Tools all over! Tell the Truth! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 E19
Tools all over! Tell the Truth!

A recent thread that involved 'stud finders' leads me to ask the following:
How many sets of tools to you have? Not just how complete they are, but their geographical location. For example, my main set (most complete) is at the house. An additional set is at the cabin (150 miles away). A set in the truck (on-the-road related). And a set in the Escape (trailer related). A specific list of tools is not necessary, and interested parties may participate, regardless of sexual persuasion.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #2

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Tools

Yep we have major tools at the house Table saw ,band saw ,6 drills different sets Sawzall, ,Circular saw ,and assorted hand. Tools. Tap and die set
Boat ,has its tool chest
Escape 21 has drill and assorted tools
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have screw driver sets and a hammer in a number of places, but I don't consider those tool sets. I have 2 sets of tools, one in the basement, and the much smaller truck set, which was also the camper set.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just bought a Highlander and discovered it doesn't have the hidey-holes that the RAV4 had ( got useless third-row seats instead ). I removed about 50 lbs. of tools ( who needs two air compressors? ).

Replaced it all with my BCAA and Visa cards.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
8 locations. Only place without tools is Rita’s vehicle. Otherwise I have tools close
At hand most of the time. I always have a knife in my pocket unless I have to get into a goobermint building and have to leave it in the car. I sometimes carry pruners, a leatherman, or a small pair of long nose vice grips, 5 or 6 inch, in a leather holder. When hunting I have a serious knife and a Havalon for fine work. I also like Gerber game scissors for dressing small game or birds. When I’m feeling vintage I carry my Wyoming knife and my Wyoming Saw.
I love to eat a can of sardines, tuna or kippered herring out in the woods when I take a break. I use a vintage hobo knife or my 1950 three piece George Schrade Boy Scout knife, fork and spoon in the leather case. I have worn through the key ring hole on 6 Powerful Pete key ring screwdrivers since my Dad gave me one in 1963. About one every ten years. My park workers knew I was a sucker for tools and a couple other things and could usually get a P.O for them if they called me and asked. I never turned down a request for exhaust parts, brakes, tires or recovering seats. I always said you can’t drive safely if a spring is poking you in the butt.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I sometimes carry pruners, a leatherman,
Iowa Dave
My leatherman is like an American Express card, I don't leave home without it. For many years I only carried a Gerber knife in a belt holster. Then a friend gave me a titanium leatherman. Basicially it's on my belt and I wear it from dawn to dusk. The pliers are so handy. I don't think that a day goes by that I don't use them.

Not being tool challenged I have them everywhere. Sometimes I wonder how many duplicates I need in the trailer. I'm improving, I've stopped carrying two torque wrenches.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have a complete set in my basement and one in my garage and a partial set I carry in the truck when towing. I also have a partial set in the Escape, under rear dinette.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Let me see , garage , studio , house including office , truck , Subie and of course the trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
All I’m going to say about this topic is that if I had to go through clothing and choose what to take on every trip, go through cooking supplies and choose what pans and utensils and grab those determined to be needed, etc., trip preparation and packing might take a month. And picking, choosing, and loading would likely lead to not having something that is needed should an “emergency,” major or minor arise. And being adequately funded in retirement while prioritizing convenience, yes, I have duplicate tools in the trailer or in the tow vehicle to eliminate any worry that I might not have a needed item. It’s all well and good that I have a 30-gallon air compressor on the floor of the garage at my home in Florida, but the hose won’t reach to a campground in Missoula, Montana should one of my tires need air. Interesting thread, but I do not really see it’s point. I would have to guess that 99% of forum members have the same mindset as me regarding duplicate tools for the trailer. And furthermore, if any tool were broken or lost while on the road, I would head to the nearest home improvement or hardware store to replace it because sometimes you are in the “middle of nowhere,” and may need it. MacGyvering a fix may sometimes be possible; it may be the only solution but it is usually not the best.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:49 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Air compressors are another item, one large upright one in garage with 50' hose, a small 2 tank one in basement for my air tools, a portable one I carry in truck for tires on the road. Gee, anyone need road service??...........
Old 09-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Beyond the hilarious comments , I suspect that 99% of this forum (and similar ones elsewhere) could probably cut and paste the responses as their own.

Of course that'd be based on housing, outbuildings, vehicle types, associated toys and ones individual needs and interests. Add duplicated needs based on personal forgetfulness (Where's that widget tightener I bought in 1997 at the hardware store in Hooterville ).

You can remember you had it, where you got it, the price, why you needed it, but you're damned if you can remember where it is now.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #12

Parallel Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Beyond the hilarious comments , I suspect that 99% of this forum (and similar ones elsewhere) could probably cut and paste the responses as their own.

Of course that'd be based on housing, outbuildings, vehicle types, associated toys and ones individual needs and interests. Add duplicated needs based on personal forgetfulness (Where's that widget tightener I bought in 1997 at the hardware store in Hooterville ).

You can remember you had it, where you got it, the price, why you needed it, but you're damned if you can remember where it is now.
I am doing some straightening up in my detached garage. I am finding some good stuff (to me). and at the same time there’s the “when am I ever going to use this?” Feeling. My mild mean streak crops up once In a while when I decide to give away something that is neat but really has no value. It’s the “let someone else deal with it” syndrome.

I think I’ve had the most fun at rallies with the give away tarp. It’s always fun to hear the “it’s free? And “I sure could use that” comments as one camper’s trash becomes another camper’s treasure. If you attend rallies take some stuff for the free tarp. If they don’t have one, organize one. Much Fun.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #13

How is it that if I have a pair of pliers, I only have one?
Old 09-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
My leatherman is like an American Express card, I don't leave home without it. For many years I only carried a Gerber knife in a belt holster. Then a friend gave me a titanium leatherman. Basicially it's on my belt and I wear it from dawn to dusk. The pliers are so handy. I don't think that a day goes by that I don't use them.

Not being tool challenged I have them everywhere. Sometimes I wonder how many duplicates I need in the trailer. I'm improving, I've stopped carrying two torque wrenches.

Ron
I've carried (and use almost every day) an original Leatherman Supertool since my wife gave it to me as a birthday present in 1995. Unfortunately, I broke the tip off the knife blade & tried to get it repaired (they are guaranteed for life). The Supertool was retired in 2001 & parts are not available, even if you stop at the factory in Oregon. A little grinding, and I now have a shorter, but still useful knife blade.

I've been through 2 leather belt pouches, but the tool lives on!

As to tools in different places, all locations have wrenches, screwdrivers, tape measures, and the often used tools, but each location has more that are related to the location. For example, no tire pressure gauge in the basement, but one in the truck. No drill press in the trailer, but one in the garage.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I tried a couple Leatherman Multi tools, just too bulky for my needs. I've carried a Victorinox Tinker for something like the last 30 years, not the same one all 30. It must handle 50% of the tasks I run into.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Garage has a pegboard with the usual stuff. And a bag that has circular saw, reciprocating saw, drill and too many drill bits. Bag that goes in the car when I am towing has a small tool box with fuses, hammer, pliers, screwdrivers, Reflectors, folding shovel, wd40, painters tape, a big sharpie, a tape measure, a jack handle with four sizes of socket, a mallet, an inflator, a couple of locks and cable, add the house drill, cotter pins, duct tape. Car has an old sock with a couple screwdrivers and pliers and a wrench and jumper cables. Glovebox has Swiss army knife, multi screwdriver, packing tape and sharpie, tire pressure gauge.

Glenn, there’s a little space under each of the back seats, and if you move those seats forward there’s a good space for hiking poles and other stuff like that between the seats and the back deck, even when you move the seats all the way back. And there are some places under the back deck where the spare and tire irons etc are.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #17

I like the Swiss Army knives too. I have one that I’ve not looked up for what model it is but they are a very good little knife. I like those little scissors and the tweezers as I seem to always be getting a sliver or thorn that needs attention.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #18

Leatherman Micra is always in my pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.50.52 AM.png  
Old 09-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
I have a different dilemma. We are getting ready to go "full time" in our 21C, hopefully in January. I keep going out to my workshop and envision getting rid of a lifetime of tool accumulation. Drill press, table saw, band saw and a world of other tools. With all of the downsizing to do, I think that getting rid of tools is the hardest part. My wife even agrees that it is the most difficult part.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
I have a different dilemma. We are getting ready to go "full time" in our 21C, hopefully in January. I keep going out to my workshop and envision getting rid of a lifetime of tool accumulation. Drill press, table saw, band saw and a world of other tools. With all of the downsizing to do, I think that getting rid of tools is the hardest part. My wife even agrees that it is the most difficult part.
I feel for you. I retired from being the electronics support for the theater department at our local location of the SUNY system. I had an excellent electronics, wood working, and metal shop when ever I needed them. Now, it is down to a chop saw & tiny drill press in the garage. Sure do miss the 14" table saw & MIG welder.