Traveling with a dog - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I find traveling / camping with out dog far less restrictive than camping / traveling with our 5 kids when they were growing up . The dog never complains about where we’re going , or what’s for dinner or cell phone coverage or what’s on TV or bedtime , or that he’d rather be home with his friends or he’s bored or ALL his clothes are out of fashion , or having to take a walk . Sure I can’t do or go certain places because of the dog but from his viewpoint I probably put a cramp in his lifestyle
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Hi,
My wife decided she really wants a dog. She has decided on a welsh corgi. Any tips on traveling with a dog? Do you recommend a shipping kennel to keep the dog in while you are away from the trailer? I’m a cat person and our cat just passed away. My wife is really set on a welsh corgi. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Travel extensively with our Golden Retriever. She generally goes with us everywhere. Infrequently left alone in the trailer for a short period of time. No cage. Air conditioning and the max fan are helpful. As long as they are with you they are happy. She really enjoys our trips to Arizona and California.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We love having Jasper along as we have dogs before him. Hundreds of Escape owners have met him.

I can't stress enough that owner's should take the wee bit of time needed to fully train a dog when it is young, then you end up spending time with a pet that is no problem at all. All the basic like heeling, staying, coming when called, not going through doors without permission, etc.

We try to do as much as possible with Jasper, but when we head out to a nice dinner, take in a train tour, check out a museum, and stuff like that, he either stays in the truck if the weather is cool enough or in the trailer if warmer. Never had an issue there. These events without him are not a very common thing as he just loves going places. We have found lots of stores that let him come in, otherwise I get to avoid shopping and sit with him watching stuff.

Pretty much the only negative we have found with travelling with a pet is going for hikes in the US National Parks where for some reason they don't allow dogs. I know a few are not trained well, but the majority are.

Jasper even loves the Mexican beaches.
Most NPS sites allow dogs, but all require a leash. I’ve seen very bad dog behavior (or should I say dog owner) in my 30 years working for the NPS. Obviously sites like Presidential homes and many historical sites can’t accommodate pets. Just check with the local Visitor Center to discover the local policy and watch out for skunks lol.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Yes get your self a puppy, you wont regret a second.
This is Ginger at 8 weeks and now 10 months.
Loves to travel and camp.
Attached Thumbnails
GinGer picksand Vids 158.jpg   IMG_20190628_091001 (2).jpg  
Gingerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdog View Post
Yes get your self a puppy, you wont regret a second.
This is Ginger at 8 weeks and now 10 months.
Loves to travel and camp.
Good looking dog! We both grew up having dogs and have had them all forty five years of our marriage, mostly labs and spaniels, until the end of June when we had to say goodbye to our 12 year old Shitzu who was a housewarming present from sisters!

Certainly we miss having a dog around but with our being often on the road we find it much easier not having one with us. Many issues we've had are already mentioned above. Hot weather can't leave dog in truck and even cold as well. A few years ago when we couldn't travel to family for Christmas we had a lovely dinner at a fancy hotel away from home staying in another hotel but couldn't leave her in room. So we had to have the dog with us. I went out to the car a number of times to check on her in -25C weather with coat on and wrapped in a blanket. The parking was outside but at least protected from the wind.

We have no plans to get another dog as much as we'd love the company they bring, especially if one of us is away without the other. Also I miss the regular exercise walking her although the half block walks with our old very slow Shitzu didn't give me much of that.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nobody wants to think about this, but when you are up in years, that puppy may outlive you.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #27

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Dogs

When our last dog was a weeks old puppy we canceled a motorcycle trip to Glacier Park and took our Casita so he could go with us. From then on he went with us even on the motorcycles or bicycles. Last fall we couldn't stand not having him, a couple of weeks later we had a new puppy. Nancy is out side grooming him now and soon I'll go help her give him a hair cut before we head out Monday for a couple of weeks.
Azjack and Murphy
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6507.jpg  
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #28

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Too bad I don’t have a picture, but ours even come along kayaking. Nicely sitting in the hatch behind me or on my lap.
It’s all about how your puppy and you get along. Once they trust you, you will be amazed what they are all capable off.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #29

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Also.... for not just re camping, but general traveling with my dog:

I take advantage of dog park app on my phone. Sometimes pick-up spur of the moment, but also look ahead when planning long stretches on the road, days I realize my dog wouldn't otherwise have opportunity to run/play/walk off-leash. They certainly aren't everywhere, but are becoming more and more common.

Have also gotten some great recommendations from local dog people, by going to dog parks.

Have wondered about the possibility of using a daycare opportunity, if I wanted....say, a day in a city (involving indoor not-dog-hospitable-circumstances)... but haven't gone there yet. (There are, of course, apps for this as well....but would be hard to trust utter strangers....)
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think it was in South Dakota where some of the rest stops also had enclosed pens for dogs to exercise. We always try to stop at a KOA because most have fenced in dog parks.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Nobody wants to think about this, but when you are up in years, that puppy may outlive you.
If I get a new tow vehicle it's warranty may out live me.....
Old 08-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If I get a new tow vehicle it's warranty may out live me.....

Yup. But your heirs won't drop it off at a dealership and walk away.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Too bad I don’t have a picture, but ours even come along kayaking.
Jasper prefers a canoe. He has been on many an overnight trip, lake or river.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Jasper prefers a canoe. He has been on many an overnight trip, lake or river.

There you go. Thanks Jim!
These pictures simply are proof it’s all possible!
(Looks like we have some in common, Jim )
Old 08-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
Now that looks good Jim
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I lost my dog Peanut on June 4th. Had her 15 years she was good up until the last 10 months. I was a mess emotionally for 6 weeks or so , what helped me get over it was a couple weekends ago I took a motorcycle ride up through the Adirondacks and for the first time in forty years or more I didn’t have to get home to let the dog out. It was very freeing.
Plus Vet charges have become ridiculous over the last few years.
And than there’s what Gbaglo pointed out. Our kids ,Grands, and friends are spread out across the U.S. and Canada and have very busy lives. We live out in the country and have very few local friends. We are both in our 70’s and it’s not a stretch to say if something happened to us it could be 3 or 4 months before anyone found us. So after my wife’s little dog goes, we discussed it and I think we’re done. I loved having all my dogs and I’ll miss my Peanut forever, but we’re done.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Glenn is right. Animal shelters are full of pets who's owners have died and no family member took the pet(s). My Mom got a shelter cat and I told her right off the bat.. anything happens to you I do NOT want the cat. I don't particularly like cats and if I did, I'd have one too. It forced her into thinking... what would happen to the cat? Fortunately my EX stepped up and took the cat and I was off the hook.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I love having Jasper with us way more than him not being there. He brings us comfort and joy, and gets us out exercizing more.

I know some folks have to spend a fair bit of vet money on their dear pets, but Jasper has only been a few times in 11 years and has been way cheaper medically than we have ourselves. His two (I think) vaccination shots to start his life, rabies shots every 3 years in order to be able to cross the border, a titer test a couple times while he was in anyway, plus 3 other small incident occasions, and that is all. We will keep our fingers crossed the next 5 years go well too. He is very healthy and active for his age.

If we wanted a trip where he couldn't come we would just have one of many friends or relatives take him in, there are many that would love too. Heck, even a few neighbours have offered.

When he does die, we might take a short while for a major tour without another dog, but it won't be all that long before we get another one. I just love dogs too much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We travel with our 3 Shihtzu’s . One is the senior guy , Buddy . This will probably be it too , because what will happen to them when we go is a big worry . We used to have big dogs when kids were younger but these guys are so much easier and they get to go all the time . Put all three together and they are no more then 30 lbs . But they are used to their life and we wouldn’t want That to change for them .
Also we don’t care for cats either but would never hurt a animal . Once next to a highway camping for the night , someone dumped a baby kitty and we were going to have to take care of it . Thank goodness a camp host stepped up and took the kitty in .
But for now we will enjoy our little guys and they always get to go camping . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #40

Trailer: TBD
The only real downside I can think of for me is that Corgis shed like crazy. Most of the time I would like to spend time with my dog than do something without. But, after having five Corgis I have outlived all but one and my ex-wife has Max.

That's Rosie on the back of my Valkyrie. She passed away at 14 about18 months ago. Ira, in the wheels, lived to 14 also.
Attached Thumbnails
KLHME7173.jpg  
Attached Images