Thanks BC - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Thanks BC

Thanks to the /#@&*/#@ BC law that makes it illegal to drive with the propane turned on, we lost about $200 worth of food today. The really expensive "cooler" just couldn't keep up with the 30C temps. $/**^/$#@()&^/$#@

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Which law are you talking about?

If I am not mistaken, there are restrictions on having propane on during a ferry ride, going through a tunnel, and while refuelling your auto, but no general restrictions against towing with propane on. I usually keep my fridge on propane while towing.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
Thanks to the /#@&*/#@ BC law that makes it illegal to drive with the propane turned on, we lost about $200 worth of food today. The really expensive "cooler" just couldn't keep up with the 30C temps. $/**^/$#@()&^/$#@

Doug
Charles Dickens - "The law is an ass". And BC is special.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
We lived in BC until 2 years ago and always ran our fridges on propane.

Doug
Old 06-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
ETI delivered our trailer across the border with the fridge on, and the propane on. If it's good enough for them, its good enough for me. If there was some law against doing so, I'm unaware of it. I know about the prohibitions on the ferries but a law against towing an RV with the propane on means there are probably thousands of people in BC at this very moment who are breaking it. How could it possibly be enforced?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Doug
What was your expensive cooler Doug ? What a bummer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Propane cars run with valves closed Seriously though, is it o.k. to leave the propane on the fridge while driving? Could there be a venturi effect that could cause a risk of fire?? We live on the island and that is the only time we have to seal the valves...on the ferry. But then they were paranoid about running their boats on natural gas for years and only now are beginning to give it serious thought.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #8

Well, I looked it up once but now I can't find it. It's there, believe me. I was told that law is most often enforced by the CVSE people, the commercial vehicle inspectors. The most likely place to get caught would be at one of their truck inspection road blocks. I just might say "eff it" and take my chances. The fine would likely be lower than the cost of the lost food.

Doug
Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerfan View Post
Propane cars run with valves closed Seriously though, is it o.k. to leave the propane on the fridge while driving? Could there be a venturi effect that could cause a risk of fire?? We live on the island and that is the only time we have to seal the valves...on the ferry. But then they were paranoid about running their boats on natural gas for years and only now are beginning to give it serious thought.
There's always a risk of fire when dealing with Propane, towing or not. In the case of the fridge, the flame is quite small and focused, and I can't really see how it poses a hazard unless its near flammable exterior gas or fumes - like near a gas pump.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
But, but.. Jim said in this post http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...ne-5679-3.html

There is no problem anywhere in Canada travelling with the propane on, with the exception of situations with overriding rules, like tunnels and ferries.

I'm so confused...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you saw it on the web, it must be true.
So, either you can or you can't run on propane, depending what you read.
Jim Bennett did the research, writing to every province across Canada and could find no regulation against running with the propane on.
Perhaps he will post the link to that thread, which has been posted several times in the past.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Like the mythical laws that required the use of ST tires on trailers, I will believe it when I see a link to the actual regulation, or a photo of an actual violation ticket showing the regulation and section. Despite genuine belief in the existence in such a rule no one has produced either for the tire thing, so let's see about the propane rule...

I asked the B.C. CVSE about the tire rule, by the way, and they helpfully responded. Why not just ask them about propane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
If I am not mistaken, there are restrictions on having propane on during a ferry ride, going through a tunnel, and while refuelling your auto, but no general restrictions against towing with propane on.
I agree, except that the refuelling restriction is only against having an ignition source (flame) running - you can still have the propane tank valve open as long as the appliances are turned off.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As Donna and baglo posted, I did do the research, and contacted the federal, provincial, and territory Departments of Transport in Canada, and every one said it was fully legal to travel with propane appliances on.

Through this thread are a few of the responses I got. I never included them all, as some came in after the thread had died out.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...rator-199.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Jim Bennett did the research, writing to every province across Canada and could find no regulation against running with the propane on.
Perhaps he will post the link to that thread, which has been posted several times in the past.
I believe that was the thread "refrigerator", starting with these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I fired an email of to BC Transportation and am curious to see what they say. Glenn had contacted Transport Canada, hopefully they get back to him. I also just sent an email to Saskatchewan Department of Transport too.

It would so be nice to get a clear official word from the various governments across Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, I just sent out a like email to all the provincial transportation offices. We'll see what we hear back.
The same thread contains a very clear statement from Transport Canada, which Glenn obtained and reported in post #63.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:30 AM   #15

Doug,
What was this "really expensive cooler" that failed you? I ask because I've got a rather large Coleman Extreme that was capable in temps you describe. Had to keep it in the shade and not open it too often, but it worked.
If it was one of those 12 volt coolers, I've read that they are only able to cool X number of degrees below ambient. Can't remember the exact number, but it wasn't impressive ( as in I'd never buy one ).
Old 06-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #16

OK, here it is:

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/rvs/operating-rvs-propane

The regulation is:

Transportation of Dangerous Goods Sec. 5.1 (3).
Old 06-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #17

And. I was just attempting to make a funny regarding the "cooler". I was referring to the refrigerator

Doug
Old 06-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #18

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
This looks like an official web site but is not. Go to the "About Drive Smart" link in the navigation column and this is what is said about the web site, "DriveSmartBC is a community web site about road safety in British Columbia that I run as a hobby.", so all info is second hand.

This is what is said in section 5.1-(3)

(3) A person must not handle, offer for transport or transport dangerous goods in a means of containment that is required or permitted by this Part unless the means of containment is designed, constructed, filled, closed, secured and maintained so that under normal conditions of transport, including handling, there will be no accidental release of the dangerous goods that could endanger public safety.

I don't see any reference to a RV here.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
OK, here it is:

Operating RV's with Propane On | DriveSmartBC

The regulation is:

Transportation of Dangerous Goods Sec. 5.1 (3).
That same article was brought up before at FGRV. It is just one persons interpretation, and not accurate at that.

I forget which official I talked to now, it was a few years ago, but the gist of it was that the regulation does not specify RV's, just transportation of goods, and does not include the built-in and inspected appliances on an RV.

IMO, it would be akin to shutting off the propane supply of a propane powered vehicle while under way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #20

Yup. Drive BC should be called Drive BS.

This came from Transport Canada:

Hi Glenn:

Your question was forwarded to the Inspector Education and Public Awareness Division of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Directorate within Transport Canada for response.

The answer is yes, under the Federal Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Regulations the refrigeration system may be used while the RV trailer is in transit. However, we suggest that you contact the province in which you intend to operate your vehicle to verify if they have any additional requirements. For instance, you may not be able to operate your system in a tunnel or you may be limited to two cylinders. Also, you may face other limitations when you’re on a ferry. Finally, we suggest that you verify with your trailer manufacturer to verify their position on this subject.