Traveling with a dog - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
My dogs both came from responsible breeders who will take the dog back, no questions asked, if I pass away. In fact, Sadie's breeder is named in my will to arrange for the dogs. Mom got her Cardi, Dondie, at age 83, she is now 90, and if he outlives Mom, he will come to live with me (agreed with the breeder) and if that didn't work out, his breeder will take him.

A responsible breeder should do this. If you get a shelter dog you should make arrangements for what will happen if you die or can no longer care for the dog, too.

And probably a good idea to carry papers indicating that arrangement in your wallet when you travel- otherwise if you were in an accident or became ill or died, your dog might end up at the local shelter. (My dog's breeder's phone number is also linked to her chip.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
My dogs both came from responsible breeders who will take the dog back, no questions asked, if I pass away. In fact, Sadie's breeder is named in my will to arrange for the dogs. Mom got her Cardi, Dondie, at age 83, she is now 90, and if he outlives Mom, he will come to live with me (agreed with the breeder) and if that didn't work out, his breeder will take him.

A responsible breeder should do this. If you get a shelter dog you should make arrangements for what will happen if you die or can no longer care for the dog, too.

And probably a good idea to carry papers indicating that arrangement in your wallet when you travel- otherwise if you were in an accident or became ill or died, your dog might end up at the local shelter. (My dog's breeder's phone number is also linked to her chip.)
Bobbie good idea’s . I think we are going to be ok though , Linda just told me one of her daughters who rescues will take the pups . She loves dogs , cats you name it. When we are on trips beside her dog she always taking ours on walks etc. We need to put her number on their tags like you said . Linda is more on top of this stuff then I am . She’s on it . I worry about fixing stuff . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
The only real downside I can think of for me is that Corgis shed like crazy. Most of the time I would like to spend time with my dog than do something without. But, after having five Corgis I have outlived all but one and my ex-wife has Max.

That's Rosie on the back of my Valkyrie. She passed away at 14 about18 months ago. Ira, in the wheels, lived to 14 also.
Sorry for losing your buddies . They are our best friends . Pat
Old 08-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Have wondered about the possibility of using a daycare opportunity, if I wanted....say, a day in a city (involving indoor not-dog-hospitable-circumstances)... but haven't gone there yet. (There are, of course, apps for this as well....but would be hard to trust utter strangers....)
That could be problematic: in addition to the issue of whether or not you can trust the business, many of them around here have an application process and waiting list, so a traveller dropping in would not be practical.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That could be problematic: in addition to the issue of whether or not you can trust the business, many of them around here have an application process and waiting list, so a traveller dropping in would not be practical.
We can vouch for that . Use to have a Jack Russell . Gave specific instructions to not use a chock collar on our jack . This was supposed to be a high end care facility . Well they didn’t follow our instructions and we gave them his harness . 550 later from a vet because if he wanted to run he did . He had some damage to his vocal cords . Never again . One of our daughters went to check on him and they brought him out to her with the chock chain on that was how we knew . I have another story but it would take too long . Some people do not understand our animals are our family . Your choice but never again for us . Pat
Old 08-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have successfully used rover.com for doggy daycare when traveling. Individuals who do the care in their homes. For example, went to a Flames game in Arizona and we got a dog sitter for $22. Great service and full reviews of the care givers on the website.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #47

Trailer: TBD
I do pet and house sitting. Initial contact is through ROVER.com. ROVER vets the individuals before they are allowed to participate. Since ROVER takes 20% of the top, I don't do followup jobs through ROVER. Check ROVER.com for details if interested. And if vacationing in the Quimper Peninsula look me up for dog sitting.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:23 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
For what it's worth: Our Coco went with us on every camping trip in our Escape, including the trip to pick up the trailer in Chilliwack in March of 2015. We just completed our first camping trip without her, as she passed from congestive heart failure a short time ago.

It was a great trip, and true, we did not have to worry about leaving the campsite to drive into town or go out to eat. Having said that, I'd have GLADLY given up that freedom to have Coco with us again. Attachment 41001Attachment 41002Attachment 41003
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.JPG  
Old 08-11-2019, 01:18 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
For what it's worth: Our Coco went with us on every camping trip in our Escape, including the trip to pick up the trailer in Chilliwack in March of 2015. We just completed our first camping trip without her, as she passed from congestive heart failure a short time ago.

It was a great trip, and true, we did not have to worry about leaving the campsite to drive into town or go out to eat. Having said that, I'd have GLADLY given up that freedom to have Coco with us again. Attachment 41001Attachment 41002Attachment 41003
Robert so very sorry for your loss Pat and Linda
Old 08-11-2019, 01:48 AM   #50

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We got a new puppy, Maltese, early this year, about to take her on her 1st camping trip. She's used to sleeping in a crate in the bedroom so we're going to take it along, but it's only for night time use. She's a yapper, so we'll see how this goes.

We never left our last Maltese in the trailer by herself with us leaving so I can't comment on such.

Sorry to hear about Coco Robert.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sorry for your loss Robert, this has been a bad year for a lot of us with our loved pets, Franklin included. My only suggestion is time helps as does a new replacement.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Glenn.Exactly the reason we will not get another dog,sad but true.It would not be fair to the dog.Today we are crossing the border to have lunch with our friends who recently got another Irish Setter.After losing their other one they have been very depressed.
We totally understand them, we are making the run so we get to meet the new family member.Still missing the Foxterrier terribly..
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #53

Trailer: 17A
Welsh Corgis are a wonderful breed--I've had two. I've also traveled with other breeds. Two things to know about Corgis. They can be very vocal and they shed a lot. I had a problem with the furnace in my 17A because it got clogged with dog hair. Also, if you have not had a dog before there's a lot to learn. Multiple that by ten if you plan to get a puppy. I myself would not want to live without a dog but they are a big responsibility. Good luck whichever way you choose.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape19 2016
#1 - train the dog to come back to you without fail when you call. This could save the dog's life.
#2 - train your dog to not make a fuss when you leave - this is really easy to do. That way you can leave your dog in your trailer for short periods of time without it barking.
I love travelling with my dog because it means we have to stop every few hours and this gives me a chance to see the landscape and relax - means I'm a safer more alert driver too. One of the best things about having is dog is meeting other people in RV parks who are also out walking their dogs. I keep a bowl of fresh water outside for my dog and other dogs who wander by with their owners. And I take my dog to a good doggie daycare one day a week so he can play with other dogs. A dog is a woman's best friend!
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #55

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Over the past 27 years, we have had 5 Italian Greyhounds and 1 Golden retriever mix. We are now down to our last 2 IG's (both around 13 years), and one has cataracts and the other skin cancer.

As much as we will miss having dogs in our lives, when these are gone, we are going to do without for a few years, so that when we do retire we can travel with no restrictions.

After a few years of travelling, when we are ready to slow down a bit, we will definitely get dogs again.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #56

Trailer: 2011 17B; Prior-2009 Escape-13B
I usually have a dog and one who likes road trips. Have never left alone in trailer, take with me in car when I leave campsite.
Getting ready for first long trip with new dog, a rescue, now 14 months, high energy...and challenged by getting all his energy out when he's not ready to be off leash unless in fenced area.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

It was a great trip, and true, we did not have to worry about leaving the campsite to drive into town or go out to eat. Having said that, I'd have GLADLY given up that freedom to have Coco with us again.
Oh, I am sorry to hear that Coco is no longer with you. You have my heartfelt sympathy!
Old 08-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #58

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpatch View Post
Welsh Corgis are a wonderful breed--I've had two. I've also traveled with other breeds. Two things to know about Corgis. They can be very vocal and they shed a lot. I had a problem with the furnace in my 17A because it got clogged with dog hair. Also, if you have not had a dog before there's a lot to learn. Multiple that by ten if you plan to get a puppy. I myself would not want to live without a dog but they are a big responsibility. Good luck whichever way you choose.
Hmm, maybe I should vacuum the furnace. Thanks for the heads up! My current two don't spend much time on the floor but Jack used to sleep under the dinette/bed so pretty close to the furnace.

He also shed more than the Cardigans do.

Vocal and shedding.. yep, that's corgis. Not for the weak of heart. It isn't so much barking, though, as talking back to you.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #59
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Lots of great advice and points here. I teach dog training classes on the side and based on my experience, I'll offer these few points:
-really research the breed to make sure that you are able to meet their needs and that they are a good fit for you; there are exceptions to every breed and every dog is different, but corgis are bred to be herding dogs and will put their energy into something else (chewing, barking, etc.) if their energy needs are not met (1-2 hours of exercise a day for a young adult dog)
-getting a puppy allows you to expose it to what you want and shape it more into the type of dog that you want... I.e. If you crate train it properly at a young age and make it part of their routine, it will learn to love it's crate and settle more readily
-enroll it in puppy classes before problems and issues develop-it's much better to be proactive and set off on the "right foot"
-there are other ways to tire out their extra energy on driving or travelling days that are less active- have your dog work for their meals by feeding them in puzzles, or stuff and freeze a Kong, there are also Tasty Bones or Nyla Bones to keep them busy... just always supervise to make sure they are safe

Having a dog is wonderful if you like the kind of lifestyle that goes along with it- our pointer requires 1.5-2 hours of exercise a day, but it's our time to also be in nature and debrief the day. It's fun exploring new trails with our 2 dogs while travelling, and then they are ready to relax when we are.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A word of warning camping in an Escape with a dog, mine got it's nail caught on one of the step holes and tore off the nail. Hershey is a disabled rescue and hops thus her nails are monger than normal. Since this happened on our 2014 Escape, I have installed pads on the step to prevent it from happening again.