Totally Freaking Out! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Would that route be OK in January?
No guarantees there. If we got snow, and that's a big IF, it's usually only around for a day or two. Last year, we had virtually no winter at all around here. Highway 9 is in the lowlands and does not go through what we PNWers call the foothills (of the Cascades) so it almost never has snow. Unless it snows, of course.

If there is snow, it is just as likely that I-5 would have it, too.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Here's the Highway 9 suggested route...
Karen,
While we're discussing routes up there, how about:

546 west to 539 south, then 11 (Chuckanut Hwy) along the coast south to 20.
traffic, weather impediments?

(We did Hwy 9 when we left ETI last Nov.: very peaceful, pleasant drive through the country. Added plus was the railroad close by.)

Edit: PS: aren't new Escapees supposed to check in with you when passing through Bellingham?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
As always, in Winter, weather is the uncontrolled variable that determines if it's an easy pleasant trip or white knuckles.

Karen's suggested route is a scenic route on secondary roads. It would fine if the weather was good.

Personally, I'd take 546 West to 539, also known as Guide Meridian, and shoot down it to I-5. Quicker, and if conditions aren't great, more likely to be plowed.

But either routes fine and if the pick-up process at ETI takes longer than expected the I-5 route is quicker.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #24

546 West is good but 539 South (the Guide) can be jammed with traffic by the time one hits B'ham. I avoid it even when just driving. The OP was "totally freaking out" and that's why I suggested Hwy 9, a scenic, peaceful, light-traffic route. It may not be a quick (who's in a hurry?) but it won't give you white knuckles. As to Chuckanut? I wouldn't take a trailer down that for all the tea in China--even little Egbert. It has some extremely tight corners and is very narrow. It is one of the most scenic routes around but stay at Bayview State Park and just drive north a few miles to take it in...along with the Bread Farm in Edison.

The chance of snow in January? Who knows...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 08-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Lots of great comments posted here. It's great to hear everyone's experiences. Karen thanks for the local insight. I'm still looking for a local campground for the night. I expect to be stateside by mid afternoon. I will have a 12yr with me who loves pools. We are East bound after pickup, might visit the coast before. Personal recommdations with pull throughs?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Karen,

Edit: PS: aren't new Escapees supposed to check in with you when passing through Bellingham?
Yes! And I just remembered to check on Jon V's whereabouts (much too late) and learned he stayed in B'ham and even went to Whatcom Falls Park which is a stone's throw from my house. Nuts...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 08-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #27

Quote:
546 West is good but 539 South (the Guide) can be jammed with traffic by the time one hits B'ham. I avoid it even when just driving. The OP was "totally freaking out" and that's why I suggested Hwy 9, a scenic, peaceful, light-traffic route. It may not be a quick (who's in a hurry?) but it won't give you white knuckles. As to Chuckanut? I wouldn't take a trailer down that for all the tea in China--even little Egbert. It has some extremely tight corners and is very narrow. It is one of the most scenic routes around but stay at Bayview State Park and just drive north a few miles to take it in...along with the Bread Farm in Edison.

The chance of snow in January? Who knows...
Thanks much, Karen. We'll do 539/546/9 northbound to ETI, so we can get gas at Costco. Then southbound we'll use 9/542/I5 and then make our way to Bay View SP. Looks like a Skype call might be in order by my navigator. (on Sept. 21.)
Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Sorry, Karen. I didn't know about that requirement. Had I known, I would have contacted you. When my wife and I picked ours up in May, we went back to the motel in Ferndale to load all our stuff in it. We were only a few miles up the road.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Thanks much, Karen. We'll do 539/546/9 northbound to ETI, so we can get gas at Costco. Then southbound we'll use 9/542/I5 and then make our way to Bay View SP. Looks like a Skype call might be in order by my navigator. (on Sept. 21.)
Okay, there's a detour from the 542 just west of the Hwy 9 intersection to repair a culvert/bridge over Anderson Creek. It's not a big deal but just be aware that you'll be taking the Smith Road cut-off from 542 to the Everson Goshen Road and then the E-G Road south back onto 542. I think the detour will be there for many weeks. Again, it's not big deal and the detour routes are very good roads.

Regarding Bayview, I just might make it down there. I'm heading out on a road trip that day (Sept 21) but may just "swing by."
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 08-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Okay, there's a detour from the 542 just west of the Hwy 9 intersection to repair a culvert/bridge over Anderson Creek. It's not a big deal but just be aware that you'll be taking the Smith Road cut-off from 542 to the Everson Goshen Road and then the E-G Road south back onto 542. I think the detour will be there for many weeks. Again, it's not big deal and the detour routes are very good roads.
Whew! Thanks for the head's up.

Quote:
Regarding Bayview, I just might make it down there. I'm heading out on a road trip that day (Sept 21) but may just "swing by."
Great.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Yes! And I just remembered to check on Jon V's whereabouts (much too late) and learned he stayed in B'ham and even went to Whatcom Falls Park which is a stone's throw from my house. Nuts...
Sorry I missed you! And you sure can tell it has been a dry year looking at Whatcom Falls. Just a trickle of water...

And, I will add that traffic on I5 can be pretty bad. I drove North around 1:00 on a Friday (probably a bad idea, but that was where I needed to go) and it was stop & go with lots of necessary lane changes to avoid exit only lanes. I'd prefer WA 9...
Old 08-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19
I am a total novice to towing a trailer. First couple of local drives I was very nervous, but the trailer tows really well.

First trip getting to campsite 2 hours away was more tense, but coming home I felt better and more confident. Trailer pulled great on expressway, but I drove 5 to 10 under the speed limit and gave myself plenty of space. Even though a good part of the drive was in the construction zone, the trailer did well.

I will say, I like towing the 19 with tanks empty. Get water at site if available, and dumping grey/sewer before leaving site. I carry my drinking water in bottles and coleman jugs. And I put these over the axle in the 19. The fresh water tank for 19 is a litlle behind the axle. Escape manual recommends towing with water tank empty or totally full, so water doesn't shift while driving.

Manual is definitely worth a read before heading out!

I am still learning on backing up, but I find if I give myself time and not try to crank it into place all at once, I am ok.

You will do just fine. Take your time.

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Put on your Nike's and "just do it"!
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56reader View Post
The fresh water tank for 19 is a litlle behind the axle. Escape manual recommends towing with water tank empty or totally full, so water doesn't shift while driving.
I just find that advice totally impractical, it doesn't relate to real life at all. There might be some cases where I might drain off some water if I was heading for a high pass because my truck isn't exactly over powered but to drain the water to empty because I didn't want the water to shift, never.

Ron
Old 08-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I always assumed the fresh water tank, at the least, was baffled, and that there wouldn't be a problem with sloshing around. Tanks in sailboats are, I know that.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Does anyone know if the tanks have baffles? I also assumed that the fresh water tank had them but ? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #37

The tank is translucent and I don't see a baffle. But the tank is mounted athwartships so the front to rear dimension is the smallest one and not a direction in which a baffle would normally be installed.

Ron
Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The tank is translucent and I don't see a baffle. But the tank is mounted athwartships. Ron
I knew instinctively what that meant because of the context but still looked it up. Thanks for a new word and a smile...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Anyone who drives a 47' truck should have no issue driving a tug towing an Escape (a combination which is both shorter and narrower)... forward. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Backing up is very different - I find my motorhome much easier than any tug with any trailer. Still - backing up should be no problem to learn, especially for someone who already manages a vehicle in which rear vision is only through mirrors. Lessons couldn't hurt.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #40

Quote:
I knew instinctively what that meant because of the context but still looked it up. Thanks for a new word and a smile...
Well, to practice using your new word, you can mention to folks that in your trailer you sleep athwartship.

Ron