Surgery recovery in Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Surgery recovery in Escape?

We're picking up our Escape this month, and also planning abdominal surgery (supposed to not be a terrible surgery, but more than a gallbladder removal or something) for me across the country in Cleveland. Our plan is to recover in the Escape...with my 3 yr old and two dogs.

We're new to RVing and don't know much. Is this feasible? Am I going to regret this decision? We are very flexible and easy, but when you've just had surgery you're kind of...needing to have things go perfectly.

My husband is great at taking care of me and my son, and either his mom or my mom will come. That presents a whole separate issue I guess. If we stayed in a hotel with a sofa bed suite we could all stay together...

Anyway, thoughts on recovery in the Escape?
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Abdominal surgery covers a broad range of intervention and recovery. I wouldn't think anybody here could offer a worthwhile opinion, even if they have experienced the surgery.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
We're picking up our Escape this month, and also planning abdominal surgery (supposed to not be a terrible surgery, but more than a gallbladder removal or something) for me across the country in Cleveland. Our plan is to recover in the Escape...with my 3 yr old and two dogs.

We're new to RVing and don't know much. Is this feasible? Am I going to regret this decision? We are very flexible and easy, but when you've just had surgery you're kind of...needing to have things go perfectly.

My husband is great at taking care of me and my son, and either his mom or my mom will come. That presents a whole separate issue I guess. If we stayed in a hotel with a sofa bed suite we could all stay together...

When I had my Casita, I had minor out patient surgery in Billings MT which is 2 hours away from Bozeman. They would not release me unless someone was able to drive me home. I took my Casita and parked it at the KOA and my Doctor picked me up and drove me back and I spent the night in my trailer. Worked perfectly for me.

With that said, if staying in RV after so called minor surgery makes you uneasy it might be best to stay at hotel. I would discuss with your doctor and see what they say.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The obvious question is, will you (your abdominal area) be able to tolerate the long stretches of potentially stressful sitting in the tow vehicle. Pain killers only do so much.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and leave the pets and children at home with the father. Convalescing needs to be done, not parenting....
Old 04-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and leave the pets and children at home with the father. Convalescing needs to be done, not parenting....
I kinda agree that the scenario described sounds kinda hectic, not at all conducive to recovery. Recovering patient, hubby, 3 year old, two dogs, and mother(in-law) while you are in the trailer recovering from surgery.

What about you and hubby travel with the trailer taking your time, while mother(in-law) stays home and watches the 3 year old and two dogs. Hubby could care for you and it would be way more relaxing while you recover.

Just one fella's thoughts.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I wouldn't. Although I've never had 'stomach' surgery, I have had my gallbladder removed and a C-section birth. I expect your surgery will be somewhere between the two. I think the hardest part of 'camping' in a 21' Escape, after this type of surgery, will be sleeping in a bed where you have to 'skootch' out the bottom rather than roll off. This is one time, I think a crawl over bed would win. IF you go ahead, you may want to setup the rear dinette as a solo bed for yourself. The first two weeks are going to be tough. You won't be able to pickup anything heavier than a small box of Kleenex. I wish you well
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
What Donna said
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Hotel gets the vote of this retired home health nurse! That many bodies in close proximity is going to make you very irritable. Your self care activities such as toileting,showering and dressing is going to be very difficult in the small bathroom. The seating in the Escape may not be that comfortable and for avoiding blood clots and pneumonia you need to be up and moving around in an indoor environment and sitting in a comfortable chair or recliner. Young children and small dogs are notorious for jumping up in laps onto incisions.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I agree with everything Donna and Jan said.

Under those circumstances, no matter the weather, maybe three adults--one of them with temporary mobility and rest issues, a child with special dietary needs, and two dogs is a bit much for that size space. Taking the trailer might work as a sleeping and cooking space for everyone else, and a small motel room for you to retreat and rest.

KOAs here in the west often have small cabins for rent. You can't cook in them, but it's an alternative quiet space for you, with the trailer parked nearby for the others. There may be something similar near Cleveland.

The hospital also might have guidance for you....I doubt that you're the first asking about camping nearby. They might have other alternatives. For example, after a similar surgery a distance from my home, I stayed in a house the hospital had for that purpose for a few days until travel was ok'd by the doctor. It was free, donations accepted. Others were not allowed overnight, though.

Finally, and maybe most important (after your comfort and healing, of course) is that this will likely NOT be an ideal first outing with your trailer. As Donna says, making memories is important. I think making good memories is even more important. Sounds like potential for a lot of stress.

I wish you luck in both the surgery and the accommodations situation.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Is it laparoscopic or laparotomy? It really does depend on what your having done.
In the realm of Bariatric sleeve then you could probably get away with it. Bowel resection? probably not. Whipple? Definitely not.
Although if you camp out in the hospital parking lot, you re good to go if you have complications. Hospital security probably wouldn’t appreciate that.
This post is in no way a recommendation. In all seriousness, if you are debating this, should probably ask your surgeon or anesthetist.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I agree with everything Donna and Jan said.

Under those circumstances, no matter the weather, maybe three adults--one of them with temporary mobility and rest issues, a child with special dietary needs, and two dogs is a bit much for that size space. Taking the trailer might work as a sleeping and cooking space for everyone else, and a small motel room for you to retreat and rest.

KOAs here in the west often have small cabins for rent. You can't cook in them, but it's an alternative quiet space for you, with the trailer parked nearby for the others. There may be something similar near Cleveland.

The hospital also might have guidance for you....I doubt that you're the first asking about camping nearby. They might have other alternatives. For example, after a similar surgery a distance from my home, I stayed in a house the hospital had for that purpose for a few days until travel was ok'd by the doctor. It was free, donations accepted. Others were not allowed overnight, though.

Finally, and maybe most important (after your comfort and healing, of course) is that this will likely NOT be an ideal first outing with your trailer. As Donna says, making memories is important. I think making good memories is even more important. Sounds like potential for a lot of stress.

I wish you luck in both the surgery and the accommodations situation.
I think what Barbara has said in addition to what Donna and Jan stated is the wisest course of action. As much as I like my Escape, I do not believe it is the ideal environment for surgical recuperation. If it were a lower back muscle spasm and you were going to be laid up for 5 to 10 days, that would be different. But you really need more space and less stress than a trailer with kids and dogs offers. I might consider recovering from a dental extraction in this conditions but definitely not anything that involves an incision into a body cavity.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Plus a worst-case condition of a hurt/sick hubby at the same time something goes wrong with the trip (flat/blowout, dead water pump, or an unplanned water leak.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post

Hi Adrienne.
Why not combine both? Hotel and Escape?
I agree with all that is been mentioned, and I can see your point of making it an "enjoyable" recovery while camping.
But frustration might kick in, what will ruin it all. So why not recover a few days in a hotel, while mom, son and dog stay at the campground? You will get your privacy, easy in/out bed, proper bathroom, etc. And once you feel up to it, you go join the camping crew. First a few days close to med facility, and once you feel "yes, it's going good", you all take off camping on the journey home.
Best wishes for the surgery and recovery!!!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Or, find a hotel/motel which will let you park the trailer in the parking lot and you an mother in law stay in the room while kids and others stay in the trailer. Then they can use the pool at the facility and you can recover in peace.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
The obvious question is, will you (your abdominal area) be able to tolerate the long stretches of potentially stressful sitting in the tow vehicle. Pain killers only do so much.
Oh no. We wouldn't be driving back soon after. We'd plan on staying at least two weeks.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm sorry, I meant my husband AND one of our moms would come
Old 04-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #18

I've read everything and thanks for all of the ideas. I'm a nurse, a post op nurse no less, so I know better than to think this is a good idea. Nice try though.

So here's the idea based on suggestions: tow camper up, stay in hotel. Anyone who wants to can spend time in the camper or at the pool etc when I need them to go away. Once I'm back in the land of the living, maybe we can start thinking about moving to a campground setting. But pretty much we'll have to be ready to send whichever mom home at that point since there just wouldn't be room.

I don't know. The surgery is supposed to be small but uncommon. Tacking the stomach to the abdominal wall.

There may be colon surgeries in the near future. For this we would stay for a long time. But again, hard to imagine a point when being in the camper with two dogs and a three year old would be a good idea. Seems like a recipe for getting hurt or infected.

Kinda bummed :/
Old 04-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i wouldn't do it. I am notorious for doing stuff like that but i have regretted it. You will need a comfortable place to rest and easy access to a clean bathroom no kids /dogs in close proximity they will drive you nuts. Just give your self a few days to rest and take care of your self then you will be ready for all the fun!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Now I truly like your signature