, at the least. Then you would need no toddlers or dogs and maybe a helpful campground host, too. A hotel would probably work much better for you and everyone. As Greg said, may not be an easy time.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I'm just seeing this thread now and it sounds like you've figured out what to do. It took me a couple reads to understand the situation. It sounds like you are picking up the trailer and then driving to Cincinnati to have surgery where you will recuperate before driving home to Louisiana? I hope you're giving yourself at least two weeks. I have had two c-sections and one surgery to remove an ovary and the lesson I learned was to not get dressed and stay in bed for the whole recovery time. If you look too good, people will expect more than you can give. The trailer/hotel idea sounds great to me. Family can be close by -- one at a time -- and you have somewhere to send them when you need to rest. Just after my surgeries I did not want anyone sitting on my bed or doing anything to shake my body. I am not a dog person so for me it would be a no brainer to say leave the dog home with a dog sitter or in a kennel. One less thing to worry about.

I wish you a healthy recovery.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
We're picking up our Escape this month, and also planning abdominal surgery (supposed to not be a terrible surgery, but more than a gallbladder removal or something) for me across the country in Cleveland. Our plan is to recover in the Escape...with my 3 yr old and two dogs.

We're new to RVing and don't know much. Is this feasible? Am I going to regret this decision? We are very flexible and easy, but when you've just had surgery you're kind of...needing to have things go perfectly.

My husband is great at taking care of me and my son, and either his mom or my mom will come. That presents a whole separate issue I guess. If we stayed in a hotel with a sofa bed suite we could all stay together...

Anyway, thoughts on recovery in the Escape?
There is a saying in the camping world, "6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner, 2 to sleep". I am certain you will find 3 adults, one child and 2 dogs will be overwhelming that small space. Getting out of that bed with sore abdominal muscles could be overwhelming. As a registered nurse, I agree with all of the "no way" responses. You need your recovery to be uneventful and as quick as possible for optimal healing, then you can move on to many joyful camping excursions. Best of luck to you

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
mthikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 PM   #28

Well that's settled. Thank you all for helping me figure this out now rather than later.

A hotel really is the only answer. We will probably go get the camper soon, then take it with us to Cleveland. That has its own challenges since I'm, well, broken until I get fixed. Chilliwack is a long trip from Louisiana. We'll see. Kind of wishing we would've had it delivered, but ouch that's pricey!

If we could stay in it until I had surgery. Then don't worry, we will leave Cleveland when I'm ready and not before.

Thank you all again. That could've been a nightmare if I'd tried it.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I have had two c-sections and one surgery to remove an ovary and the lesson I learned was to not get dressed and stay in bed for the whole recovery time. If you look too good, people will expect more than you can give.
Well I'm all set. I've been about as presentable and productive as a sack of potatoes for the past few months, so my family already won't expect much