Traveling with a dog - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #61

Trailer: 2000 Casita
I’m such a firm believer if you choose to get a dog then be a good owner and don’t put them in anguish! Pets are so loyal and just want to be with you. We travel with a dog and have NEVER EVER left her behind in our camping. Food and entertainment is not more important to us than keeping her with us. we choose restaurants with outdoor eating, we carry her in a sling when entering stores.. no one has ever told us to leave while I carry her. We have never owned a kennel nor could I lock her in a tiny cage. We love her way to much!
Jan Nentrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #62

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A word of warning; if you have the manual awning, don't tie a Brittany spaniel to the awning arm with a 40' lead. BIRD!!!
My buddy is still having difficulty putting his awning away, after fixing the bend in the arm. 🐿
Old 08-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
"... one has to be able to put the dogs needs" before their wants or they should pass on getting one."

I echo this sentiment. Dogs require as much love and devotion as they will give to you. Anything less from a human is a raw deal for the dog....especially the idea of leaving them alone for hours on end. They are pack creatures, love their humans, and require company, mental stimulation and regular exercise...just like us.
Mrs. iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Our dogs are the reason we have a camper, tent camping with the dogs did not cut it. They love traveling with us.....also recommend your dogs are microchipped with your cell phone info...
Old 08-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #65

Trailer: Still Deciding
Yes, you need a crate for it to keep it from getting in trouble. Also dogs are "den animals" they will occasionally want to be in a smaller secluded spot.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #66

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
I only have to say: “night-night”, and there they go. They love sleeping in the kennel at night.
Before we picked a puppy, we researched the different breeds. Ended up with Pepper (cavalier king charles) 7 years ago, and Zoe (boston/frenchton terrier) 1 year ago.
At home they both have their own kennel. When camping they share the kennel. And yes, they both see their kennel as their safe spot.
Simply doing your homework, checking out different breeds and their behaviour, and always seeing your pet as your best friend will help you in your decision.
( And yes, Zoe snores....loud)
Old 08-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #67

Trailer: 2007 17B
Springer or English cocker?
Dmmsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #68

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Dog travel

We just finished an 8000 mile trip across Canada (Ontario to NL) and back. Hi Alf, good to meet you in NL!

We have 2 60# goldendoodles who love to travel, are friendly, not barkers and best of all don’t shed. Yes it is cozy especially at night navigating 8 dog legs in the dark.

Best accessories:
1. An 8-segment 2’ tall dog fence that we set up as a corral right outside the door. We put our camp chairs in it for hanging out. Sometimes with friends it is expanded with their fence, dogs and chairs. It would not work for jumpers, but is great for us and gives them a place on the outdoor rug to keep an eye on things without leash tangles.
2. PlushPaws hammock and harness for the car. Room to lie down but safely buckled in.
3. Step cover, though one of the dogs has decided it makes a great perch when she wants to come in. She looks pretty silly sitting on it.

It is fun camping with them, but they have been well trained with frequent updates. Not all dogs love the daily changes in routine but ours seem to be pretty happy. We are also not averse to leaving them at the home kennel if it doesn’t seem enjoyable for all.

We were greatly surprised to find dogs welcomed on trails at Lanse aux Meadows national park in NL and at Acadia NP in Maine. A treat for sure.
Quebec has only 2 campgrounds that allow dogs as a pilot program and then only in the cg loops. Most of the NPs we know in the Western US allow dogs only in the campgrounds.

For us its fun. YMMV of course.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Our dogs are the reason we have a camper, tent camping with the dogs did not cut it. They love traveling with us.....also recommend your dogs are microchipped with your cell phone info...
I have spent many hundreds of nights with one of my dogs with me while camping and sleeping in a tent, and they have all loved it. Just the opportunity to get out and travel on foot alone is invigorating to them. I have done summer hiking, winter ski expeditions, or water canoeing with all dogs I have owed, and they have absolutely loved it. I have even campground tent camped with success.

If I brought out the sled harness or panniers, my dogs would go baserk knowing they were going to be off to have fun.

That said, they do love trailers to, anything that gets them out. [emoji4]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #70

Trailer: Still Deciding
A Golden Retriever is the very best friend you will ever have. Even though they're larger they are aware of their size and are never "under foot"
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
A Golden Retriever is the very best friend you will ever have. Even though they're larger they are aware of their size and are never "under foot"
Was our dog of choice when the kids were growing up . Never worried with younger kids . Later on ended up with a rescue Shih Tzu and now love them too. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #72
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Most NPS sites allow dogs, but all require a leash. I’ve seen very bad dog behavior (or should I say dog owner) in my 30 years working for the NPS. Obviously sites like Presidential homes and many historical sites can’t accommodate pets. Just check with the local Visitor Center to discover the local policy and watch out for skunks lol.
Every National Park I've been to, you can only have dogs in paved areas, you can't take them walking with you on trails.

We were sad when our 12 yr old yellow lab Maggie passed away but its been a lot easier to travel.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #73
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
I'll call your goldie and raise you a lab

truly, you can't go wrong with either a goldie or a lab as long as you raise them right.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #74

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
I've loved them all but he was something special.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0192 (3).jpg  
Old 08-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
truly, you can't go wrong with either a goldie or a lab as long as you raise them right.
oh funny story. our Lab was chosen from the first litter a friend of ours' Lab had... the owners daughter, and my daughter, and all the neighborhood girls got to handle the puppies extensively from the moment they were old enough until they were weaned, and then Maggie was very much much my daughter's puppy.

(my nomination for cutest puppy picture, evuh!

ALL the dogs of this first litter were really friendly and cuddly, and none of them were much for chasing balls and retrieving.

the owner bred his dog one more time, with a different stud, and that time, his SON was the one with all HIS friends handling the pups. THOSE dogs all wanted to play ball all day long, hah hah.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #76

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All but one of my 7 dogs I have had in my life were rescues or castaways.....
Old 08-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #77

Trailer: TBD
Ok, I have to put in my recommendation too.

My favorite is breed is Corgis (although I do have a soft spot for Labrador Retrievers & Belgian Malinois). I can't tell you how many times adults & children have descended on me saying "oooh, Corgis!". They can be high energy but seldom hyperactive, have a lot of personality in a small package and travel very well. And shed.

Dogs do enhance their owner's lives but come with a price. They require a responsible person to care for them and in exchange, they steal your heart and leave a hole when their all too short lives end.

Don't rule out rescuing a dog too.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #78

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All but one of my 7 dogs I have had in my life were rescues or castaways.....
Three of the four were rescues. This was about six years ago and two are gone. The three legged beagle mix, Mister Cone, just went camping with me. He's subject to seizures so we give him three different medicines each day and his one rear leg is about worn out so I have to carry him quite a bit now. But, he's no problem
Attached Thumbnails
Me and the Dogs.jpg   Mr Cone.jpg  
Old 08-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #79

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Anyone travel with a boxer. In Dec I will looking for my fourth boxer as sadly had to say goodbye to my most recent walking companion ( Puppy) yes that was his name , of 16 yrs. Love boxers and all have been rescue. Hard to walk the property in mornings still
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #80

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Pick the dog and personality, not the breed. We have had everything from a St Bernard to a terrier, and everything in between. Don't buy from a breeder, instead, rescue a wonderful dog!

We have at times used a nearby doggie day care so our dog didn't spend the day in the trailer while we were hiking.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote