Tow vehicle decision - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Tow vehicle decision

We've been researching tow vehicles for our 21, due to hatch this November. We picked one, and we're planning on spending Friday haggling with the dealer on a (new, 2014) Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab, Pro 4X trim.

I drove one the other day, and it was okay. Definitely not a Miata, but comfortable, and I was able to keep it between the white lines and everything. It's just the two of us and a pair of smallish terriers -- the 2nd row of seats is for the terriers, of course.

We don't want a full-size truck, and we think the Frontier has the oomph and stability we need to tow comfortably. We don't know that we'll need it but we're planning to use an Anderson hitch, again to maximize towing comfort; we've not pulled anything heavier than a Hobie Cat in the past.

If anyone thinks this is a poor choice, please weigh in! We only buy cars every 10-15 years so we want to get it right. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Make sure the new tow is 'broken in' before you tow.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #3

Right! That's one reason we're getting the TV now -- so we can get a few thousand miles on it before the big hatch date. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Did the Chevy mid size twins catch your eye? They should be on lots by fall.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

Yes, I've been learning all I can about the new Colorado/Canyon. But it will be a 'new' model (sort of) and I'm thinking we might be better off with a proven (if tired) design. I would really be tempted by the promised diesel, but they say it won't be launched until next year sometime--too late for us.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape
Considering the weight and frontal surface area of the Escape 21,I think you be better served with a full sized truck equipped with a factory tow package. Especially if you are buying new and not trying to use a vehicle that you already have.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I'd go full sized V8 with a 21' Escape. Get the tow package too. We always seem to come home with a heavier load that what we left with and it's a secure feeling knowing the tow can handle it. Don't forget to have the electric break installed prior to pick up date. ETI does not install them.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: drpaddle,,, Everyone here knows our 2010 Frontier by now. We have near 60,000 mi. on the clock, with nothing but praise for the 6,000+ lbs. of tow cap. The Fronty handled the 5.0 for 3 yrs. and now the 5,0TA with ease.
Once you get used to the QEII turning radius it's smooth sailing!!!
The electric brake controller required an additional wire harness in the pass. side kick panel to connect it into the pre wired trailer tow wire harness. This is not necessary if you get the trailer tow pkg. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0
We, as many on this forum, are towing our Classic 5.0 with a Frontier crewcab. Living in BC with lots of mountains ranges to cross we find the Fronty has lots of power to tow and comes well equipped for the task and when you are where you want to be you can get reasonable fuel economy for sight seeing.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #10

So great to get all these perspectives. Thanks a ton to you all. Now I'll just get out my Decision Dartboard and see what happens. :-)
Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Alf,
Do you notice any difference in the towing with a unit with springs versus the torsion set up? I just found out the new TA has a spring axle set up? Any noticeable difference? or does the tandem vs the single overcome the difference?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Thanks for the tip on the Colorado/Canyon. If the production model looks anything like the one on their site, I'm VERY interested. It will fit in our garage, get 26 MPG (estimated) and tow 7000 lbs!

We're gonna tow our 17B at first as planned -- with our Lincoln MKX. But the Colorado/Canyon may be on our list for the next year.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Alf,
Do you notice any difference in the towing with a unit with springs versus the torsion set up? I just found out the new TA has a spring axle set up? Any noticeable difference? or does the tandem vs the single overcome the difference?
Hi: cpaharley2008...Biggest diff. is watching the trailer ride in the mirror. Much smother, less bouncy and it seams to push back easier into campsites, driveways etc. The dual axle set up seems better suited to the large turning radius of the Frontier. Alf
Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
We've been researching tow vehicles for our 21, due to hatch this November. We picked one, and we're planning on spending Friday haggling with the dealer on a (new, 2014) Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab, Pro 4X trim.

I drove one the other day, and it was okay. Definitely not a Miata, but comfortable, and I was able to keep it between the white lines and everything. It's just the two of us and a pair of smallish terriers -- the 2nd row of seats is for the terriers, of course.

We don't want a full-size truck, and we think the Frontier has the oomph and stability we need to tow comfortably. We don't know that we'll need it but we're planning to use an Anderson hitch, again to maximize towing comfort; we've not pulled anything heavier than a Hobie Cat in the past.

If anyone thinks this is a poor choice, please weigh in! We only buy cars every 10-15 years so we want to get it right. Thanks!
I had a 2011 Nissan Frontier PRO4X crew cab. While I think the truck is adequate, I preferred to have a truck with more than enough capacity. Also, my 2014 RAM gets 24-22 freeway gas mileage, way better than the Frontier. And, if I am not mistaken, the PRO4X does not come equipped with a tow package, so you'll have to add after market as did I.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #15

The PRO4X does have a tow package available. Good gas mileage? Not available.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
The PRO4X does have a tow package available. Good gas mileage? Not available.
Hi: drpaddle...The Frontier we have has always done well in the mpg's dept. I think it's more the style of driving that wins the mpg race. Last figures from our tow home from Bolerama was 15.7 I think.
Sitting in Ottawa now and towing home expressway on Fri. Will report later!!! Alf
Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 17B
After towing our 17B with my V6 4runner for the past couple of months in the Northwest it seems like the frontier is under powered for towing a 21. I am sure towing in the flat lands and close to sea level will not be a problem, your issue will be in the mountains of the Northwest. Our last tow sent us over a 7200ft pass with an average grade of 8% and lots of switchbacks and we basically crawled up the grades above 8% in 1st gear!
smilycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We just drove the coquhalla which is 6% and 8 % grades and with our V8 Yukon was in second gear and would not have wanted less power that's for sure . Tried third gear and would take it but seemed to be lugging too much for my liking . Was very comfortable In second gear around 3000 rpm taking our time
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Weird. I drive Coquihalla towing my 17B with a RAV4 V6 Sport. I'm in fourth gear ( manual says not to tow in 3 or 2 for any prolonged hard tow ) and I get to the top doing 85 to 90 KPH ( 53 TO 56 MPH ). It drops down to third for a bit to pick up speed and then goes back to four. I'm not shifting manually.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have driven the Coquihalla a couple times now pulling my 19 with my Pilot, which has a 4,500 lb tow rating. Only going north to Kamloops is there one grade I slowed below the speed limit. I coulda gone the speed limit dropped 2 gears, but I would have been redlining it all the way on a long gradient.

Other than that gradient on the Coquihalla, I have only met one other one in Utah that caused me to slow below the speed limit.

That said, I believe that the Pilot is more than enough of a tow vehicle for the 19, I regularly pass other people, as I am always doing the speed limit or a bit more, but never go much over 120 kph.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

« Funny Signs | Door »