Touring the 19' and 5.0TA today - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2015, 01:25 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Touring the 19' and 5.0TA today

Okay, I didn't quite go "WOW" and "Holy Cow" when first stepping in the two trailers today. Got that taken care of after viewing the 21 footer on Friday (see separate thread for that tour). But, we both thoroughly enjoyed our tours and we both learned from them. Some of which are:

Got to see the graphics in a different color than the dark/medium grey on the other two. Yeah, I know, a small thing, but it was nice to see. Now I'm thinking I could get the graphics company to put paw prints on instead of the stock stripes. Yeah, it'll cost more. Yeah, it might not work for resale later on, but we're gonna keep the trailer for years and it's ours to do what we want with!

Got to see the difference between the stock 2-burner stove in the regular position and turned. Yep, going with the turned position. I'd much rather have more space between the stove and sink than behind the stove. Need counter room for my waffle iron which does much of my cooking. Linda had added a cutting board on top of their flipped stove top and I really liked that idea, instead of the stock stove cover. Great to see the differences with the stove. And between white and stainless. Um, yeah, not going with white.

I was able to flop around on both beds. (See previous post for details on how I flop on beds. Neither owner was surprised, so I suspect they read that post. HA!) I was able to scoot around on the bed in the 5.0 far better than I thought I'd be able to (can't put much weight on my right knee). And I could sit up in bed with ease, which also surprised me. There was a little cubbie next to the bed, but I figured a small table added in (and wedged in so it doesn't move) would work better for me.

And, here's another Holy Cow - this is Cooler Than Cool Moment. And something else that should be mentioned on their web site as a selling point. You can store stuff under the first two steps of the 5.0 (steps to the bed). WOWSERS!!! They had added a mesh/plastic (not sure what it was made of) shoe holder along the front side of the 2nd step (in the storage area) which was a great location to stash your shoes. (Wonder if my size 11s would fit in there; Linda's feet were much smaller than mine.)

They also had some sort of metal clamp device thingie between the tires on the trailer that would really keep it in place; much better than those plastic thingies you drive up on (and I'd never get right and would have to dash in and out of the truck all the time to line up, as I'd be using it much of the time by myself). Another Cooler Than Cool Moment! (Remember, we're new to this entire RV world, so if you're already aware of this and roll your eyes - oh well! I'll survive your eye rolling and will probably top it at some point.)

We both liked the recessed holders for the dinette pedestal poles that the 19 footer had. One less thing to bang my size 11s on.

Got to see the removable power cord. I did wonder later what would keep someone from swiping it when you're not around to defend your territory and property. Yeah, I wonder about stuff like that. And would carry a spare, just in case.

Got a lesson in the difference between the stock 5th wheel hitch/clamp/whatever-it's-called inside the truck bed and a Patriot hitch that was added by the owners later on after they got tired of hearing the hitch thump around over bumps and around corners (and almost sold the rig due to all that noise). I made a note of the name of that hitch.

It was really nice seeing all 3 trailers fairly close to each other (in time; not so much in distance). I took tons of photos and made lots of notes from those photos this evening (yep, to aforementioned spreadsheet). We greatly appreciate the owners taking time to show us their trailers. It was easy to tell how much their like/love their trailers and the company that makes them. I can see why ETI uses customers to sell their product. Much nicer to talk to owners than a salesman that may not really like the product anyway, but is good at faking it.

And the best part of today was finding this out. I had already decided to not attend the rally later this month. I figured between what we saw this weekend and will eventually see at the factory (plus photos and tips on this forum), I didn't need to see all those trailers in person. However, I'm really glad I won't have to worry about walking around and keeping an eye out for *** rattlesnakes *** !!!!! When Pete and Linda told us that today, we both bugged out our eyes. I was speechless in horror for longer than Dirk and he was able to spit out "no way we're going" before I could. I was motionless in horror!!!! NO FRICKING WAY!!! They said it's worse when it's hotter out and one year they found a freshly shed skin under their trailer. OMG!!

Okay, maybe this was covered in the separate thread for the rally, which I've not read after deciding not to go. So, for everyone that's going - I hope it's too cold for them to come out. Carry flashlights to look for them at night and be careful where you walk. Carry a really big, as in really big, stick with you. OMG!!!

Other than that, we had a great time today. Thanks Rich and Mary (19') and Linda and Pete (5.0TA).

Laura and Dirk
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
They also had some sort of metal clamp device thingie between the tires on the trailer that would really keep it in place; much better than those plastic thingies you drive up on (and I'd never get right and would have to dash in and out of the truck all the time to line up, as I'd be using it much of the time by myself).
That's probably a BAL X-Chock... which isn't really a chock, but a kind of parking brake that works by jamming the two tires against each other. It only handles keeping the trailer from rolling away - you still need ramps or blocks or something on the low side to level the trailer side-to-side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Got to see the removable power cord. I did wonder later what would keep someone from swiping it when you're not around to defend your territory and property. Yeah, I wonder about stuff like that. And would carry a spare, just in case.
Nothing physically keeps anyone from stealing a detachable power cord, and yet they are rarely if ever stolen. I've never heard of anyone carrying a spare, because it's an expensive, heavy, and bulky item which can be purchased in essentially any city large enough to have RV dealers.

I don't think anyone would steal one of these cords unless they were sure the RV was unoccupied, as the occupants would probably notice the power suddently going off. Even from an unattended RV, it would be pretty obvious to neighboring campers if a stranger walked into a site, then walked away again carrying a shore power cord. If they're doing that, they might as well be taking the propane tanks as well - I don't think very many people lock up those.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Laura and Dirk,
Snakes and bugs and bears and birds are all part of nature, nothing to be afraid of, something to be aware of. Enjoying nature is one of the reasons for getting an Escape, so embrace it, not fear it.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Laura and Dirk,
Snakes and bugs and bears and birds are all part of nature, nothing to be afraid of, something to be aware of. Enjoying nature is one of the reasons for getting an Escape, so embrace it, not fear it.
You enjoy your part of nature, I'll enjoy my part that does not include snakes. I can't even watch them when they appear on TV, much less in person. The few times I'm at a zoo, I never go in the reptile house.

Yeah, I know they're out there. Yeah, I know they might be at a campground, but I'll definitely steer clear if I'm given warning ahead of time of snakes in the area.

Now bears and birds and all that - yeah, I'll embrace them! (Well, not literally with the bears.)
Old 05-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's probably a BAL X-Chock... which isn't really a chock, but a kind of parking brake that works by jamming the two tires against each other. It only handles keeping the trailer from rolling away - you still need ramps or blocks or something on the low side to level the trailer side-to-side.
Oh, good to know. I wasn't completely aware of that (being new to RVs and all that). Thanks, Brian (and for the link to the product, which is now bookmarked).
Old 05-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
And so....have you decided on what size trailer?

Speaking of size.....11's!!! Yikes! You can stomp on a damn snake with those!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
And so....have you decided on what size trailer?

Speaking of size.....11's!!! Yikes! You can stomp on a damn snake with those!
We're strongly leaning towards the 5.0TA (and we finally figured out what the TA stands for as opposed to the first version, the SA).

More room, more storage, full queen bed and the strongest factor - by all accounts it should be easier for me to hitch up on my own. I'd be using it quite a bit vending at craft shows and I have to be able to hitch it up by myself as Dirk won't be with me.

Yeah, used to be size 10's. I can remember the first time I was told my feet were that size - I was an easily embarrassed teenager and of course the shoe guy was quite cute. Then later in life my arches fell and the shoe size went up one. Darn good thing I never fell in love with "stylish" shoes - they were never in my size back then.

And I'd never kill a snake, unless absolutely necessary. I know they're a necessary part of the environment; I just don't need 'em near me.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Don't buy a particular size/type trailer just because you think it will be easier to hook up by yourself. I've hooked up my 16' Scamp by myself for more than 12 years. Neither a 5er nor bumper pull are difficult, they're just different. In fact, if you have a truck with a built-in camera on the tailgate, a bumper pull may be the easiest of the two build types.

You'll see the queen size bed, but it's not really wall-to-wall, there's about a six inch"gap" that runs most of the side area. Because of that, just like your home bed, you will not sleep close to the edge. However, the 21' is a double, but because it's right next to the walls, you will sleep right to the edge.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Trailer: none
Interesting about the bed...we have a king sized bed at home but don't feel cramped in the 5.0 queen because we CAN use the entire width of the loft area and hang over the edge into that 6 or so inches on each side.... Since there is no danger of falling 'out' we make use of the entire loft width.
Of course, when we had a Scamp 19 with the side to side bed, being able to roll up against the wall in the bed area made maximum use of that space.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Site Team

I thought the 5.0 classic queen bed was literally wall to wall?
Name:  50-bed.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  10.2 KB
I know the 5.0TA is wider and the queen bed fits between the nose cubbies which leaves space on either side of the mattress. What am I missing? But then, what do I know.. I sleep on a twin air-bed in Ten Forward... lots of room around the bed.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #11

Nope, there is a space of about 6 to 8" on either side of the bed....never measured it.
Sold both 7/22
Old 05-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... We always traveled with a bag chair stored on either side of the bed in our 5.0. The 5.0TA has even more room along the edge of the mattress and a bit at each end. The sleep is still the same... better than at home!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1000294.jpg   P1030926.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:04 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Nope, there is a space of about 6 to 8" on either side of the bed....never measured it.
Hummm, that makes the picture out of the 5.0 brochure deceiving, doesn't it? One more reason to view a trailer if possible before purchasing.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #14

Here is a photo from our Classic..hard to see the space alongside but it is there...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8103.jpg  
Sold both 7/22
Old 05-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #15

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Interesting about the bed...we have a king sized bed at home but don't feel cramped in the 5.0 queen because we CAN use the entire width of the loft area and hang over the edge into that 6 or so inches on each side.... Since there is no danger of falling 'out' we make use of the entire loft width.
Of course, when we had a Scamp 19 with the side to side bed, being able to roll up against the wall in the bed area made maximum use of that space.
That 5.0 bed area is what we like also, gives lots of room to shift around and flail.
ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
That 5.0 bed area is what we like also, gives lots of room to shift around and flail.
ken
I did discover, when testing one out, that you need to put some sort of thick pillow/cushion behind you if you sit up to read in bed. I like to do that for a short bit before going to sleep (but not for hours on end, which I would do in a u-shaped dinette). Otherwise you have to learn forward a bit or not sit up as high due to the curvature of the trailer up there.

Good thing there's room on both sides of the bed to stash something like that.