Tpms - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 21C on order
Tpms

Just picked up our Escape 21 this past Monday. Spent the last two days at a KOA moving into it. Getting ready for a trip back to Texas, kind of in a roundabout way. I have a question about TPMS.

When building the trailer I had asked Escape if they would change out the valve stems to a metal valve stem for my TPMS. The way they are setup they were not able to do that Has anyone used a TPMS with the rubber valve stems? We will be putting on about 3,500 miles on our way home and was not sure of risking the sensors on rubber valve stems or not putting the sensors on. We use the TST 507 system. Thoughts anyone?
harleyrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I put several thousand miles (well over 25K) on my trailer using the rubber stems with no failure. While metal stems are obviously better for a TPMS setup, I think the history of failures may have been due to a bad batch of rubber stems. But like you, it was always in the back of my mind. Since my trailer (and it’s tires) were 5 years old, I purchased new tires in February and had brass stems installed. I believe you will be OK on your return trip. FYI, I have the Tire Minder purchased from Camping World.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I had a few thousand miles (maybe 10-12k?) on my rubber stems with TPMS sensors when I noticed marks on my rims from the sensors. Looking more closely, I noticed nasty tears in two stems. We quickly stopped at a Big O tire in Montrose CO and replaced four rubber stems with metal. Only took about an hour and I was astounded that they only charged me $20, not each, but total! Stopped there again on our way home and left a $20 tip for the installer.

You may just try stopping at a tire store on your way home and get them installed. Cheap insurance.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
I have the 507 also. My impression is that it usually would take quite a few miles (like 10k or more) to maybe crack the stems, if they're reasonably new to begin with (they do age from UV rays and time like any rubber component and can become more brittle).
Old 09-03-2020, 12:25 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
6 years on my TST507 with rubber stems. no problem. Trailer is stored indoors, however. No sun on them inside.'

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I put 9000 miles on my 21 with rubber stems after adding a Tire Minder TPMS. While I didn't have a failure, I did notice black marks on the wheel rim made by the sensor. Hard to believe that they bend that much, but the marks lined up with sensor when bent by hand.

I switched to metal stems when I changed the tires to Goodyear Endurance at 28,000 miles.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrk View Post
Just picked up our Escape 21 this past Monday. Spent the last two days at a KOA moving into it. Getting ready for a trip back to Texas, kind of in a roundabout way. I have a question about TPMS.

When building the trailer I had asked Escape if they would change out the valve stems to a metal valve stem for my TPMS. The way they are setup they were not able to do that Has anyone used a TPMS with the rubber valve stems? We will be putting on about 3,500 miles on our way home and was not sure of risking the sensors on rubber valve stems or not putting the sensors on. We use the TST 507 system. Thoughts anyone?
I would not do it. I had 5 failures on my truck in about 18 mos before a tech at Discount Tire told me what my problem was (stems). The failure was on my truck when I was at Discount and I immediately removed them from my new Escape.

Exact same situation as you. Picked up trailer and stayed ay KOA for 2 days before coming home to TX. I already had them on my truck and Bought the additional TPMS for the trailer at Campingworld a bit south of there. Can't remember the town