Trailer Size Limitations? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Trailer Size Limitations?

Is there a practical limit on the size of fiberglass trailers? I was just on a huge fiberglass boat last week and it got me to thinking about it. (too much time on my hands)

I don't remember ever seeing a large fiberglass trailer. Maybe too costly. Boat owners of a certain size typically aren't real concerned about cost.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Is there a practical limit on the size of fiberglass trailers? I was just on a huge fiberglass boat last week and it got me to thinking about it. (too much time on my hands)

I don't remember ever seeing a large fiberglass trailer. Maybe too costly. Boat owners of a certain size typically aren't real concerned about cost.
Hi: 75thRanger... I don't think its a size restriction. It's a price restriction. Fiberglass is great for smaller towables but the price gets really high once you get into the diesel dually tug range. Even though they last longer than a "Stickie" its a hard sell. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #3

I suspected as much.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Start up costs for molded fiberglass trailers are high. The molds take a lot of time and expertise to make. For a stick built trailer, all you need are a shop with a 10' x 12' door, an arc welder, a table saw, and the skills to use them. Many people build stick built trailers in their own shop. I haven't seen any home-built molded fiberglass trailers in all my web browsing history, although somebody will probably point us to one.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It depends on what you consider to be "large". There is no physical size limitation, and a few have been produced over 30 feet long, but they're rare. Multiple factors discourage large moulded fiberglass travel trailers, including setup cost (the mould as already explained), and the fact that in larger sizes most buyers want slide-outs which are a poor match with moulded body construction. When a previous incarnation of Bigfoot made larger trailers than their current largest (25 foot overall), they were not moulded. The practical compromise, which is very common, is moulded end caps and sandwich panels sides, with various forms of roof construction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've met the owners of Miss Trilly, a Trillium, & as well, a home built trimaran called Rikki-tikki-tavi. They spend 6 months of the year in each. Here is the blog of Miss Trilly

While not a true molded fiberglass boat, although portions are molded, the amazing build story of Rikki-tikki-tavi shows what can be done in a barn!
Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I just read the travels with Miss Tilly blog. Wonderful stuff. 6 months a year? Amazing to me they have been doing so much trailering in that tiny Trillium. By comparison, my 19 now really feels to me like luxury trailering.

Been to a few of the places they have stayed at but now I have a great need to go back to them and do a better job of soaking up the wonderful environment of each location. So ready to go back, linger and explore the great Pacific Coast.
Attached Thumbnails
PacificBeach.jpg  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I just read the travels with Miss Tilly blog. Wonderful stuff. 6 months a year? Amazing to me they have been doing so much trailering in that tiny Trillium. By comparison, my 19 now really feels to me like luxury trailering.

Been to a few of the places they have stayed at but now I have a great need to go back to them and do a better job of soaking up the wonderful environment of each location. So ready to go back, linger and explore the great Pacific Coast.
Hi: MyronL... Just think... at the moment you're busy doing your "So called" distancing!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:

I would think that you might run into weight problems. Over a certain length with the fiberglass thickness Escape uses might need quite a bit of gussets and bulkheads to keep it rigid. Every time you add stuff like this it adds weight. Also you would need a beefy frame to avoid flexing too or the fiberglass would start to craze and crack. I am not an engineer so feel free to critique my musing. BTW my 28 ft sailboat cost less than my 5.0 TA! And the boat had an engine!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I would think that you might run into weight problems. Over a certain length with the fiberglass thickness Escape uses might need quite a bit of gussets and bulkheads to keep it rigid. Every time you add stuff like this it adds weight. Also you would need a beefy frame to avoid flexing too or the fiberglass would start to craze and crack. I am not an engineer so feel free to critique my musing. BTW my 28 ft sailboat cost less than my 5.0 TA! And the boat had an engine!
Had a friend some years back up close to Houston. He invited me for a "leisurely" cruise on his new Morgan Out Islander 32 sail boat.

He didn't want a companion, he needed a slave! I was totally worn out from cranking, pulling, shoving, cussing and have never been on a "leisurely" cruise again.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Talking yup

Quote:
Had a friend some years back up close to Houston. He invited me for a "leisurely" cruise on his new Morgan Out Islander 32 sail boat.

He didn't want a companion, he needed a slave! I was totally worn out from cranking, pulling, shoving, cussing and have never been on a "leisurely" cruise again.
LOL That is exactly what I found out after buying a 26' fiberglass sailboat back in 1981..too darn much WORK . Pulling, lugging, easing, winching, tightening, etc etc. "searching for the wind" etc etc..ugghh. Never again.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote