Trailer cover - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All...For what It's worth my take on covers for trailers is this. If the trailer was built to be used outside then it shouldn't need a cover...outside!!! The possibility of abrasions from wind scuffing might make you wish you hadn't used one at all!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #82

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Best fitting cover I've found is a good coat of a quality wax.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #83

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We're going to need one unless we pay to store it somewhere else. The trees in our driveway dump sap on the cars every year and it's really hard to get off. I kind of hate to store it elsewhere because that definitely will kill spontaneity.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #84

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post
Minnie,

I found I wasn't using our trailer cover as much as I likely should due to the amount of time/effort it took to put it on/take it off. I mocked up a couple of wooden arms (think upside down U) that pivot from near the trailer wheels that lift the cover up and over the roof and then drop it down on the trailer. It worked! Apart from a few minor adjustments I may not make a metal version. You would obviously have to scale it up for your trailer but it's something to consider.

Dave
Great idea! Do you have any pictures or drawings that you can post?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #85

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All...For what It's worth my take on covers for trailers is this. If the trailer was built to be used outside then it shouldn't need a cover...outside!!! The possibility of abrasions from wind scuffing might make you wish you hadn't used one at all!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Thanks - that's what we're coming to think, too. Glenn says he knows too many guys who have covered their motorcycles only to find them scuffed and scratched after a period of time.

Ruthe - Yikes! I really understand that. We live on a corner lot - one street has Elm trees that drip that sap all year long - we NEVER park there! Fortunately the other street, and also the place we park the trailer, are completely empty of overhead trees.

Think we're going to follow Baglo's suggestion of a good wax.
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #86

Sandra,

I was busy cleaning up a downed tree today but will try to post a picture soon. It is pretty ugly but it works.

Glenrose and others,

I agree wax is definitely easier. It's the long term damage that I worry about, the flat chalky/yellowed appearance of the fiberglass you see on old trailers. You can always rejuvenate the finish to a degree but its a lot of work and the finish is never as good as a trailer that has been protected. The other issues depending on climate are the slime/dirt/stains that accumulate on your trailer and at some time invariably there will be a leak through the window gasket or caulking with resulting issues. If you use the snaps/straps properly, use bungee cords/weighs if you need you shouldn't get any scuffing or scratching. Do both, wax and cover.

Dave
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #87

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
My questions is on covers: I have an Escape 17 and wonder if anyone has purchased the Poly Pro III cover designed for R-Pods to fit up to 15 feet, 1 inch? It seems by dimensions that it would fit.
dcarlsonpastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #88

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
UV will dry and crack window gaskets as well as chalk up the sides and crystallize any plastic vents of an uncovered rig. Sure, the trailer is meant to be kept outside but tree pitch, bird crap, pollen, acid rain and hail is kept off the surface with a cover. I don't think the cover is any more abrasive than a jacket is. To each their own.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #89

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Thanks, J Mac and Dave! The challenge with pushing the cover up on the 5.0 from the front is it just slides right back off! Although, I guess we could start from the back.... I like the idea of "wooden arms"! Something to keep Leslie busy over the winter :-) He'd actually thought of wooden poles with clamps on the end to lift the cover up and over, so we'll try something along those lines next year. Once the cover is actually on top of the trailer it's easy to move along and down the sides, it's getting the bloody thing on top in the first place!
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #90
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't know how many of you are members of the CasitaForum. But Rob (wood man extraordinaire) has a pictorial of he and his wife putting on a cover over their Casita, using poles he built. It takes them four minutes from beginning to final buckledown.

Find the post here: Pictorial "How To" for Installing CalMark Casita Cover Would probably work about the same for other cover brands

ON EDIT: I can't share the post or pictures, but I can share the YouTube Video!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #91

Thanks,Donna!
Christine
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #92

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
For what it's worth, I just covered our 19 for the first time with the Calmark cover we purchased. I did it by myself using an 8' step ladder leaning against the center of the trailer. Just unfolded it on the roof and pulled each corner down, one at a time. Much easier than I expected; in all, it took about 20 minutes.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #93

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
For what it's worth, I just covered our 19 for the first time with the Calmark cover we purchased. I did it by myself using an 8' step ladder leaning against the center of the trailer. Just unfolded it on the roof and pulled each corner down, one at a time. Much easier than I expected; in all, it took about 20 minutes.
Does Calmark have the dimensions for the Escape 19 already or did you have to send them to them?

Thanks,
John
Old 10-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Brilliant! Thanks.That might just work on the 5.0.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #95

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I had to make my own measurements. Friendly advice: be VERY accurate.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #96

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Do not like anything touching the shiny skin of my trailer when it is stored. My first canopy, in the great northwest of NJ at the time, suffered badly from a very heavy winter of snow and ice. Canopy collapsed on top of Scamp. Come Spring, when that big block of ice melted enough to push off the sagged fabric, had to throw everything out -- the crunched canopy, not the Scamp. Scamp only had a cracked vent.

Hope second canopy works better this time around, here in NM at 6,600 ft. Costco sells these. They say it gets very windy and snowy here. Canopy sat too low for the 19; needed to raise all ten posts up 10-12 inches, using 2 x 8 x 12's as support wood and for anchoring it all to concrete bases. Used braided cable and turnbuckles to counter high wind racking.
Attached Thumbnails
canopy1.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #97

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
looks sturdy enough....what made you to relocate to NM from NJ?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #98

Grew up in the next town west of Newark, once a truly great place but in the 60's slid downhill real fast. Held on until could not get decent tenants in our old, 3-fam. aircraft carrier of a house. Made a major leap to the far northwest corner of the state, dairy country.

Loved our 1 acre-plus there, 9 apple trees, no sidewalks, no streetlights, deer herds roaming free through the property like squirrels, etc., but after 20+ years and facing the reduced income of retirement we could not justify the high property taxes and other costs of living creeping stealthily upward.

True, there we had black dirt and now here in NM the dirt in the yard is a second cousin to Portland cement, but we went from paying taxes of $7,600 a year there to $1,000 here for the same acerage, and a new house. The other big thing was my need for another sea change. We had made several previous visits to NM since my wife had people here, and I liked the idea of something completely different. Well, I sure got that.

You had to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
TwoHomes1.jpg  
Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #99

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, but I bet your scenery and the stars at night must be breath taking. I'm wallowing here on the east coast, similarly to your NJ farm, retired with high taxes and crime. Until my golden handcuffs are removed (I'm my mother's caregiver) I'll stay.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #100

Roger that, Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
startrails2a.jpg