Tools & parts needed for long trip - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Yes, a #2 head.
A Red Robbie.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A Red Robbie.
That sounds like a potent potable........No, I’m thinking of a Rob Roy.....never mind

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
That sounds like a potent potable........No, I’m thinking of a Rob Roy.....never mind
The Black Robbie is the one to avoid, the Green and Yellow are much tamer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Although this was a tough question (I am a 'minimalist', with 'only' 30 lbs. of trailer/camping tools), here's a few to add: needle-nose pliers, channel-lock pliers, hammer, flat bar.
Edit: tried to post only a small photo, failed: just google "flat bar". Arghhhh

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
This is my regular list. It's probably more basic than a lot of people carry.
duct tape
8"crescent wrench
Phillips and regular screwdriver, 2 sizes of each.
channel locks
needle nose pliers
zip ties
razor knife
multitool
a small level
hammer
hacksaw
electric adapters
mini pry bar
electrical tape
extra fuses
garden gloves
utility scissors
a plastic poncho for wearing or lying on to fix something underneath
wd40
measuring tape
reflective tape
a couple sizes bungy cords
a length of lightweight cord
a master lock and cable
drill, charger, and a few bits
large flashlight
That's a reasonable effort at being able to deal with issues on the road. There's never a perfect amount of stuff to have.

What I think is important about having some tools and spares with you is that it fosters a "can-do" attitude and makes a person more likely to look around and see if they can spot and fix the problem rather than hoping that someone else can come and fix it for them. A positive attitude can go a long way in problem solving.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
I second the zip ties. And add the following:
- socket for your electric tongue jack. If you have the electric tongue jack option, and it fails, a socket can be used to raise and lower. Mine is a 3/4 socket, others may be different.
- spare vinyl hose. Based on the recent forum events I bought the standard 10ft spool of 1/2 ID vinyl hose with the white reinforcement. I also got a brass barb coupling, hose clamps and a couple of garden hose adapters. I intend to make a hose for filling from jerry cans, so the garden hose adapters, but the extra in case of a rupture. Upon a not so close inspection, I think the only place I have this hose in my late 2017 Escape 21 is now on the city water inlet. The rest is pex piping.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #27

Trailer: 17B
I recommend bringing along some self-fusing tape: good for temporary fixes for leaking water lines (including leaky hose lines and connections). Here is one such brand product but there are others out there. The stuff is streachy-sticky and can be used for other purposes.

Fusion Pro Self-fusing Silicone Tape, White | Canadian Tire
David Todtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I buy that self fusing tape and toss it in my tool kit, will it still be useful in six years? I keep buying stuff that I have to throw away because it no longer works as it would when new, or material has hardened in a tube.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I don't always carry the same tool sets and supplies, and have several different levels. If the trip is in a fairly populated area with good access to hardware stores, etc. I'll carry a lighter set of tools, parts and the credit card. Boondocking in the middle of nowhere, I load up two sets of different tools and a container of parts and repair items.
Guess it's a situational thing. Trying to get it blended to a universal kit for when we go on the the road FT/PT.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If I buy that self fusing tape and toss it in my tool kit, will it still be useful in six years? I keep buying stuff that I have to throw away because it no longer works as it would when new, or material has hardened in a tube.
My experience: bought a roll about 15 years ago. Used a bit here and there over the years and it was good as it aged. I have the original roll I purchased but I should check to make sure it is still pliable.
David Todtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
As long as you keep it clean, it will last. The tape is rolled with a cellophane protective layer. Otherwise, it would stick to itself. If dirt gets all in there, it might be spoiled. Hmm..I don't know about water? If submerged, would the roll be fine?

But six years is the limit.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
A small greenhouse for medical marijuana ( for some states and provinces ) .
And a watering can .......
Old 01-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Jim, i guess they're not really gardening gloves...more like yardwork gloves. Sometimes I need to twist and my hands won't grip with the needed force. I suppose I could use a tool for that. Sometimes things are messy and I don't want my hands all goopy. Like coiling a wet muddy hose while simultaneously wiping it off with a rag.

Which brings to mind another couple of necessities: some rags or old towels, and a plastic tube of wet wipes. I've never gotten in the car to drive away without having dirty hands from chocks, hoses, etc etc. so a wet wipe is the "I'm ready to leave" ritual.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #34

Quote:
A more correct name is "self-amalgamating" tape. Sometimes called "rescue tape". I've used it for years. I've had rolls for long times but don't know what's the longest time. I've never seen any indication that it suffered from degradation over time.

Know what you mean about stuff hardening in tubes. I've thrown out countless tubes of silicone, where I've just used a small amount. Did I just sense that Donna just cringed? Another item that also doesn't seem to age well is liquid electrical tape.

Ron
Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
A more correct name is "self-amalgamating" tape.
This is what I know it as too. I keep a small roll in my electrical box for work, but never thought to bring it along when camping. When I was in the power industry we used tons of it doing terminations on high voltage underground lines. Always covered it with a quality electrical tape when exposed to sunlight.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #36

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
flat bar.
Edit: tried to post only a small photo, failed: just google "flat bar". Arghhhh
I did and it came up with long bars of steel. Can't see needing that particular item for repairs!

thanks to everyone for contributing their ideas on what all I need to bring in regards to tools and repair stuff. I have some of the items already mentioned, but definitely not all of them. I have some flexible gloves with grip stuff on the palms which has helped. Definitely not garden gloves.

I did get a good laugh from the "can-do" attitude comment. Does that include a whole bunch of swearing?

Okay, looks like tools have been covered, unless someone thinks of something else. Oh, thanks for the comment on the socket for the jack. I had been thinking about what the heck to do if it doesn't work, so definitely will add that to the list of stuff to add. I think I'll need a bit larger tool box as mine is pretty dinko. (and it's black. Now if they had a royal blue or purple one! )

So, other than the fuses already mentioned, what other spare parts should I bring along? I seem to remember something to do with the water pump or ?? has been mentioned in the past. Oh, sail switch - maybe that was it. For the furnace, wasn't it? Yep, you can tell I really remembered that particular item.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Jim, i guess they're not really gardening gloves...more like yardwork gloves. Sometimes I need to twist and my hands won't grip with the needed force. I suppose I could use a tool for that. Sometimes things are messy and I don't want my hands all goopy. Like coiling a wet muddy hose while simultaneously wiping it off with a rag.

Which brings to mind another couple of necessities: some rags or old towels, and a plastic tube of wet wipes. I've never gotten in the car to drive away without having dirty hands from chocks, hoses, etc etc. so a wet wipe is the "I'm ready to leave" ritual.
I kinda knew they were used as a work glove, was just taking your chain. I carry a few pair of work gloves in my truck. Always handy.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #38

[QUOTE=NW Cat Owner;232302
I did get a good laugh from the "can-do" attitude comment. Does that include a whole bunch of swearing?

[/QUOTE]

I'd say "it depends". It depends on whether the person is swearing while they're still beating their head against the wall to solve the problem or whether they're swearing while walking away and giving up.

But seriously, I've taught enough people how to do things to know that once a person tries to do a task that they haven't done before and succeeds the greater the chance that they'll try to do another task on their own. Success breeds success.

Ron
Old 01-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
I've started carrying spare battery connectors (lugs?). Those thingies that connect the cable to battery post.
Lost power once and checked everything until I thought to check the batteries. I should have known to start at the beginning.
I now keep extra connectors with the spare fuses.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Did I just sense that Donna just cringed?
My skin starts on fire when the words silicone and Donna are used in the same post. That's how I knew!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote