The Logistics of picking up an Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
The Logistics of picking up an Escape

Howdy All
What course of action did you follow after you picked up your Escape ?
Did you leave the vicinity and head out immediately after final payment and the PDI ?
Did you camp nearby for a day and night to determine if any repairs or adjustments were necessary while you were near the factory?
Thank you, Jubal
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We headed south of the border right away and went on quickly to southern destinations in those first few days. The types of fixes we have needed have only very gradually become apparent anyway, so this turned out to be the right decision for us.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #3

Since the cost of bringing the trailer back to where we live on Vancouver Island is quite expensive we planned our first trip to start from the pickup date.That meant we had to bring all the stuff we thought we might need for the trip. (We had been collecting stuff from order day to pick up and had WAY too much stuff.)

After all the business & walk through was taken care of we went to the campground at Bridal Falls just a few miles away so we could spend a day or two getting used to things. We ended up staying there with hookup for two days to be sure everything was ok (which it was.)

It was nice to have a couple of days to air the trailer out really well with both fans working full time. In the meantime we could leisurely find appropriate places for all the way-too-much stuff we'd brought in plastic boxes. Good thing the 19 has tons of space, but next time we'll be half the weight.

We did find that because the walk through was so long there were things that we didn't remember; it was good to be able to call the factory for clarification on things like how to switch the hot water tank from propane to electric etc.

We had a lovely trip with peace of mind that all would be well on our month long trip.

Good luck with your planning!

Rosemary
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
We headed straight back to Alberta over high mountain roads in November! We encountered terrible snow storms and high winds, and I had never towed a trailer before! The Escape Pod handled it beautifully! Our first night was in a truck stop in Blue River, with idling rigs and snow everywhere. We crawled in, started the furnace, and opened a bottle of wine to celebrate! We were home the next day, but the following weekend we camped in it in our back yard, just for fun! It is nice to take your time if you can, but we dove right in! It's been three years, and we have spent over 100 nights in our trailer.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We went camping for the weekend with Tammy and Reace. This was handy, because we never did do a walk through, as they were finishing things off on the trailer, with Reace and another employee staying late to get it done on a Friday. I was fairly comfortable, having had a couple trailers before, and only had a couple wee questions.

I would not hesitate to head out and deal with anything that may come up at the time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Hi all, when Annette and I picked up Kærnehuset at the factory and after our walkthrough, we headed right out on a 2 1/2 week roadie through the Okanagon, the Columbia Icefields and up to Fort Saint John. Everything worked like a charm and we had no issues whatsoever. Before returning to Vancouver Island, I did stop in at the factory to have Reace move the location of the 12 volt plug in beside the bed. Other then that, we were good to go. It might not hurt to stay around an extra day, just in case something does not work or if you have any questions. With their quality control, however, I do not think you will have any problems with anything, other then clarification on how things work.

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
We left Chilliwack the next day for Powell River, Vancouver Island, Vancouver, Glacier National Park (Canada), Glacier National Park (US) and east on the way home. It was a great trip.

Dick
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose View Post

It was nice to have a couple of days to air the trailer out really well with both fans working full time.
Just want to mention that we were able to camp right away without needing to air out the Escape. We picked ours up in the relatively cold temps of April. But later, when temps were warmer, the off-gassing of construction fumes became really bad and we opened up the camper at home through much of the summer to improve the escape of the gases. So, I might conclude that the outdoor temperatures may affect whether you would benefit from an airing-out period before camping in yours.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We picked ours up and were across the border to the Wasgington state right away to start our 8 day trip home through Washington, Idaho, Montana and then back up to Alberta. The off gassing was pretty bad in Monatana but it was hotter than heck too though, high 30"s celcius. We have had only one problem that didn't show up untill about 6 weeks after we picked up the trailer so I guess we would have had to hang around Chilliwack a bit too long for that to show up . I do think that maybee if its yout first trailer ever than a night or two around Chilliwack to get the feel of everything before you head home isn't such a bad idea. I am thinking more from a orientation point of view rather than fit and finish.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I drove out to Chilliwack from NY, picked up my trailer & after the walk through spent the first night in a campground across the road (Cotton Meadows Campground). From there I spent the next 102 days hauling the trailer around the southwest & Canada. Had a great trip.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #11

I get mine tomorrow. Hope I sleep tonight.
It is about to rain buckets all over again starting tomorrow night for at least a week.
I may be sleeping in the driveway, rather than camping. My neighbours will be watching closely....they know me.
And we have lots of bears in my neighbourhood on garbage day ( which is Wednesday).
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We drove up from California...motel camping all the way, and picked ours up on a Monday morning in late August. Spent the night in the RV park in Chilliwack, and headed home via Victoria the next day. Did have to make two return visits to the factory, one to replace a broken cabinet latch, and one to repair something we had broken, so we were glad we chose to stay the night.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Okay Don..... and....... how did it go with you new trailer today?
Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
He's probably splitting kindling for the fireplace.