Tool Kit? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would not waste my money on a 12v compressor, particularly one that uses a cigarette lighter plug. The wiring of the plug limits your power, if you do purchase one, get the direct to the battery connection. Instead I suggest a small 120v compressor. I realize you need power but the efficiency is so much better. It takes a lot less time to fill your tires with a 120v model than a 12v model compressor. They just are not powerful enough.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would not waste my money on a 12v compressor, particularly one that uses a cigarette lighter plug. The wiring of the plug limits your power, if you do purchase one, get the direct to the battery connection. Instead I suggest a small 120v compressor. I realize you need power but the efficiency is so much better. It takes a lot less time to fill your tires with a 120v model than a 12v model compressor. They just are not powerful enough.
I have a Viair 88p, which can easily inflate a large 4x4 tire from very low to highway pressure in less than 5 minutes. it uses battery clips off your vehicle (or RV) battery. its duty cycle is such that you can run it for 20 minutes on a hot day before it needs to cool down.

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/88p

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #43

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Viair uses some goofy specs, my 300P says it has a duty cycle of 33% @ 100 psi, whatever that means.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #44
Site Team

I believe that translates to 20 minutes on, 40 off, but thats when pumping 100PSI, which isn't very often or for very long. they do get hot with high pressure tires.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:57 PM   #45

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought the reason some choose to put exterior 12V outlets on both sides was for a compressor. Viair makes some nice models with a cigarette plug. Outlets need to be rated for 15A though.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:02 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I thought the reason some choose to put exterior 12V outlets on both sides was for a compressor. Viair makes some nice models with a cigarette plug. Outlets need to be rated for 15A though.
FYI, my viair 88p can draw up to 20 amps. In fact, they recommend running the engine to boost the voltage.

I have run it with my portable battery, however, a 12v 20ah AGM...
Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
FYI, my viair 88p can draw up to 20 amps. In fact, they recommend running the engine to boost the voltage.

I have run it with my portable battery, however, a 12v 20ah AGM...
I see the 88P and larger are power hungry. I was looking at the Viair 87P and smaller. Won't be as fast inflating, but would still get the job done with a max amp draw of 15A. For how short this is running you could run the tow vehicle to help (assuming you are hitched up) and if you have solar that is helping too.

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables

I wired my own Furrion 12V outlet on the exterior which is wired and fused for 15A for the possible future use of a compressor. I will be sure to be cognizant of the amp draw.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I see the 88P and larger are power hungry. I was looking at the Viair 87P and smaller. Won't be as fast inflating, but would still get the job done with a max amp draw of 15A.....

hmm, max working pressure 60 PSI, is that sufficient? my truck uses 75PSI or something under max load, and I thought trailer tires were up around 65 PSI ?
Old 03-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
hmm, max working pressure 60 PSI, is that sufficient? my truck uses 75PSI or something under max load, and I thought trailer tires were up around 65 PSI ?
The maximum inflation pressure of Load Range D ST tires is 65 PSI (and Load Range E is 80 PSI); however, the maximum inflation pressure of Load Range C ST tires (all that is needed for any Escape) is 50 PSI, and that's also the inflation pressure recommended by Escape. You may choose higher pressure, and there are endless discussions of this available for reference.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #50
Site Team

oh, I know the endless args over weight based pressure (<= my camp) and max tire ratings.

its almost as bad as synth vs dino oil threads on the various car forums I've been known to lurk on.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
60 psi is plenty to get you out of a jam and the miles you’d need to get to a tire service facility where you could stop and straighten everything up to the pressures and arrangements you’re most comfortable with. i.e spare back in place, flat tire fixed or replaced, all tires and spares properly inflated and torqued on etc. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 03-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The maximum inflation pressure of Load Range D ST tires is 65 PSI (and Load Range E is 80 PSI); however, the maximum inflation pressure of Load Range C ST tires (all that is needed for any Escape) is 50 PSI, and that's also the inflation pressure recommended by Escape. You may choose higher pressure, and there are endless discussions of this available for reference.
Yes, our Maaxis 8008 6 ply load range C tires are 50 PSI max and I know stock Escape tires are similar. This was my reference when suggesting these other compressors would get the job done. Point is well taken though that if I were to ever replace tires with 8 ply load range D then max would be 65 PSI.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:28 AM   #53

Trailer: Minor life setbacks, but still trying...
Hi everyone, after wrenching on cars and trucks for the past 35 years I think I can answer this question with the utmost authority. While I used to have severe separation anxiety when I went on the road and left my 2,000 lb. roll away behind, my doctor has written several prescriptions and this is not so much of a problem anymore. However, I still cannot leave home without my air compressor. (Tires, leaves off the awning, parts cleaning, balloon filling, I love my compressor.) and a smallish floor jack, (2 ton is small, right?) The compressor requires a Honda generator to run but we all have generators, right? My doctor swears I do not need air tools while on the road, so I carry a 110v DeWalt 1/2" impact for tire changing and other imaginary suspension problems I might have. For those of you snickering, I can change a tire in the snow or put chains on the truck in under 10 min.
Flex Seal tape, Gorilla duct tape, good electrical tape, the $10 stuff, zip ties, electrical primary wire, crimp connectors, Fluke, jumper cables, tow strap, jack stands, a couple of Nebo Big Larry LED work lights and cheap overalls to crawl around in. This all fits along with my tool bag under the locking bed cover. I do stop for anyone that is stranded along the road.

If you don't want to play this game, a cell phone, AAA Premium and AMEX is all you need. Oh and one other thing, a crescent wrench is NOT a tool!
I think it's time for my medication now.
Jeff
Susi & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #54
Site Team

I plan on putting a powerpole on my 88P, (and the mating connector on its battery clips), and I've already got a pair of PP30's inside the 21 hooked up next to the main power panel each on its own 30A fuse... I can feed the compressor wire through the window for the street side, and out the door or window for the curb side tires. this because the power cord and compressor hose aren't quite long enough to reach the escape 21's axles from the front of my longbed F250, hah hah. and my 20AH 'portable power' battery is now mounted in a wood carry case with a car stereo as a portable sound system (which also has PP30 connectors on back so I can solar charge it, etc).
Old 03-16-2019, 01:32 AM   #55
Site Team

p.s. I agree re: crescent wrenches, they are pretty much an abomination, although I think I have a little 6" one in the bottom of my electrical toolkit, its handy on bicycle parts when you don't have the right size wrench.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 AM   #56

Trailer: Minor life setbacks, but still trying...
I do carry a small, 6" pipe wrench to remove nuts and bolts rounded off by people using Crescent wrenches. Works much better than Vise-Grips as you can put a cheater bar on it.
Jeff
Susi & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:28 AM   #57
Site Team

I have used pipe wrenches to remove severely damaged hardware. I always replace the hardware before reassembling.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #58

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
essential tools

Sorry if I missed this discussion on essential tools in this thread. I'll be picking up my 5.0 in a couple weeks and am not sure what torque wrench I need for my future Anderson ultimate hitch and tires for the 5th wheel. Also I ready that a 4 way lug wrench is needed but I'm not sure for what.

If anyone could confirm the required tools and socket sizes I'll need it would be much appreciated!
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #59

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Your 4 way lug wench should be fine for the Escape, as far as torque, they come in 3/8.1/2,3/4 drive, which ever you have the most sockets could work
Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You can buy a very inexpensive 1/2 inch drive torque wrench at Harbor freight. They cost either $20 all the time or $13 or 10 dollars on sale. They’re not great but we’ve tested them against good certified wrenches and they’re pretty close. For no more than you’ll need one they will do. You’ll need a 13/16 socket (I prefer a deep well) and a 1/2 inch extension about 6 inches long will make nut torquing easy and not an onerous chore. Torque wrenches are not used to break stuck nuts loose so that’s where a stiff wrench comes in. I prefer a 1/2 inch breaker bar about 18 inches long. In addition you can buy a single socket the size for your lug nuts on your tow vehicle. The breaker bar works much better than the wrench supplied with your tow rig. You can then forget about the unwieldy 4 way wrench all together. Even if you have an older four way wrench now, better check the lug nut size on your tow, such as on the Toyotas which are metric. Trial and error and asking the riding mechanic when you’re doing trailer tours at a rally to show you his (tools) will give you a good idea of how most are equipped.
Iowa Dave