Tire blowouts on single axle trailers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2018, 12:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Tire blowouts on single axle trailers

I've seen a number of references to people upgrading to dual axle trailers from single axle trailers due to the risk of catastrophic blowouts. Searching the forum I saw one or two reports of people having blowouts on single axle trailers and the blowout was not catastrophic. I'm interested in hearing additional stories of blowouts on single axle trailers either first or secondhand, and whether they ended up as accidents, or alternatively if they were controllable. Please also mention if there was a weight distribution hitch involved and estimated speed, if known.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I ever have a blowout, I'll let you know.
I have heard of blowouts on tandem axle trailers where the driver didn't notice and the shredded tire thrashed the wheel well causing enormous damage.
Got to love those anecdotes.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I had a wheel completely come off of a Coleman popup tent trailer once. It was a big one and probably weighed about 2,000 lbs or so. I knew when it happened right away because the truck yawed a bit as the trailer suddenly swerved and dragged on one side. Other than the initial yaw there were no stability issues and it was very controllable. I watched the wheel roll away into the sagebrush in my side-view mirror.

Speed was about 45 on a dirt road with washboard. Tow vehicle was a Toyota truck. No weight distributing hitch.

There was nothing catastrophic about it other than the effect on my wallet.

I know this is a somewhat controversial opinion, but tire blowouts are not anywhere near the top of my list of things to worry about on the road, even with a single axle trailer. It happens -- you pull over, put on the spare and go on with life.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I've seen a number of references to people upgrading to dual axle trailers from single axle trailers due to the risk of catastrophic blowouts. Searching the forum I saw one or two reports of people having blowouts on single axle trailers and the blowout was not catastrophic. I'm interested in hearing additional stories of blowouts on single axle trailers either first or secondhand, and whether they ended up as accidents, or alternatively if they were controllable. Please also mention if there was a weight distribution hitch involved and estimated speed, if known.
Hi: paulk... From 2006 - 2014 towed single axle trailers. Never had a blow out. I did change the valve stems after reading warnings about them. Had a flat tire on my 5.0TA last winter. I suspect the first tire to run over the dry wall screw set it up for the second one to pick IT up. Noticed the tire was flat the day after setting the trailer up in the campground. $15. to repair it and still holding air!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
I had a wheel completely come off of a Coleman popup tent trailer once. It was a big one and probably weighed about 2,000 lbs or so. I knew when it happened right away because the truck yawed a bit as the trailer suddenly swerved and dragged on one side. Other than the initial yaw there were no stability issues and it was very controllable. I watched the wheel roll away into the sagebrush in my side-view mirror.

Speed was about 45 on a dirt road with washboard. Tow vehicle was a Toyota truck. No weight distributing hitch.

There was nothing catastrophic about it other than the effect on my wallet.

I know this is a somewhat controversial opinion, but tire blowouts are not anywhere near the top of my list of things to worry about on the road, even with a single axle trailer. It happens -- you pull over, put on the spare and go on with life.

I also had a blowout on my Coleman popup, about a 2200 lb. trailer. I was towing with a Chevy Suburban with no WDH and I barely felt anything different. I did also see in the mirrors that the trailer was not level so I pulled off and put on the spare. It did not seem scary or dangerous.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Also I was traveling 65-70 mph on a highway, and I got stopped before the tire could begin to break apart. It did no damage.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape
Blowout of curbside tire on 15b wile traveling on interstate at 65 mph, no wdh.The trailer shuddered but tracked straight and stopped under complete control. The tread was completely separated from the sidewalls. No damage to wheel well. Worrying about a blowout would not be a factor for me in choosing a tandem axle trailer.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had a flat tire on my 21 Escape and did not stop for about an hour, noticed it when I pulled in for gas. When changing the lugs were loose. I was able to continue with my spare and plugged the tire that had a screw. Never noticed anything amiss while towing, no w/d set up.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Blew a tire on my Scamp 5th wheel. No problems w/stability or safety just with repairing the hole in the floor that was flogged by a shredded tire. I pulled over as soon as I could but the tire shredded right away. Note to self always use towing mirrors so I can keep an eye out for soft tires! (forgot mirrors at home...once)
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had a flat tire on my 21 Escape and did not stop for about an hour, noticed it when I pulled in for gas. When changing the lugs were loose. I was able to continue with my spare and plugged the tire that had a screw. Never noticed anything amiss while towing, no w/d set up.
I'm thinking of picking up an after market RF tire pressure monitor to give notice when one of the tandem tires underinflated or flat.

Looking on amazon, this unit seems suitable:

https://www.amazon.ca/CARCHET-Pressu...+monitor&psc=1
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
... I watched the wheel roll away into the sagebrush in my side-view mirror. ...
Not to sidetrack this interesting thread too much, but my parents once had an entire axle/wheel/tire assembly suddenly depart the right rear of their 1972 (?) International Travelall, roll off to the side of the road and start a small prairie fire. After all the excitement, as the last local volunteer fire department truck was pulling away, my parents suddenly realized they were stranded there with a disabled vehicle and were able to flag down the firetruck driver to start the next phase of their memorable journey. Stuff happens....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Before I got my Escape 19, I had a vintage 1968 Aristocrat 16 with one axle. We were towing at 65 MPH along I-80 in Wyoming. I heard a flap-flap sound, then it stopped, then it got louder and I realized that I had a problem. The tire lost pressure and a large chunk of rubber. I was towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a weight distribution hitch. I slowed and pulled to the shoulder with complete control. I changed the tire and proceeded, and bought a replacement the next day. The biggest problem was the semi who blew the trailer off its jack and fortunately, I had just put the spare on the lugs which held it in place. Very scary. The only damage was that the tire beat against the wheel well and made a small gap in one end of it. I attribute no greater damage to the quality build of the Aristocrat. I believe we would still be using it today if it had had a bathroom. And I always use a WDH.
Attached Thumbnails
Flat_tire.jpg  
Old 02-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Flagstaff
Had a blowout with 18 foot travel trailer, 60 mph. Stability Ok,not catastrophic. Just stop on side of the road and replace with spare.
Bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
I have witnessed live two single axle trailers blow a tire on interstates, a pop up camper about 10 years ago and a 17' Casita being towed by my buddy a few years ago. Both were controlled successfully by slowing and pulling over to the side of the rode. My buddy was in the neighborhood of 65 mph+ with no WDH on his 4 Runner. Temp was around 90*F after crossing the Colorado River heading home on I-40 after a week in the Sedona area with our hiking club.
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
When I first started towing I asked trucker friends and would query truckers at truckstops from time to time about pulling single axle vs dual axle trailers. Never had one tell me if given a choice they’d pull a single axle over a dual. They wouldn’t have an issue pulling a single axle trailer, but would choose a dual if available.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Academic question: Let's say someone needs to haul 2,000 pounds of something 3,000 miles from Boston, MA, to San Diego, CA, in an enclosed utility trailer. They can make the trip using a single-axle utility trailer at roughly maximum GVWR, or using a double-axle utility trailer at roughly half maximum GVWR. All else being equal (tow vehicle, trailer size and frontal area, good tires at rated pressure and no blowouts, etc., etc.), what are the pros and cons of selecting the single vs. double axle trailer? My gut reaction would be to go with the single-axle trailer guessing there would be less drag from fewer wheel bearing having to spin so perhaps slightly better fuel efficiency to get the same job done. In the words of Vinny Gambini (from "My Cousin Vinny"), "Does that hold water?"
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ah yes the old international travelall. My brother had one years ago. When it shelled out we towed it into the back yard and used it as a greenhouse ( cold frame) for a couple years. Tomatoes and peppers did well. Doors open during the day, closed at night. Lots of glass.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-04-2018, 11:49 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Our 17B had a blowout on a four lane highway going about 55 mph with a wdh.There was no control issue. We noticed a rumbling sound and a thumping noise. The tire was shredded and left marks in the wheel well and side.
We pulled over, called Good Sam roadside assistance, waited 45 minutes. No help arrived but a local told us of a tire shop about 3/4 mile up the hill. I did not feel comfortable changing it myself with narrow shoulder and an uphill situation. We limped in. Got a repair. The rim was scratched but the tire guy said it was good enough for the spare.
Lessons learned....get new tires before they are five years old. We discovered the other tire sidewall was also showing cracks. Inspect tires more carefully before each drive. Find a better roadside assistance company.

Has anyone used AAA for roadside assistance? Any suggestions or experiences with other outfits?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't think 45 minute wait is all that unusual no matter what roadside assistance you use. They're probably all contracting the same trucks anyway.
I called BCAA once and the driver told me what BCAA paid barely covered the cost of showing up. He wasn't even making minimum wage off the deal, but he had to fulfill the contract or lose all the calls.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I always like to be on the safe side so I purchased a dual axle cargo trailer to transport my 1200 pound side by side. Overkill but the price was right. The extra axle gives me another set of brakes and the ride is smooth. Since then I purchased a 4000 pound tractor which fits inside so I make good use of the trailer.
However if I was to do it again just for the side by side I would get the single axle. The reason being that doing tight turns and u turns on narrow country roads rips the crap out of the tires when there are dual axles. I drive way out of my way to avoid this. Most cargo trailers have leaf springs which places the axles much further apart and amplifies the problem.
Doesn’t answer your cross country question directly but may help others to consider their actual requirement.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote