Survey: Who had their trailer delivered and why vs who picked theirs up and why? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Survey: Who had their trailer delivered and why vs who picked theirs up and why?

Just wondering...
Old 06-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #2

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Re: Survey: Who had their trailer delivered and why vs who picked theirs up and why?

Picked up at the factory; only a 3 hour drive.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Re: Survey: Who had their trailer delivered and why vs who picked theirs up and why?

As we have not yet taken delivery of our trailer , we don't really count . However we will definitely pick it up , it is a one day drive from Calgary through fabulous scenery .
Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

We had ours delivered nearby, part of a load of three trailers. Costs were shared. Saved a week of time and 28+ hours of driving one way. Estimated out of pocket costs were $1,900 plus wear and tear on vehicle. Delivery cost ran about $1,100.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Picked up at the factory and turned the trip into a 5000 mile vacation of nearly 4 weeks. We have been kid-centered and frugal for our whole marriage -- I see getting the Escape and having such a nice trip as a celebration as we start the next phase of life. --Liz
Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #6

We had ours delivered. 3,600 miles, 10 hard days of driving, use of 2 weeks of vacation time, vs $1,500 deliver costs. It was an easy decision. You lose the invaluable factory briefing, but if you know your way around an RV even a little bit, and watch Tammy's Oscar-nominated video, you'll be okay.

Dave
Old 06-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA

We picked ours up at the factory. 9000 mile round trip, six weeks. Most excellent trip.

Dick
Old 06-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

For those that had delivery, was/is there anything wrong with your unit that could have been taken care of before leaving the factory? For those that went to the factory, were there any issues that needed to be resolved before departing? Thanks
These answers will help me decide the 10 day 6000 mile adventure vs the cost of delivery.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
For those that went to the factory, were there any issues that needed to be resolved before departing?
The windows were missing, cabinet doors not installed, no awning, no tires, and a few other trim details, as well as a final cleaning. However, Reace and staff pulled it all together for us, and we went camping at a rally in Fort Langley that night. They did good, real good.

Jenny and Ian Eddy picked their trailer up the day before me, and could not believe it would possibly be ready for us, but fortunately they were proved wrong.

I would not worry about anything that might come up if you had it delivered. I am sure Escape will remedy any small issues, should some arise. On the other hand, it would be a grand journey for you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 17

The good ole trusy 8 Ball that has been around forever might help

http://www.ask8ball.net/
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #11

Our trailer arrived in perfect condition. It was missing the TV mount (which is not installed at the factory unless you have your TV with you) but it was express'ed to us and arrived within two days. Otherwise, all was excellent!

Dave
Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

We initially planned to camp in range of the factory for a few days when we picked up the camper, but our plans changed and instead we headed directly out of reach rather than sticking around. While Reace was giving us our training, he discovered that the plastic shower drain didn't screw in properly and he immediately replaced that. Other than that small item, we have discovered needed fix-its only gradually and these could not have become apparent in the first few days. I have an entry on my blog called "Pollyanna Comes Clean" which lists what has needed fixing so far. --Liz
Old 06-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I picked mine up at the factory 3136.0 miles from home. Turned it into a 18,700 mile, 111 day trip. Had so much fun I'm doing it again - 5422.8 miles and 35 days as of today with many more before September.

2011 Trip
2012 Trip

One huge advantage of picking up the trailer at the factory is the orientation they give. Lots of good information & answers to any questions.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

We had our trailer delivered to Saulte Ste Marie, Ont.

The only issue we had was the front dining table did not fit into the opening when converting to a bed. I took the measurements, checked them twice, and a week later we had a new table. We now have both, I took one to a local cabinet shop and cut it in half. In the process we also had the extra 1/4 inch taken off so it now fits as a bed or a two piece table. Great service.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

We considered an eight-month old with a 400-mile trip or a new one (when we had never towed) with a 4000-mile trip. Which one do you suppose we have? It has our "musts": insulation and thermal windows and A/C. Also dual water heater, bench end door, front box, microwave, TV included and more. We have the advantage of the upgrades and additions that the sellers made such as pads for the stabilizers, better sewer hose, better stereo, clothesline apparatus, cubby holders, etc.

You notice the pattern in the posts: people who picked up from afar usually had lots and lots of days to do so. There were some long distance fast trips but mostly not.

Good luck with that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

I don't think delivery was an option in 2009, however, I never even considered it.
My heater was emitting a strong odor which made the fire alarm go off and scared my dog. I took it back and they ran the heater until the "new smell" burned off. There were some small "fixits" which were readily taken care of at the time and so minor, I can't even remember what the were. What I do remember, however, was the graciousness and the helpfulness and concern with which these items were addressed. Further, since I tend to ask lots of questions, they made me feel that no question was "too dumb to ask, and they were very patient. I would definitely recommend spending a day or two if possible, near the factory.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander

We picked ours up, and spent two weeks returning to St. Paul. The best part about picking it up was getting Dave's orientation. It took about 4 hours (we are slow learners). But for trailer newbies, it was much appreciated, even though I had viewed Tammy's video several times. And Dave fitted the WDH to our trailer/vehicle combo. We probably wouldn't have done this if we had been pressed for time, but as it was, we were happy to have made the trip.