The Old 17 vs 19 Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The Old 17 vs 19 Question

Hi Everyone, first time post.
We are researching our first RV/Trailer and I know there are plenty of good posts on this topic. We have been tent campers for many years but a few bear experiences have convinced us that a fiberglass trailer is the only way we can continue what we love. Specifically camping off the beaten track. Understanding the limitations of a trailer, our preferred use would be National Park/BLM campgrounds and not RV parks with hook ups etc, so some forest roads, mild off road etc.
Budget is not an issue, so 17 vs 19, single vs tandem, axle lift for the 17. If you were going to poke your trailer into some out of the way spots - which one?
If the 19 will handle off road as well as the 17 it's no contest otherwise we would want to mod the forward dinette per attachment as the 17 rear dinette would be too small for us and the front standard layout is a bit narrow. Cannot find anyone that has done this mod?
Barry & Cyndee
Attached Thumbnails
17b with 44%22 front bed.jpg  
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I have an older, used 17B and so there have been some upgrades in materials since then, but the layout is the same. I think this mod would take away the best counter space the 17B has - the top of the wardrobe closet. Also if you have a slide there that enlarges the bed, your bathroom door won't be able to open.
Have you looked at this thread? http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...r-17b-928.html We went up to the factory after buying ours from the previous owner and got them to do it for us along with a couple other things. For 2 adults sharing a bed with 2 dogs, it basically makes the bed 80"x77" instead of 49"x77", with the caveat that our feet have to stay in the middle.
As far as I know the 19 handles as well, though I have seen at least one person mention that possibly turns aren't as tight with the tandem wheels. I'm sure some 19 owners will pipe up soon!
My initial thought would be: if you can tug it and you can afford it, and are already worried about size of the 17, go with the 19
Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi guys, welcome to the fold.

I do lots of the sort of trailer camping you are planning to do with my 19 with no problem. The 17 would do fine too.

That layout with the sink and stove on the driver side was the first planned production layout for the 19 as shown in the image below. I had suggested to Reace that I would prefer to have all the tall bulky stuff all on one side, opening up things a bit. They did list it as a Plan B. That idea took with most of their customers, and they decided to go with only it.

In looking at the idea you drew up, I see two issues. One, the bathroom is scaled smaller than what it really is, and it is moved forward, not sure that could be done. Secondly, it appears that the door is moved, which can't be done. The door opening is moulded into the trailer, and moving it back is not viable, as you would infringe on the tandem axle wheel well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've got a 17B and I don't see how you could possibly make the front dinette area into a bed that's larger than the rear dinette / bed. Where do your legs go?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #5

Hillary, thank you for your quick reply. I did see that bed extension you suggested on a previous post, but I don't think I would order a 17 without a least trying this out - the foot end seems a bit cramped - we are tall. I also agree with the bathroom door opening into the extension, I would ask if it could open the other direction. I just took the drawing off their website
Cheers
Barry
Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #6

Jim, good to know the 19 can handle a bit of off road - thank you. My drawing was based on the one 17b from the Escape website, if not to scale I guess I have to talk to them
Thank you
Barry
Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #7

I should have drawn a "bed down" diagram, basically sleeping the same way in the front dinette foot end would be the same 30" head end would be approx 40" a bit like a V berth in a boat, the closet would be approx 8" x 32"h enough to store the table.
Thank you for your input
Barry
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #8

17b Bed "down" diagram sorry if my previous post was a bit confusing
Attached Thumbnails
17b bed down.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcdonaher View Post
My drawing was based on the one 17b from the Escape website,
Ah, I was thinking you were doing your dreaming with the 19.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #10

Well the 19 would be a perfect fit but why spend the $$ if we don't need to, no kids, no pets. Probably should try and find a used 17b and give it a shot, do the upgrade to a 19 if we need to.
Your input to these forums has been invaluable to our research Jim, many thanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

More clarification - we are not planning on sleeping "together" with this mod.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #12

For what it's worth, we have the 17B and my buddy has the 19.
My wife wants a 19 ( or at least she did until she saw the 21 ).

The 19 is wider so you can pass one another in the kitchen area. The 19 has a permanent bed and a 4 person dinette. When we camp with my buddy and when we gather for dinner or a game ( in inclement weather ), we end up in their 19.
I'd consider it if it didn't mean buying a new tow vehicle as well as the trailer.
I think your camping style will determine which one to buy.
Have you been inside the 17 and the 19 in person? Highly recommended.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #13

TV no problem we have a Grand Cherokee V8 w/ tow package. Escape have given us 2 referrals for a 17 & 19, plan on viewing this week, it's really a matter of best ground clearance and mild off road suitability. Of course my wife will just want the 19 I'm sure.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #14

What qualifies as "off-road"?
I've got the high-lift which adds 4" but I think the RAV will stop before the trailer does.
I listened to a friend arriving at a remote lake, towing his 17' Boler. It had so much overhang at the rear that he was tearing fiberglass off on all the rocks. Quite a racket.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Got it, with the second diagram it'll totally work! I still suggest you would seriously miss the counter space of the wardrobe closet, and when you see them I'm going to bet it's not just your wife that wants the 19
Do you tend to camp just the two of you, or do you ever go with friends that are in their own tent/trailer/etc? If it's always just two of you, the 17 will absolutely work, but we've found we don't really hang out in our trailer at all if we're with anyone else, even in rain. Just the two of us (& of course 2 dogs) in inclement weather it's totally fine. How tall are you? The front dinette turns into a pretty darn spacious bed for 1, and we've actually left it down as a sort of couch area when the weather is nice and we can eat outside.
Glad you found Escape, and I'll be interested to hear what you think after you see them both!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Reace did this mod. on a new 17B for Thom and Susan ( Bobcat ) on this forum; maybe you could private message him. The front is a permanent "V" type berth with storage under the bed and the rest is exactly the same as a regular 17B.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #17

Glen, we are not yet trailer owners, as far as "off road"??, we have lots of beautiful places to camp in Utah/Arizona that have forest road access wash board roads etc. We looked at an R-pod and figured we would be working things loose every time we went off asphalt, with that in mind discovered fiberglass RV's. We've owned several cruising sailboats so we know what that type of construction can take. Your picture towing the 17b with a RAV4 illustrates ground clearance perfectly. Thank You!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #18

Hillary, will post our impressions after seeing both, I think our camping style is similar to ours, we prefer to be outside, the trailer would be a place to sleep and store stuff!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you add about another foot to the dinette and the same to the bed on the 17', as well as a tiny bit more height and width, you pretty much have a 19'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #20

Thanks Barry, I'll PM Bobcat, if they are not online I'll see if Reece has some pics.