Tools at pickup and first journey?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
A lot of folks like the Andersen levelers, yet at over $80 they are more than double a good slant leveler. Been using these for 6 years; Jim Norman posted them way back. Only place I've ever seen these Orange ones are at Camping World and they are $43. Dimensions aren't given, yet they are 14.5" long X 5" wide X 3" tall.

Just found these Yellow ramps on Amazon and they are 16" X 6" X 4" tall. For $31 with a level am getting these for spares.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Slant level.jpg   Slant2.jpg  
Old 12-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do you jam regular chock's on the opposite side of the ramps to keep from rolling back down?
Old 12-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yes, however on the unramped side with the big rubber ones from Harbor Freight, and if needed the Bal X Chocks too. And neither if still hitched.
Attached Thumbnails
chock.jpg  
Old 12-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #24
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Bring ....a rubber hammer if you need to persuade the hitch to let go, I used a brass hammer the first time.
Hammers are good to have, but on the other hand, if you find yourself in a 'sticky hitch' situation, instead of grabbing a hammer, here's another approach: With your trailer wheels firmly chocked, try popping your TV into neutral and release the brakes briefly. This can relieve some of the tension on the ball and coupler, making it easier to unhitch. We appreciate this tip from someone here on the forum because it has worked every time for us - just paying it forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
A few more items:

a 30 amp to 15 amp electrical adapter. $6.99 at Harbor Freight. This lets you plug in your trailer at home or if you stop at a friends house or a camp spot that doesn't have the best electric service. You can't run all your stuff at once, but you can get by.
Last year, Escape provided a 30 amp to 15 amp electrical adapter, for us in our goodie package so, you could ask and confirm with them if that is still included. Oh and that screwdriver they provide is awesome! Very useful. That never leaves our trailer either! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
This year we got the 30 to 15 adapter and the wonderful screwdriver with the trailer. That screwdriver is the best swag ever.
One other thing is a decent sewer hose if you are not getting the upgraded one on your build sheet. Apologies if I missed that in the thread.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEscape View Post
2. Tires/hubs, axel: I saw somewhere that it would be wise to tighten the hubs every few 100 miles, but I really do not know what torque wrench to purchase (brand, foot lbs, style).
I assume you mean lug nuts. The attached is from the Escape Owner’s Manual. It gives you the tightening procedure, torque values and interval. On your maiden voyage and anytime a tire is reinstalled Escape recommends checking torque at approximately 60, 125 and 185 miles.

Also since you are new to RVing I highly recommend reading the entire online Owner’s Manual before you pick up your trailer: https://escapetrailer.com/wp-content...al-5.25.20.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
6B712857-4A67-493C-9736-7C89EC2C4A0B.jpg  
Old 12-15-2020, 07:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I really don't know how you adjust the brakes on the road. You might do that when you go home or ask what other people do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I assume this refers to the mechanical adjustment of clearance in the brake mechanism at each wheel...
Escape actually states in the Owner’s Maunual to adjust the brakes after approximately 500km/300 miles but I think this is rarely done in practice. Then again every 3 months or approximately 5000km/3100 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
D7A125D8-FCF0-48B9-9255-66C05F3A65C7.jpg  
Old 12-15-2020, 08:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hammers are good to have, but on the other hand, if you find yourself in a 'sticky hitch' situation, instead of grabbing a hammer, here's another approach: With your trailer wheels firmly chocked, try popping your TV into neutral and release the brakes briefly. This can relieve some of the tension on the ball and coupler, making it easier to unhitch. We appreciate this tip from someone here on the forum because it has worked every time for us - just paying it forward!

Last year, Escape provided a 30 amp to 15 amp electrical adapter, for us in our goodie package so, you could ask and confirm with them if that is still included. Oh and that screwdriver they provide is awesome! Very useful. That never leaves our trailer either! -Bea
Nice tip, but this was the first time we unhitched, it was stuck badly. Greased it the next day. Newbie maistake.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21C, 2021 Model Year
Hi, to all of you who posted some suggestions tools and things to have on board when I pick up in April....thank you, thank you! This has been very helpful.
TomEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 21C, 2021 Model Year
Thanks, Bea. I scanned through the manual Escape has online and did not see this diagram. Very helpful!
TomEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #31
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEscape View Post
Thanks, Bea. I scanned through the manual Escape has online and did not see this diagram. Very helpful!
I want to say 'You're Welcome', but it was 'Ever so helpful Rubicon327' that steered you to the online Escape manual so I will boomerang your thanks over to him! Cheers, -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 21C - March Delivery
No goodie bags/welcome kits available anymore.
AmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #33

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Not sure what you mean about no goodie bags/welcome kits. Our 19’ was delivered the end of October and we got the same stuff as with prior trailer; screwdriver, plug adapter, fridge gizmos that keep door ajar in storage, couple of notepads, pen, and a few other small things. One of the best things (besides the screwdriver of course) is the laminated arrival and departure checklist.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:12 AM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
The Welcome Kit is an add on. You pay for it.

It contains stuff like toilet paper, chemicals for the toilet and things that you need to hook up the trailer and start camping. It includes filling your propane tanks so you can just pick up and go.

So you don't need it if you know what to do. I didn't know anything when I started, so I bought it. We were planning on going straight to Osoyoos after pick up, but that went to 'hell in a hand basket'. Still using the chemicals but have already purchased more.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
The Welcome Kit is an add on. You pay for it.

It contains stuff like toilet paper, chemicals for the toilet and things that you need to hook up the trailer and start camping. It includes filling your propane tanks so you can just pick up and go.

So you don't need it if you know what to do. I didn't know anything when I started, so I bought it. We were planning on going straight to Osoyoos after pick up, but that went to 'hell in a hand basket'. Still using the chemicals but have already purchased more.
That's not the Welcome Kit, that's the Starter Kit.
Attached Thumbnails
StarterKit.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #36

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
I don’t have the 2021 build sheet handy and have to look it up but I do not recall seeing anything called a welcome or starter kit. There are a number of individual line items, e.g. chocks, propane that one can pay for and include for delivery. I did not see toilet paper, etc. listed.

We too had scheduled our delivery for the second part of May expecting to swing by Osoyoos, but losing hopes of being able to do that given situation. It’s unlikely our turn with the vaccine will arrive in time.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #37

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
I was able to confirm that there is no such thing as a Welcome or Starter kit on the build sheet. Instead - there are line items for additional options to include. I don't see anything like the toilet paper listed there. I am attaching my current selections to this post...
Attached Thumbnails
Aditional Options.GIF  
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #38

Trailer: "The Roadrunner" 2021 Escape 5.0
Thanks Tom for asking this question. We want to pick up our 5.0 in Washington and bring it back to New Mexico, these imputs will help us bring what we need.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #39
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
All great ideas! I also agree that the Allen key is important! This is the only problem that we have ever had with the Escape (besides the windows leaking and having to add the little covers over the windows). The water pump would not turn off and this was not something that is readily available at hardware stores, we discovered.
Somewhere on this forum, there was a great list of essentials (not tools) in a document format to have in your trailer for camping that was so handy!
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #40

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Did anyone receiving their trailer this year, 2021, get a Robertson screwdriver with their trailer? Read somewhere on this forum that they were included in the past, but I know times have changed and new management. We did not get one with our trailer. Guess we'll have to add it to our shopping list.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote