T.V. Options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2022, 11:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012
T.V. Options

I want to be able to watch television on our longer trips. Is it worth getting cable installed as well as the antennae? How well does the antenna work? Or is there a way of getting something like Netflix? What’s a good way to connect to the internet in a trailer?

Thanks Maria
Lillylularson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The antenna option requires a local television station broadcast. If you are away from civilization, camping, you may not have a signal. I dropped the option after my first Escape. Cable hookup allows campground cable, which most have if you are staying in one. Wi/fi can be sketchy but several owners need and they have signal repeaters. If you have cell phone service then you should be okay. You can always take DVD's for entertainment and use a player.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We're installing 24" flat screen this spring and plan to connect it to an ipad to view downloaded content, so no need for cable or antenna.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I use RedBox when on the road to watch movies...you can pick it up in one town and return it in the next! I have a large laptop that I watch them on (with an external dvd player), but you could just as easily watch them on a TV with no antenna. I used to have the whole antenna setup but I never really liked the content that was on. So for me it's DVD's and online stuff when I do have wifi...and I like having one less hole in the roof!
Old 03-12-2022, 11:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have a cell phone amplifier that I use in the truck. They are useful for fringe areas as an alternative to walking uphill searching for a signal. A couple of times we have gone to the truck and used it at a campsite but for our uses it is not worthwhile to move it to the trailer each campsite.

I also have a wi-fi amplifier which we use a lot in places like Walmart parking lots. We do not have an extensive data plan so its very handy.

I have done a lot of work with OTAs. I use one on a pole. The more height the antenna, the better the range. Most of our viewing is downloaded but its nice to have the option to watch live news on occasion.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
I'd like to get a 12v TV with DVD player for our E21C, and a bracket to mount it on the side of the cabinet facing the bed.

We have an inverter + solar panel, but I'm assuming 12v would make the most sense.

Suggestions for TV and bracket models and sources?
Old 05-29-2022, 02:17 PM   #7

Any website that caters to on the road truckers would be a good source.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 21
Roadtrucker.com is where we got ours but it seems what they carry is on back order unfortunately
Old 05-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
The value of the TV-ready and/or cable-ready options depends on your desire for and usage of each. We ordered both to be ready for all situations. We have used the antenna many times to obtain local news/weather broadcasts and general viewing. We also utilize streaming, viewing either via a Blu-Ray player or laptop (via HDMI output or screen mirroring) when good Wi-Fi is available. The BR player does well for media we bring with us or obtain from local sources (library, little free libraries, resale shops, etc.).
LRCURTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I'd like to get a 12v TV with DVD player for our E21C, and a bracket to mount it on the side of the cabinet facing the bed.

We have an inverter + solar panel, but I'm assuming 12v would make the most sense.

Suggestions for TV and bracket models and sources?
We have been very happy with our 12 volt 22" Skyworth TV from Roadtrucker.com, although as previously mentioned they are currently out of stock: https://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-...dvd-player.htm

And I love this mounting bracket, it has a feature which locks it securely in the folded against the wall position and we have traveled with the TV always in the mounting bracket for 3 years with no problem: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-29-2022, 04:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We have been very happy with our 12 volt 22" Skyworth TV from Roadtrucker.com, although as previously mentioned they are currently out of stock: https://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-...dvd-player.htm

And I love this mounting bracket, it has a feature which locks it securely in the folded against the wall position and we have traveled with the TV always in the mounting bracket for 3 years with no problem: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the links. Roadtrucker does have another 22" Skyworth without DVD. They sell a stand-alone DVD player (also out of stock); both of these are older with component connections. I actually have a USB DVD player, but I'd need a TV with a USB port to use it.

Can plug the USB DVD player into my little MacBook Air 11.6", but it's really too small to use as a TV.

Other recommendations?
Old 05-29-2022, 05:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
Another vote for the Roadtrucker site for anything 12 volt, especially their TV's. We have a Skyworth with DVD player from them and it came with extensive instructions on set up and use. Over the air viewing with the exterior antenna is excellent as long as you within range. BTW, I connected the TV antenna to our fm radio and the reception is also excellent - much better than the little am/fm antenna that comes with the sound system.
MimStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:19 PM   #13
Site Team

Here's another trucker shop:

12Volt-Travel
https://www.12volt-travel.com

Any experience with these folks?
Old 06-04-2022, 07:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
TV mounted over the standard dinette

This is a current project. We have a 21C with the standard dinette. The trailer is wired to mount a television on the wall next to the refrigerator, but this location is very inconvenient for at least one of us sitting at the dinette.
I found this 13.3 inch RCA television at a yard sale. The DVD player doesn't work, so it only cost a $1. I'm using an under-counter mount bolted into the upper cabinet. Both sides of the dinette can view the television at the same time. I need to wire the television into 12V DC and hide the antenna cable inside the cabinet.

I have successfully tested this arrangement with an Over-The-Air antenna and Roku.
Attached Thumbnails
TV mount.JPG  
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:38 PM   #15
Site Team

We Got a SuperSonic 24"

I ended up on Amazon, on a suggestion by previous owner Shawn, and bought a SuperSonic 24" TV with DVD, which runs on 110V and 12V both. Price was better than at the 12V trucker sites, which were also out-of-stock.

The mount that Escape uses screws into the frame at the edge of the cabinet, which also enables the TV to be used facing the bed or the dinette in the 21C. I contacted Dustin at Escape, who sent a link to the mount they use:

https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-MAF50-...s%2C132&sr=8-4

Unfortunately, it was so shoddily made that I could not keep the TV level, so I removed and returned it to Amazon. Maybe Escape gets a better version. After searching, I bought a solidly-made Mounting Dream MD2209:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K9DD2SZ...roduct_details

This unit is made for RVs, and actually has a locking tab for travel. However, it wants to be mounted in the middle of the cabinet, which is made of two thin sheets of some kind of wood separated by an inch of air. MD says it has to be mounted on a minimum half inch of solid wood.

So I cut a piece of thin (⅛") plywood for the exterior side, and a piece of ½" shelf board for the inside of the cabinet, and fastened the wall mount to all this with machine screws. This seems to be making for a solid mount, without any stress on the thin cabinet walls. A bit of a project, to be sure, but I am pleased with it. Photos below.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8790_sm.jpg   IMG_8791_sm.jpg  
Old 08-01-2022, 06:22 AM   #16

Thumbs up

Nice work and photos, thanks for posting