Trailer Size Limitations? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
75thRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sarita, Texas
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 303
Trailer Size Limitations?

Is there a practical limit on the size of fiberglass trailers? I was just on a huge fiberglass boat last week and it got me to thinking about it. (too much time on my hands)

I don't remember ever seeing a large fiberglass trailer. Maybe too costly. Boat owners of a certain size typically aren't real concerned about cost.
__________________

__________________
I will usually do the right thing after I exhaust all other options.
75thRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Is there a practical limit on the size of fiberglass trailers? I was just on a huge fiberglass boat last week and it got me to thinking about it. (too much time on my hands)

I don't remember ever seeing a large fiberglass trailer. Maybe too costly. Boat owners of a certain size typically aren't real concerned about cost.
Hi: 75thRanger... I don't think its a size restriction. It's a price restriction. Fiberglass is great for smaller towables but the price gets really high once you get into the diesel dually tug range. Even though they last longer than a "Stickie" its a hard sell. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________

__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
75thRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sarita, Texas
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 303
I suspected as much.
__________________
I will usually do the right thing after I exhaust all other options.
75thRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
Member
 
sherminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Trailer: 2012 Jumping Jack tent trailer
Posts: 39
Start up costs for molded fiberglass trailers are high. The molds take a lot of time and expertise to make. For a stick built trailer, all you need are a shop with a 10' x 12' door, an arc welder, a table saw, and the skills to use them. Many people build stick built trailers in their own shop. I haven't seen any home-built molded fiberglass trailers in all my web browsing history, although somebody will probably point us to one.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 12,479
It depends on what you consider to be "large". There is no physical size limitation, and a few have been produced over 30 feet long, but they're rare. Multiple factors discourage large moulded fiberglass travel trailers, including setup cost (the mould as already explained), and the fact that in larger sizes most buyers want slide-outs which are a poor match with moulded body construction. When a previous incarnation of Bigfoot made larger trailers than their current largest (25 foot overall), they were not moulded. The practical compromise, which is very common, is moulded end caps and sandwich panels sides, with various forms of roof construction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,791
I've met the owners of Miss Trilly, a Trillium, & as well, a home built trimaran called Rikki-tikki-tavi. They spend 6 months of the year in each. Here is the blog of Miss Trilly

While not a true molded fiberglass boat, although portions are molded, the amazing build story of Rikki-tikki-tavi shows what can be done in a barn!
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 3,180
I just read the travels with Miss Tilly blog. Wonderful stuff. 6 months a year? Amazing to me they have been doing so much trailering in that tiny Trillium. By comparison, my 19 now really feels to me like luxury trailering.

Been to a few of the places they have stayed at but now I have a great need to go back to them and do a better job of soaking up the wonderful environment of each location. So ready to go back, linger and explore the great Pacific Coast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PacificBeach.jpg (76.9 KB, 12 views)
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I just read the travels with Miss Tilly blog. Wonderful stuff. 6 months a year? Amazing to me they have been doing so much trailering in that tiny Trillium. By comparison, my 19 now really feels to me like luxury trailering.

Been to a few of the places they have stayed at but now I have a great need to go back to them and do a better job of soaking up the wonderful environment of each location. So ready to go back, linger and explore the great Pacific Coast.
Hi: MyronL... Just think... at the moment you're busy doing your "So called" distancing!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Dover, Vermont
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Is there a practical limit on the size of fiberglass trailers? I was just on a huge fiberglass boat last week and it got me to thinking about it. (too much time on my hands)

I don't remember ever seeing a large fiberglass trailer. Maybe too costly. Boat owners of a certain size typically aren't real concerned about cost.
I would think that you might run into weight problems. Over a certain length with the fiberglass thickness Escape uses might need quite a bit of gussets and bulkheads to keep it rigid. Every time you add stuff like this it adds weight. Also you would need a beefy frame to avoid flexing too or the fiberglass would start to craze and crack. I am not an engineer so feel free to critique my musing. BTW my 28 ft sailboat cost less than my 5.0 TA! And the boat had an engine!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
75thRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sarita, Texas
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I would think that you might run into weight problems. Over a certain length with the fiberglass thickness Escape uses might need quite a bit of gussets and bulkheads to keep it rigid. Every time you add stuff like this it adds weight. Also you would need a beefy frame to avoid flexing too or the fiberglass would start to craze and crack. I am not an engineer so feel free to critique my musing. BTW my 28 ft sailboat cost less than my 5.0 TA! And the boat had an engine!
Had a friend some years back up close to Houston. He invited me for a "leisurely" cruise on his new Morgan Out Islander 32 sail boat.

He didn't want a companion, he needed a slave! I was totally worn out from cranking, pulling, shoving, cussing and have never been on a "leisurely" cruise again.
__________________
I will usually do the right thing after I exhaust all other options.
75thRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Trailer: Escape-21 'on order'
Posts: 324
Talking yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Had a friend some years back up close to Houston. He invited me for a "leisurely" cruise on his new Morgan Out Islander 32 sail boat.

He didn't want a companion, he needed a slave! I was totally worn out from cranking, pulling, shoving, cussing and have never been on a "leisurely" cruise again.
LOL That is exactly what I found out after buying a 26' fiberglass sailboat back in 1981..too darn much WORK . Pulling, lugging, easing, winching, tightening, etc etc. "searching for the wind" etc etc..ugghh. Never again.
__________________

Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×