Things we learned during build sheet process - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Things we learned during build sheet process

We'll be the proud new owners of a 19 in October and wanted to say THANK YOU to all the members, for all the information we gathered on this forum while making our decisions. We were able to find answers to most of our questions (with photos as well!) right here on the forum.

When we couldn't find an answer, we asked Escape. We worked with Joldie and she was very responsive. As a way to "pay it forward" here on the forum, hopefully sharing some of what we learned during the build sheet confirmation process will help answer questions others may have in the future.

As of July 2020:

1. Exterior Hatches - the 19 comes standard with one exterior hatch on the passenger side under the rear queen bed. A second hatch can be added on the passenger side under the dinette. They will not add any hatches on the driver's side (I asked twice).

2. Batteries - you can provide your own AGM or Lithium batteries if you would like to. They need to be pre-approved by Escape. There is no credit for providing your own batteries.

3. Mattress - you can provide your own mattress for a $120 credit (quoted July 2020).

4. Hood Vent - the thinner, low profile stainless hood vent seen in recent videos is now standard in all trailers. We think it looks much better than the older, larger ones (personal opinion of course).

5. Exterior Shower - You can choose the side (passenger or driver) for the exterior shower, but you cannot choose where it is installed on that side. For example, I hoped it could be installed toward the rear on the passenger side but was told the only option was roughly centered over the wheels. Not a big deal, but worth knowing.

6. Graphics - there is no price no credit for going without graphics. I like the clean look of a "naked" trailer, but couldn't decide 100%. We went with slate gray, if I decide they gotta go I'll bust out my heat gun.

7. Belly band - white belly band is $40 (quoted July 2020).

8. Winterizing Valve - (also referred to as winterizing valve or quick winterizing kit??) I had seen mention of this in old posts so I asked for the option. I learned it is now standard.

9. Microwave ready cabinet - the cabinet above the 5cf fridge comes "microwave-ready", meaning it has an outlet inside but also has a cabinet door. You could, in the future, decide to remove the cabinet door and install a microwave. We asked if we could upgrade to the larger fridge and move that microwave-ready cabinet to under the cooktop, an optional location for microwave installation. They will not install a "microwave-ready" cabinet under the cooktop, as they say they do not have a cabinet door that size because the cabinets are reconfigured for that installation. It did not make much sense to us, as i would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the cabinet door would be the same size whether above the fridge or below the stove (same size microwave either way). Rather than go back and forth about it, we said OK and went with the smaller fridge and microwave-ready cabinet above. I think we'll appreciate the additional storage.

10. Zamp solar port location - if you want the zamp solar port, it gets installed on the front driver side near the marker light.

Thanks again, everyone. We are really looking forward to our new trailer and have been impressed with the knowledge base that has been built up on this form.
windshieldcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Sounds like Escape is slowly standardizing the way models are being built when it comes to options. If one wants an option it’s put in a set location. So if one wants that option elsewhere they have to do it after they receive their egg. Not going to e like when Reace owned ETI. Sad this happens when investment groups buy out an excellent company that was geared to keeping the customer happy. Escape trailer are still the best bang for one buck but giving what the customer want to have a unique trailer seems to be be slipping away
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Sounds like Escape is slowly standardizing the way models are being built when it comes to options. If one wants an option it’s put in a set location. So if one wants that option elsewhere they have to do it after they receive their egg. Not going to e like when Reace owned ETI. Sad this happens when investment groups buy out an excellent company that was geared to keeping the customer happy. Escape trailer are still the best bang for one buck but giving what the customer want to have a unique trailer seems to be be slipping away
But you never know! Maybe with standardization, we can finally get wiring diagrams for our trailers!
Old 07-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
But you never know! Maybe with standardization, we can finally get wiring diagrams for our trailers!
Excellent point that would be very helpful in troubling shooting AND adding accessories to our home away from home eggs
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There are several reasons for the answers provided by the builder and I'll try to explain the reasoning. Driver side hatch, there is no room under the bed on that side due to the water heater and power cord being located there. Not sure your reasoning for replacing the stock batteries and mattress, but with no credit just take what they give you. Most owners are very happy with the stock mattress and dual 6 volt batteries. I know I have been, at least 4 times. The exterior shower on the passenger side has to be located where the sink plumbing is located, normally directly under the sink. White belly band will really show the dirt, had it on my last Escape and went back to black.WE do not use a microwave so that issue is moot. BTW, if you went with an E21, some of your changes could be accomplished. The build is model specific.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #6

Hopefully it doesn’t sound like I’m complaining. Certainly not my intention. I was just hoping to leave a little info here for someone in the future. As I said, these are answers I didn’t find on my own.

Makes a lot of sense for them to be standardizing more and more. At some point, the customizations (some, at least) likely slow down production. At the end of the day this is a business - one that we all want to see successful and innovative.

Totally understand there is no room for a hatch under the rear queen bed. I was hoping for one under the dinette. Admittedly, not a whole lot of room up there either. Just thought it would be handy to have hose, power cord, etc. on that side. I will use the front box.

I was contemplating AGM or Lithium batteries but couldn’t decide. Just going to run them until they die and maybe upgrade at that time. Might take a question “off the list” for someone, knowing the cost is what it is.

We may never install a microwave. We’ll see. Knowing that the micro-ready cabinet had to be above the fridge helped us decide to go with the smaller fridge, as we wanted that cabinet. Personal opinion - tough call there.

Opinion noted on the belly band. I just can’t fall in love with the black one.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windshieldcowboy View Post

9. Microwave ready cabinet - the cabinet above the 5cf fridge comes "microwave-ready", meaning it has an outlet inside but also has a cabinet door. You could, in the future, decide to remove the cabinet door and install a microwave. We asked if we could upgrade to the larger fridge and move that microwave-ready cabinet to under the cooktop, an optional location for microwave installation. They will not install a "microwave-ready" cabinet under the cooktop, as they say they do not have a cabinet door that size because the cabinets are reconfigured for that installation. It did not make much sense to us, as i would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the cabinet door would be the same size whether above the fridge or below the stove (same size microwave either way). Rather than go back and forth about it, we said OK and went with the smaller fridge and microwave-ready cabinet above. I think we'll appreciate the additional storage.
They will make a microwave ready 'space' under the stove top. They won't put a cabinet door on it. The can also make a convection microwave ready space under the stove top, but, you will lose the two drawers in the kitchen cabinets. You can however, add two drawers at the bottom of the wardrobe closet.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks for your update...

Before we picked up our trailer I had already ordered a replacement grey belly band. I got an unusually great deal on Amazon.ca of 100 feet for $18...enough to do our trailer twice. Great to replace it again in 10 years or so when it gets brittle. Belly band inserts are available in a wide range of colours.
It is easy to pull out the old and install the new by hand as long as it is a reasonably warm day. Just make sure you don’t stretch the new band as you install it. You don’t want it shrinking up too much as the temperature changes.
Attached Thumbnails
B1E69444-CE87-4EF7-8053-6C57342F4034.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
They will not install a "microwave-ready" cabinet under the cooktop, as they say they do not have a cabinet door that size because the cabinets are reconfigured for that installation. It did not make much sense to us, as i would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the cabinet door would be the same size whether above the fridge or below the stove (same size microwave either way).
The microwave is the same size, but the cabinet space is probably not, because the cabinet width is determined by the other appliance (refrigerator or stove/range), rather than by the microwave.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Quote:
Opinion noted on the belly band. I just can’t fall in love with the black one.
Everyone has an opinion! We went with the white belly band because we thought that the trailer shell looked more integrated, less like two tubs stuck together with a seam in the middle. I don't know about "White belly band will really show the dirt..." here's ours, almost home after fifteen states, without washing the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5769.jpg  
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I recall a comment from some time ago that the band turned yellow, like some of the other plastic bits.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B Mitt View Post
Everyone has an opinion! We went with the white belly band because we thought that the trailer shell looked more integrated, less like two tubs stuck together with a seam in the middle. I don't know about "White belly band will really show the dirt..." here's ours, almost home after fifteen states, without washing the trailer.
We have only had our trailer 13 months, but it has seen a lot of miles. I looked through our pictures to see if I had a recent picture of the belly band but didn't find anything. At this time our white looks as good as the day we picked up the trailer and we like the look.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Of course you can always put 756 LEDs behind a white belly band and make it any colour you like.
You can see how that is done here:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post288172
Attached Thumbnails
93455840-51F2-4FBA-9C96-38435FD339DD.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:36 AM   #14

Here are some pictures of the white insert, and the dirt that accumulates along the top of the metal trip and the dirt on top and bottom of the insert. Also notice the white is colonial white.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1470.jpg   IMG_1126.jpg  
Old 07-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here are some pictures of the white insert, and the dirt that accumulates along the top of the metal trip and the dirt on top and bottom of the insert. Also notice the white is colonial white.
Not to go off topic but. cpaharley2008 what is the little cover in the picture above the refrigerator access door ? Is it to divert water? and how is it attached. Thanks!
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #16

The early 2016 models had water intrusion in the refer vent area due to the straighter walls. A forum member here named Charlie and goes as "tractors1" makes plastic accessories for the Escape. He made me one and it worked.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Looks great! We dropped the "19" from the front rock guard as well.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I recall a comment from some time ago that the band turned yellow, like some of the other plastic bits.
Starting the fourth year, the belly band is as white as when it was new in May '17.

On the other hand, the outside kitchen vent, outside light, bubble levels and marker light housings are turning various shades of not-so-white.
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Looks great! We dropped the "19" from the front rock guard as well.
We did too. It's another conspiracy!!!
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Love the look of your trailer! What shade of gray are your graphics?
Scrossle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior hatch, exterior shower, hatch, microwave