Trailer Delivery to a Mid-way Point - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Where did you have your trailer delivered?
Picked it up at the factory 6 60.00%
Had it delivered the full distance 3 30.00%
Had it delivered to a mid point 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Trailer Delivery to a Mid-way Point

We are in the process of buying a new 19 Foot Escape and are very much looking forward to the kind of adventures that many of you have been having. Unfortunately, we live very far from the factory and don't have the ability to pick it up in person there. But we're eager to start using it as soon as possible.

Question for you:
Has anyone had experience with delivery of an Escape trailer to a mid-way point between the factory and your home?

If so,
  • Did you have a good experience? Why or why not?
  • If you could do it over, would you do it again the same way? If not, what would you do differently?
  • How far in advance were you able to pin down the delivery date?
  • Did you meet the delivery truck, or have it dropped at an intermediate facility (e.g. a storage facility or RV dealer)?
  • Any other advice?
One constraint we have is that we need at least six weeks' advance notice to take a trip to a mid point.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
When you place your order discuss delivery options with ETI. Depending on your location they may already have a delivery scheduled near you or a mid point heading your way. You will have plenty of time to schedule your time off as production is at least 8 months out (if you are already have a production date this year check with ETI now). If there is more than one trailer on the delivery route all owners share the cost. As for my experience my trailer was complete in January 2012 and I was going to drive to BC to get it but a major snowstorm hit the PNW preventing me from going. There was a scheduled delivery 1 month later to southern CA so my trailer was put on that delivery. We did meet the driver and in fact he brought the truck into a neighborhood for the drop. It all went well but I would still have preferred to go to the factory.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Oh and remember that the driver is just that-he will not do an orientation of the trailer for you.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
If so,
Did you have a good experience? Why or why not?
If you could do it over, would you do it again the same way? If not, what would you do differently?
How far in advance were you able to pin down the delivery date?
Did you meet the delivery truck, or have it dropped at an intermediate facility (e.g. a storage facility or RV dealer)?
Any other advice?
It has been five years now, but three of us had our Escape trailers delivered to a central location, in our case, Saulte Ste Marie, Ont. We were all still working and it was not feasible to be gone for the length of time necessary to pick up at the factory. In estimating cost, it was less expensive to have it shipped, especially since it was shared.

Escape arranged for the shipping after we found a local carrier, a carrier they used for the first time with our shipment and who they are using to this day. We knew the day it was loaded onto the tractor/trailer and the carrier kept us informed as to the drivers progress across Canada. It took seven days and he was delayed one day due to weather, snow in May. The departure day was determined by someone other that us, but it was within a week each side of our preference. Our trailer sat on the lot at Escape for two months awaiting the completion dates of the remainder of the load.

I would think they would not and I would not recommend that the trailer be delivered to anyone but you, or some one who knows Escape trailers and can act as your agent. Now it could be anywhere but someone should be present to inspect and accept delivery. Remember it is not actually yours until signed for. We had some damage to the load. Minor things like a propane cover missing and a jack bent.

The trucking company who delivers your trailer likes to go to Elkhart Indiana after dropping off your load. This is where they will likely get a back haul. I would plan a delivery location in some proximity to there, if possible.

As someone who also picked up a trailer at the factory, I can say that is the best experience. However, to do it right and make it worth while it will cost twice what shipping is and really needs three weeks of time.

We selected a KOA campground as the delivery location. If doing it today I would have selected a USA location because the roads are better for the driver. Unfortunately, there were some expensive broker fees at that time to the tune of $1,500 so Ontario made more sense.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote