Thinking about removing Air Conditioner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2020, 10:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 - 19
Thinking about removing Air Conditioner

Like the title says. Here’s my thinking. 1) In hundreds of nights out we have never used ac. 2) It puts weight up high on the roof (think 1 1/4” sag) 3)I think we would get use out of another roof vent. 4) It is hideous- everyone agrees. So my question is keep it for later sale or sell it? And is it worth anything/easily sold?
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembyescape View Post
Like the title says. Here’s my thinking. 1) In hundreds of nights out we have never used ac. 2) It puts weight up high on the roof (think 1 1/4” sag) 3)I think we would get use out of another roof vent. 4) It is hideous- everyone agrees. So my question is keep it for later sale or sell it? And is it worth anything/easily sold?
It would be hard to sell unless you rig everything up on a bench to demonstrate it works, but if it didn't sell you could save it for a future buyer to reinstall (in which case I would not remove the thermostat or wires.) You'll have to cap off existing roof wires unless it's on it's own breaker. May have to run 12V wiring up there to power a roof vent as the A/C doesn't use that.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Do it- trust your instincts! You will enjoy more headroom and fresh air and natural light from the crank-up vent.

After six years and over 1000 nights out we've never regretted not having an AC.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
You'll have to cap off existing roof wires unless it's on it's own breaker. May have to run 12V wiring up there to power a roof vent as the A/C doesn't use that.
The A/C is always on its own breaker. Could the 120V wiring be taken off the breaker and 2 conductors of the Romex terminated on the 12V DC side to power a fan? Someone suggested this previously when I thought about putting a fan in after removal of rooftop A/C in favor of mini-split.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hello Everyone,
I haven't written for a long time .... all's well just summertime busy.

I too have been thinking about removing my AC. I much prefer boon docking and don't want to carry a generator ... I never have used my AC. When I'm around 120V power, I'll fire it up just to give it some exercise to get the refrigerant moving around (it has lubricant in it). That is all.

When I bought my trailer, I was thinking about resale and ordered the AC. A much better choice would have been a second roof fan. Quieter, much much lower energy consumption, less windage. higher headroom inside, cheaper, etc. .....
After all I have wheels. Should the temps get uncomfortable, I'll head for the ocean or gain altitude ... easy to do in the Pacific Northwest. Living in other areas of the country,.... I might have another opinion.

Happy camping all,
Tom
Old 09-01-2020, 06:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We are heading to Iowa this week for a three day camping adventure
Temps will be in the 80’s and both our car and trailer A/Cs will be getting extensive use .
BUT , it is your trailer , so do what you want to fit your needs and let the next purchaser worry about it .
I think the visuals of the A/C look just fine , the word hideous never entered my mind
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 2006 17B
AC install

We don’t have AC in our 17B and never miss it, except when we camped in Florida in March and the noseeums were so bad for a few days. We tried taping fine mesh screens to inside of sliding windows, but they still found their way in. If you’re not sensitive to these biting insects, then it wouldn’t be a problem, but if you are, it’s miserable.
So, I’m thinking of installing an AC somehow. I noticed on recent listing of 2007 17B for sale, they had an AC in cabinet above refrigerator. I always thought that was for microwave only. My trailer has an outside vent in that location as well, so now I’m wondering if this would be a good place to install? Anyone else have an AC above their fridge?
riverplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
I think the a/c makes the 17B look better. But I am also one who never uses it except for the occasional run to circulate the refrigerant to lube the compressor. Also I'm only 5’8” so headroom is no problem.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I live right at the edge of needing it or not needing it.

If I go West, I probably will not need it ever. Maybe a little.

If I go East, humidity picks up and so does the average temperature. Particularly if I go South.

The thought of needing it and not having it is why I didn't think twice. How would you bring the temperature of the cabin down, in the event of hot weather? Or Bugs requiring the cabin to be sealed up? Just the thought of that makes me want to buy a Honda generator, except I won't unless I have to.

What would you do in that event?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 in 2019, Escape 15a in 2014, Scamp 13 in 2006
Hi

We had the A/C removed from our Escape 15a. We were not using it (we camp a lot) and it adds weight. We had Escape remove it for a small fee and they installed an opening sky light. This had the benefit of additional air flow but also surprisingly, it was much lighter in the trailer. We have since upgraded to a 19 foot and will keep the A/C since we hope to spend more time in the southern US areas where we would need it. We definitely notice how much darker the interior is without the additional clear skylight.

We had no difficulty selling the A/C. And we also had no issue selling the 15a without an A/C. After 4 years of use it sold for the same price we bought it for - without the A/C.

Hope this helps.
Windymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 - 19
All great feedback. Thank you. I’m leaning to replacing it with a non powered vent that lets more light in. Keep it simple. Noseeums can be a nuisance. Now how about that atrocious looking tv aerial? Must go
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Good decision, you're not burning any bridges.

Our Scamp came with an uninstalled A/C. Sold it, the A/C that is. Our two Escapes have had the opening hatch in place of an A/C. Don't regret it at all even in Baja. I'd hate to have to carry a generator to run an A/C.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
If you never use it and have no desire to ever come to an area where you would need it than I'd remove it. Chances are when you sell it will be in your area anyway and purchaser won't care. Being from Texas I have to have it. It would be easier to sell if you could leave it hooked up so they could see it working.

Good Luck, Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
I see almost exclusively that the folks voting for no AC live in the northern regions. We just spent a week at Kerr Lake in Virginia and trust me you wouldn’t want to have been there without air-conditioning with highs in the mid 90s for the five days. MaxFan and vent didn’t help at all.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 E19
If you don't mind limiting when and where you can travel, feel free to get rid of the a/c.

Even as far north as Michigan, there are days in summer when a/c is really helpful (heat plus humidity). Now I live in Oklahoma, where it can be 90 degrees or more even on some spring and fall days (November, March); summertime low temps often are upper 70s.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
only used mine a couple of times but really happy i had it those few times. I turn it on when I leave the dogs alone in the camper so they can't hear whats going on outside ...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
I see almost exclusively that the folks voting for no AC live in the northern regions.
Sort of, but I think that the biggest factor is how much a person is boondocking or hooked to power. In our case we almost never are hooked up in a serviced site, even in the US South or Baja, so it's a moot point. With the only alternative being running a generator, that's not going to happen. Running a generator would keep me awake more than the heat.

Trust me I know what heat is. I used to keep my boat in North Africa in the summer time. Not even side windows to open, just overhead hatches. That's when I started using targeted computer fans. Quiet and very effective. Works for us.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I was on PEI 2 years ago in late July and the power management system kept shutting me down because the line voltage was hovering in the 105 area. @Why, might you ask. Isn't the power situation good in the land of Green Gables. Yes it is, but not in a sweltering heat wave when everyone is running A/C. My prediction is that all the boondockers who haven't retired yet will ultimately head to warmer climates once in a while, and then when the temps goes too high they will wish they had A/C. In my 2015 5.0TA I have used the furnace on only two occasions. Am I going to remove it and add storage space. Absolutely not, I was glad I had the furnace on those two occasions. we have never cooked a thing on the stove; we cook almost exclusively on the grill, and if it rains, we either nuke something or go out to a local restaurant. Am I going to remove the stove? Absolutely not. Never know when I might want to use it. In five years I have only jacked up the trailer at home. Am I going to remove the hydraulic jack I have in the front storage compartment? Absolutely not. Im just saying that one never knows when something might be needed. I need A/C living in the south. But if I were to move to Great Falls I would still want the A/C. Ive spent too many sleepless nights drenched in perspiration and they were miserable. Of course, everyone's mileage may vary. Ron, you must be way more tolerant of heat than I am!
Old 09-01-2020, 09:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
C&G

I agree with your logic, completely.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It's always the same debate. Folks in the far north are generally for nixing the AC, folks in the far south are generally for keeping it, and folks in the middle are a mixed bag. This should clue us all in that its about the climate where you live and camp, which should settle it - but of course it doesn't.