Tools all over! Tell the Truth! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
As I pointed out to my daughter, Never marry a man without tools.
What was that that Red Green used to say, "if the girls don't find you handsome at least they can find you handy."

Sigh, now I'm going out and use some of my tools to fix the fence that two yearling bears knocked down last night. Again.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have one daughter and I am proud to say she can change a flat as well as use battery cables if the need arises.......... she and my grandsons came out and washed my Escape this past weekend. Very proud of her....
Old 10-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have one daughter and I am proud to say she can change a flat as well as use battery cables if the need arises.......... she and my grandsons came out and washed my Escape this past weekend. Very proud of her....
There is no better feeling in the world,in my opinion, than to be able to say “I’m proud of my children and grandchildren. I’m a few years away from ”Great” so I left that off. I’ve got 5 grandchildren 4 in the last three years. Camping with three next week.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #44

You are correct Dave and while reading it I could not help but think of the irony that we would be discussing this fact if asked about it 40 years ago.....
Old 10-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #45

Trailer: fleet wood tent trailer
That is a great story. You are right. I have met some wonderful people in camp grounds. We me some really great friends on a river cruise who happen to own an Escape 21 and they wintered down in Tucson. They invited us down, and we took them up on it. They showed us their camper which was impressive and then they introduced us to a couple that owned an Escape 19. We so fell in love with theirs that we are now waiting for our new one.
none at this time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #46

Hi Lyle
I have a very good friend who lives near Embarrass Minnesota. I first worked with him in a packing house 40 years ago. Then I hired him as a maintenance man and finally a foreman. He canoed the Boundary Waters every year on vacation. When he retired he bought a house up there and likes living there even in the winters. He put an electrical hookup on his yard light pole for me and one of the other foremen. Gotta get up there and visit him. I’ve only been to Duluth once. I like Simon and Garfield singing “Old Friends”. Best of luck with your trailer when you get it. We had a fold down for 22 years. The Escape is better.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #47

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
A recent thread that involved 'stud finders' leads me to ask the following:
How many sets of tools to you have? Not just how complete they are, but their geographical location. For example, my main set (most complete) is at the house. An additional set is at the cabin (150 miles away). A set in the truck (on-the-road related). And a set in the Escape (trailer related). A specific list of tools is not necessary, and interested parties may participate, regardless of sexual persuasion.
Ha, ha, that's a great topic for a thread! I am just getting into this with my first trailer, and I suspect a lot of members started out like me, with only one or two sets of tools. Over the past week or so I have spent hours trying to find the tools I need or might need to sort things out on the trailer, multiple trips to Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, not to mention up and down the stairs to the basement and garage to track down the tool I might need, and wonder how it got moved from its usual place. Quite often as well, I would get there and not remember why I had gone there in the first place, or how I got there! Hope that's not just me. I'd find for example, that my existing socket set stopped at 1 inch, a 1 1/16 inch one costs half the price of a whole new set, so might as well buy that new set. So I would say, there is no shame in having duplicate tool sets, in fact it is an absolute necessity! Now all I need is a new shredder to deal with all the receipts I've got.
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSOD View Post
Ha, ha, that's a great topic for a thread! I am just getting into this with my first trailer, and I suspect a lot of members started out like me, with only one or two sets of tools. Over the past week or so I have spent hours trying to find the tools I need or might need to sort things out on the trailer, multiple trips to Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, not to mention up and down the stairs to the basement and garage to track down the tool I might need, and wonder how it got moved from its usual place. Quite often as well, I would get there and not remember why I had gone there in the first place, or how I got there! Hope that's not just me. I'd find for example, that my existing socket set stopped at 1 inch, a 1 1/16 inch one costs half the price of a whole new set, so might as well buy that new set. So I would say, there is no shame in having duplicate tool sets, in fact it is an absolute necessity! Now all I need is a new shredder to deal with all the receipts I've got.
Your set up at sounds familiar to mine, a basement where power tools and hand tools are kept, a garage where another set of hand tools are kept and third, a well stocked tool box in the truck where tools needed for towing and camping are kept.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #49

Here is my truck tool box
Old 10-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Explain the concept please. Will nobody steal a brand new, glossy Jerry can?
Old 10-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Glenn, I have a tonneau cover, so it remains out of sight until needed.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #52

It was always said in the Midwest anyway, the only tool you can leave on a jobsite overnight is a pick axe. Nobody will steal those because nobody wants to use one. Probably not true any more.

One afternoon in the late fall we had a raccoon get into an exhibit at the zoo. The animal control people declined to help us him. He had been shot by someone in the neighborhood with a pellet gun I’d guess a few days before. I went over and put him out of his misery, I put him in the back of my pickup and went home for the day. On the way home I was trying to figure out what to do with him . As I turned off the highway., I stopped on the shoulder and laid him carefully on his “good” side. It was raccoon season and they were bringing about $10. An hour later I came back by on my way to go out for dinner. Coon was gone.

Works with about anything in a fresh Amazon box these days too. Even off your porch
Iowa Dave
Old 10-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #53

While growing up in Baltimore City, the hood's lifelines were the alley ways. Deliveries as well as the weekly horse drawn carts used the alley. Items not wanted were often put out at night and the next day was gone. My dad put out a toilet we replaced in the basement. It sat out for a couple of days with the sign "free", finally my father put a sign on it "4 sale-$5". Gone the next morning.......
Old 10-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSOD View Post
I'd find for example, that my existing socket set stopped at 1 inch, a 1 1/16 inch one costs half the price of a whole new set, so might as well buy that new set. So I would say, there is no shame in having duplicate tool sets, in fact it is an absolute necessity!.
The same thing happens for one size within a set: the most commonly used socket or wrench is lost in use... do you buy just that one, or another set, perhaps with another feature (flex, deep, 6-point...)? I think there should be duplicates of the most commonly used sizes right in the original set.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Less likely than a tool box, because it doesn't appear to be worth as much.

I've seen the same thing with a propane tank. I would rather just keep tools in a locked compartment.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 2019 21'
The story is what makes the knife a once in a life time special and personal possession.
vmomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:26 AM   #57

Trailer: 2020 21'NE
I haven't seen anyone say "the tool box in my craft room/office that my husband can't use." Okay, he CAN use them, but only after asking for permission! He's not great at putting things away after using them. We have a big shop area in the garage full of tools. But I always know where 'my' tools are! It's the box with all the basics (screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, socket sets, hammer, wonder bar, small level, tape measure - most all the things I might need), and on the same shelf is my little drill.

I also have a basic set of tools in MY car - Dad never wanted us to be stranded someplace, so we had to know all the basics. Not that I could really work on my car, but the big adjustable wrench is a good weapon.

And of course, the set in the trailer. This past week we discovered has 3 different colors of electrical tape, and no teflon tape. So that was a bummer when our outside gooseneck faucet leaked. Next trip we'll have one roll of electrical tape and one roll of teflon. Micro adjustments.
tukwilma is offline   Reply With Quote