The "U" shaped dinette option on a 19 or 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
The "U" shaped dinette option on a 19 or 21

Just wondering about the "U" dinette option over the regular standard dinette. I thought the option could add more sleeping space for the wife or myself by adding a mattress across the back and takeout the cushions. May have to add a short cross board between the two side cabinets to support a 36" mattress, or the size of a single bed mattress. This would still leave room for a seat on each side for two to eat at, not interested in seating 4 for dinner, etc. Could have the factory cushions shortened and recovered to fit the area. This could easily be done at the factory, but don't know if they would do it. The wife and I really want a twin bed option, but to date only the Oliver and Bigfoot offer it. The table would also have to be smaller, no problem here, maybe one of those slider marine tables for $450 would work here.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Not sure about a 19' but think this is doable in a 21'. Pretty sure I saw a mod where someone build a bunk bed. As I read more and more topics seems one is only limited to their skill levels or what they want to pay someone else to do for them when it comes to changes.

Safe and fun travels to all.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape will make the "U" dinette a little wider in the rear as well as cut the cushions along the back for ease of use. We used the stock layout with a extra support board and the corner cushions to make a single bed in the past, very easily accomplished.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Escape will make the "U" dinette a little wider in the rear as well as cut the cushions along the back for ease of use. We used the stock layout with a extra support board and the corner cushions to make a single bed in the past, very easily accomplished.
I can do it or have it done which ever way we choose, I'm a perfectionist, well I think I am, haha, so no biggie. All being said, it looks like the better way to go for us for the dual bed route. Thanks for letting me know, I will call Melinda at Escape and she what she says on this.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
...May have to add a short cross board between the two side cabinets to support a 36" mattress, or the size of a single bed mattress. This would still leave room for a seat on each side for two to eat at,
trainman
I’ve seen this done on a Casita SD, but the dinette on a Casita SD is 6 inches wider than the Escape dinette. (54 inches vs 48 inches). For a Casita, 54”-36” leaves 18” for a seat. While on an Escape 21, the smaller dinette 48”-36”, leaves 12” for a seat, and the resultant table.

It’s doable for the Casita, but maybe not for the smaller Escape 21 dinette.

An alternative is to have foldout counter extensions, one on each side of the dinette, so the bed (standard or modified) can stay made while using these “flip up” tables.

Another possibility is to use a Lagun or Springfield table mount, to change from a dinette to a bed. Some folks consider those mounts to be quicker and more convenient. Poles don’t have to be stored, and with the Lagun, the floor is devoid of a those horrid standup mounts.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21
One of the members here posted an interesting table configuration he did in the dinett area on his former Escape 21. Check it out;

5 reasons to downsize your RV dinette table | Follow Toto