Those with no AC, please weigh in - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2016, 10:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Looking
Those with no AC, please weigh in

We are currently looking at new and used Escape trailers and have been debating about air conditioning. Do we absolutely need it or are the powered vents sufficient?

For those that do not have Air Conditioning... where do you do most of your camping? Do you get by OK or do you wish you had AC? Does the fan do a good job keeping it comfortable?

We live in MN, which can be hot and humid during the summer months. Some of our camping we would have access to power other times we would be boondocking with a generator. We do at least one 2-3 week trip out West every summer with the kids and have always survived in tents.

I like the idea of keeping it simple but also like the idea of sleeping comfortably when it is hot/humid. I am not worried about during the day as we are typically out exploring whatever area we are in until much later in the day. We get back to camp, have something to eat, maybe have a campfire, go to bed and do it all over again the next day.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
CC
canoecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoecountry View Post
For those that do not have Air Conditioning... where do you do most of your camping? Do you get by OK or do you wish you had AC? Does the fan do a good job keeping it comfortable?
I don't have air conditioning but then I live and camp in the Pacific Northwest where humidity is generally not a big factor. The Maxx fan keeps it comfortable enough for me. I don't think I'd do without it if I lived in the Midwest, though.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
A friend moved down here from Pittsburgh with a car with no AC. He couldn't sell it and couldn't drive it down here even with the windows down. Ended up taking it back up north to be able to unload it.

Do you plan to do any traveling in the south in the summer? If so, AC is not a luxury - it is mandatory. Fans moving 90+ air don't do much good.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't have AC, but I live and camp in BC or NW USA. Truth is, I rarely turn the Maxxfan on. I'll have the vent open but don't need the fan.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
AC lets you go to some areas of the country in the shoulder seasons when there is space available in the campgrounds. If you never want to go to any of those areas and where you will only be camping is fine without AC then you could get by without it. I've had trailers both ways, I want AC so I'm not limited on where I can wander.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We had almost never turned on the A/C in years. Mostly camped in the off season but did use it in summer in Iowa in the 90's.

And then we turned it on all of the time in Texas and Oklahoma in the hot season. The Maxx fan is great but not that great for that kind of weather.

You never know where you might be years from now.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We didn't get an A/C primarily because I don't like roof mounted units. And most of the time we're boondocking without power. We've traveled from Alaska to Baja and only a very few times we've wanted A/C.

Our $88 unit mounts in minutes in the window and for the few times we used it it did the job. And, if a future owner wanted an roof mount unit the trailers wired for it. So it's not an all or nothing situation.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
21-05-2015 4-53-49 PM_0003_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19 foot Escape
In our 19', my six foot 1" husband can stand up comfortably. The air conditioning uint lowers that height, and he would have to stoop, so we have been happy with just the Maxx fan.
neamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
In over 6 years with our 19 and no A/C, there were only a handful of nights I would have used it if I had it. Most of our camping was boondocking anyway, and often in the foothills and mountains around here, so heat was more useful.

For my 5.0TA I will be getting A/C as we plan to do lots of travelling which will mean lots of warmer climates.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
It all depends where you park and enjoy your trailer. What I found amusing was when we looked at the Casita's in Texas, air conditioning was standard and the furnace optional. At the Escape plant, it was the opposite. But since most of us take our trailers all across North America, it is best to be set up for all climate conditions. But how did our parents and grandparents survive before AC? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
But how did our parents and grandparents survive before AC? Loren
They sweated their butts off Loren.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ever notice the amount of clothes worn by our ancestors in the 19th century, long pants, shirts, full coat and hat with boots in 100 degree weather? Now, even in shorts/flip flops and t-shirt, we find it is too hot.....??
Is it because it is hotter now than 150 years ago??
Old 09-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We live in New England and do NOT camp in the summer. Don't think I ever used the AC in our last trailer, but then we stayed on the east coast, only camping in the early spring and fall.

I did get it int he Escape, and am glad I did. First off the fifth wheel can get pretty hot up where the bunk is, as such we've been glad we had it a few times for that reason. But the real reason is that we travel the country now. Last October in southern Utah it got to something like 1000 degrees, bad enough for us to forsake the national park campground and drive to the closest town that had campgrounds with power. It came in handy a couple other times on that trip. This past winter it was nice to have a few nights in Florida when the heavy rain made us keep fairly closed up.

If you plan on staying where it's cool, or just don't mind the heat, then skip it, maybe make sure the trailer is AC ready in case you change your mind.

If you are like us and want to travel to warmer climes and don't care to sleep hot, then get it.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is it because it is hotter now than 150 years ago??
I don't think so. They were just tougher. Had to be. Ever try homesteading or living off the land?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We have been across the southern US in other RV's with A/C. But plain don't like an A/C running full time.

In addition to our portable, very limited use A/C, we have a hanging fan. Just a plain old computer fan which quietly blows a barely discernible breeze along the bed. If I had to choose between it and the Fantastic Fan, I'd choose the hanging fan. Far more targeted and effective.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-05-2015 4-19-22 PM_0009_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #16

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
AC

Growing up in Western Colorado with many 100 degree days we put up with the heat. Most houses and most cars prior to about 1955 didn't have air. In 1965 our new Pontiac didn't have air, we then lived in the SFO area and didn't need it. We now live in AZ and my wife even sold her 1967 VW convert a few years ago and bought a new Fiat convert that has air and she will not go without air in anything. We do travel quite frequently and much of the time it is in the West where we may use the air during the day and a heater at night. After the heat records that have been set this year I would never consider a trailer without heat and air.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I have a 5.0 TA on order but don't plan on getting the A/C. We live in the Colorado Front Range and the summer temps can get in the mid nineties but the evenings still cool off into the seventies. We will do most of our summer camping in the mountains at Forest Service campgrounds and boon docking without hookups so it seems like the A/C would get little use.

I don't like the idea of hauling a 103 lb. box on the roof if it isn't going to be used a lot. Not sure I even want the hole cut out and pre wiring done but another passive vent there might not be too bad.

As far as A/C increasing the resale value, I don't get the logic. If I spent $1,100.00 plus tax for an A/C box I won't often use and five years later decide to sell the trailer will I get $1,500.00 in increased resale value for the 5 year old box which is out of warranty?

Will the 9 or 10 people lining up to buy my Escape all decide to cut $1,500.00 from my selling price because I don't have a 5 year old A/C on the roof?
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
No, what will happen is that you may find it hard to find someone else who feels the same towards owning a non a/c unit who also lives near you.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Whether or not one gets A/C is totally up to them for their own reasons.

With Escapes being A/C ready, it would be easy to market it that way. Heck, you could offer to get it installed if they pay for it.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Not sure I even want the hole cut out and pre wiring done but another passive vent there might not be too bad.
Even without air conditioning installation preparation, there will be the same hole in the roof, because it is a common 14" square vent opening. If the trailer comes from Escape without the air conditioner, it has a common opening vent instead.

I think the previously optional "A/C ready" package (reinforcement of the vent area to handle the weight, and wiring run to that location) is now standard, since the trailer structures have changed and the "ready" package is no longer listed as an option... but of course one would want to confirm that with Escape. Even if it is optional, I would want it if not getting the air conditioner.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote