Traveling with a dog - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Anyone travel with a boxer. In Dec I will looking for my fourth boxer as sadly had to say goodbye to my most recent walking companion ( Puppy) yes that was his name , of 16 yrs. Love boxers and all have been rescue. Hard to walk the property in mornings still
Met many boxers and loved them too . Heck we just love dogs ! Sorry for your loss . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:11 AM   #82

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Anyone travel with a boxer. In Dec I will looking for my fourth boxer as sadly had to say goodbye to my most recent walking companion ( Puppy) yes that was his name , of 16 yrs. Love boxers and all have been rescue. Hard to walk the property in mornings still
Oldtimer, we raised Boxers for many years and have a weakness for them. At one time we had 4 boxers in a 19' Scamp, talk about close especially when the young male decided he was going to take the old man. Not fun trying to wade in between the 4 of them in such close quarters.

We also lost our Abby in July a few days before leaving for Chilliwack to pickup our new 21. What made things better was still having Eli, he just loves to travel. While on the way north we made time to stop at Yellowstone NP. One stop I decided to stay with Eli and my wife went to I think is was the paint pots boardwalk. We positioned our selves at the boardwalk and Eli made sure to greet one and all returning. The best was a family with 3 children that had left their boxer at home for their trip to the park. Needless to say Eli dutifully provided all the necessary Boxer therapy the entire family needed. Then there was the lady that saw him as they drove by hunting a parking spot, she came straight to him and never made it on the boardwalk. This is Eli:
Attached Thumbnails
02-06-09 a.jpg  
Old 08-23-2019, 05:59 AM   #83

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Three of the four were rescues. This was about six years ago and two are gone. The three legged beagle mix, Mister Cone, just went camping with me. He's subject to seizures so we give him three different medicines each day and his one rear leg is about worn out so I have to carry him quite a bit now. But, he's no problem
Bless you and the animals....
Old 08-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #84

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just got back from our 1st trip with our new Maltese puppy, got a lot of work ahead...

Want's to play with every kid it sees, yapping like crazy the whole time.
Barks at anything that surprises her or is unknown, Parked cars, a bench, parked bikes, trash bags, ducks, other dogs.
Wants to play fetch in the trailer.

Park rules said no barking, only get one warning, we didn't get thrown out.

We got spoiled after a couple years without.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #85

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just got back from our 1st trip with our new Maltese puppy, got a lot of work ahead...

Want's to play with every kid it sees, yapping like crazy the whole time.
Barks at anything that surprises her or is unknown, Parked cars, a bench, parked bikes, trash bags, ducks, other dogs.
Wants to play fetch in the trailer.

Park rules said no barking, only get one warning, we didn't get thrown out.

We got spoiled after a couple years without.
She or he will keep you young and on your toes ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #86

Trailer: Escape 2019 21'
In jan. my 6 mo. Boston and myself stopped in the Home Depot in Bellingham after picking up our new escape 21. We were immediately met by two older employees one of whom asked if it would be o.k. to pet her. No problem as I was holding her. He then told me his Boston was going to be put down in two days due to cancer. The man started to melt and his associate led him away and I told him we had to go. Everybody around us had wet eyes. Loosing one of the best friends you will ever have is not easy. Enjoy them while you can.
vmomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #87

Trailer: 68 Aladdin
Corgis are great dogs.

Cannot stress enough what Bobbie54 said: “Corgis, like most herding dogs, default by nature to barking.”

Corgis herd by barking and nipping. It is what they have been bred to do. You are hoping that the one you get will completely unnaturally NOT bark. Good luck with that.
Alaskascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #88

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskascott View Post
Corgis are great dogs.

Cannot stress enough what Bobbie54 said: “Corgis, like most herding dogs, default by nature to barking.”

Corgis herd by barking and nipping. It is what they have been bred to do. You are hoping that the one you get will completely unnaturally NOT bark. Good luck with that.
Yep, even if the breeder says that puppy never barks, once your pup is on its own, it's likely to bark. Might take longer to do much of it. And they are sassy. "Hurry up!" "Feed me!" "Let's go for a walk!" "You said boat, are we going kayaking? Hurry, hurry!" "There is a strange car (person, dog, bird) outside." "I'm bored, do something!" But if you start camping with a young pup and totally discourage barking while camping (don't respond, reward quiet, talk more quietly yourselves) yours may be like mine- they keep it way down camping and even more down at motels, and make up for it the moment they get home from a trip.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #89

Trailer: TBD
I've been fortunate. Of the five Corgis I've had only one was a barker and he responded almost immediately to "NO BARK". I miss each and every one of my Corgis. Maybe not Ira as much as the rest. Ira's sense of humor was annoying at times.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #90

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
A word of warning; if you have the manual awning, don't tie a Brittany spaniel to the awning arm with a 40' lead. BIRD!!!
My buddy is still having difficulty putting his awning away, after fixing the bend in the arm. 🐿
And don't attach your dogs leash to the newer automatic retractable awnings!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #91

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i travel with two Jack Russels and a standard schnauzer. i love traveling with them we do leave them in the trailer for time away occasionally i make sure they are tired , have water , leave the fan /air conditioner on , and close the shades. they usually sleep. if I am going to be gone for several hours i have someone check on them. If the weather is good usually they can go with us in the car. I agree i always am thinking about them making sure they are OK but for me its worth it. My dogs all love to swim, hike, and kayak with me . In the campground they are tied or in a pen- i don't leave them alone outside -tied or penned too many ways to get into trouble and bark! I couldn't live without a dog. My dogs also often go to work with me at the nursing home so they are well socialized.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #92

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Any dog can be trained to not bark, I have had to do it with a few. I mostly only allow barking at a door knock or similar, as it is a good defensive thing. Barking at fake stuff while out playing is fine too, just not excessively.

My wife keeps trying to make me be quieter too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 05:40 AM   #93

Trailer: Gulf Stream Conquest Travel Trailer 2013
Sorry for bumping, but we are going to take our 10-month-old boxer on a trip in 2 months. He is pretty well-trained as a puppy of his age. He doesn't bark much, etc., and we don't think we'd have any issues with him. Moreover, my wife doesn't want to leave him with our neighbors for a long time.
So, the question is what are the most important things I should take for him? I want to buy everything in advance and be sure we have all the needed stuff. I've already surfed petsylife and found the places to buy everything in our area. But I'd like to make a list first. Except for medications (here I'm going to talk to the vet as the dog is young and not all meds can be given) and a GPS tracker, what are the must-haves? Share your experiences, please.
Jacob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 08:30 AM   #94

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Here’s our list that’s devloped over the past nine years.

2 leashes,, a tie out cable. We use a harness because Jake is a puller, dog poop bags, his favorite small toys with extras.

Dog bed, kennel, the regular food he eats, his favorite blanket, an old towel for drying him off after a wet weather walk, his raincoat, sweater etc,

medicines if regular dispersal is going to occur while you’re out, Like tick repellant, heart worm med etc.

We have a small bottle of Shampoo in case he rolls in some coon poop or something else stinky and needs a bath. A small spray bottle of Natures miracle in case there’s an accident
In the trailer.

Brush for when he picks up burrs if he’s prone to that, nail clippers for a broken or split nail or trimming his nails,

A good collar with your name and phone on a brass tag attached with two rivets, his vet vaccination records and rabies vac tag, vaccination record.

Training collar, controller and charger if you use one or get a good place to work him off leash. Food bowls, the water he likes to drink, Treats

Our dog is a hunting fool. He can sniff out and swallow whole six baby cottontail rabbits faster than you can say Jack Robinson. When this happens we have a syringe (no needle) and some hydrogen peroxide. He gets a drink of peroxide and up come the rabbits, whole and intact. Nasty,
but better than bones trying to go through his system. Sorry, you asked.
That’s what we have for our dog Jake who has traveled pretty close to 100,000 miles camping in 9 years and crossed the border in and out of Canada 36 times. He’s chipped too. You’ll need to be willing to get the dog out and walk him around some times when it’s not convenient for you but the relief of concentrating on towing and getting pooled blood moving for ten minutes is probably better for you than you realize. My human son gets a little confused when I call Jake “son” but he’s our boy and we live the saying “Love me love my dog”.
Take a lot of pictures.
Iowa Dave and Rita
Attached Thumbnails
0857574C-488F-4E78-97DA-18D70A026A35.jpg  
Old 01-24-2024, 03:59 PM   #95
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Brown View Post
Sorry for bumping, but we are going to take our 10-month-old boxer on a trip in 2 months. He is pretty well-trained as a puppy of his age. He doesn't bark much, etc., and we don't think we'd have any issues with him. Moreover, my wife doesn't want to leave him with our neighbors for a long time.
So, the question is what are the most important things I should take for him? I want to buy everything in advance and be sure we have all the needed stuff. I've already surfed petsylife and found the places to buy everything in our area. But I'd like to make a list first. Except for medications (here I'm going to talk to the vet as the dog is young and not all meds can be given) and a GPS tracker, what are the must-haves? Share your experiences, please.
We have two leashes; one in the tow vehicle and one in the trailer. There's been a couple of times when we are out exploring only to realize the leash is in the trailer and then we have to improvise with a tie tie-down
Poop bags.
Choke collar for maximum control. Sage is very well trained and most other dogs are not. I want to be able to pull her out of a situation with out her slipping her collar. Some people think chokers are cruel. Whatever.
Collapsible water bowl and a bottle of water.
Some treats
Blanket or pad to lay down on
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 10:54 PM   #96

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
You have gotten a lot of great information. I may have missed it in the responses, but we carry a tick spoon. It is a small metal gizmo with a hole that goes over the tick so you can easily remove the tick. I found in a three-pack in a pet store.
Our dogs sleep on the floor, one under the dinette and one in the doorway—they are standard sized goldendoodles. We also bring a stack of small rags for wiping faces after meals and dirty paws. We travel with an 8-section fence that collapses and stores in the back of the suv. We set it up on an outdoor rug and there is room enough in it for our camp chairs and 2 dogs. It is where we feed them—right outside the trailer or near the picnic table depending on site and weather. If it is hot then it is close to the trailer and under the awning for shade.
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 02:20 PM   #97

Trailer: Escape23 (plan)
One of our reasons for transitioning back to camping is our dog. We don’t like traveling without our dog, so finding traveling options that we can enjoy with our dog is becoming a priority. He sleeps in his crate when we work and he doesn’t cry or bark. He only barks when strangers knock on the door and we haven’t discouraged that.

Anyway, I’m planning to be super patient with our dog and appreciate any tips.
Andiwheels14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:21 AM   #98

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I don't know why that is, but our Josie never barks -never - unless it is one short arf - when she needs to come in the house, or wants a chew stick. Good girl!
Attached Thumbnails
JosieQ.jpg  
Old 01-28-2024, 02:07 PM   #99

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiwheels14 View Post
One of our reasons for transitioning back to camping is our dog. We don’t like traveling without our dog, so finding traveling options that we can enjoy with our dog is becoming a priority.
That is one big reason we travel by truck and trailer, too. Our dog is our family, accompanies us everywhere and her needs are taken into account at all times.

Plus we come across some special places on our pit stops for her.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:12 PM   #100

Trailer: 2021 Rockwood 2318G
Many suggestions and thoughts here. Yes, a dog can be an "anchor" at times, but so can children, elderly, etc. Dogs are family so you just adapt. We always travel with Bennie (our beagle). He's not a huge fan of camping, but he enjoys the hikes that usually accompany our trips so he adapts :-) . When traveling in the car he rides inside a soft crate (with a dog bed) on the back seat. Keeps him confined so he stays out of trouble, keeps the hair contained and if he gets carsick keeps that confined as well. He travels well this way and usually sleeps through most of the drive.

Inside our camper his bed is under the dinette and we have a cover on a bench that he can use as well....(he loves to be a nosy neighbor and watch out the window). When we leave the camper he comes along with us, unless it's only for brief periods of a half hour or so. He's generally quiet then, but every time we've returned he's looking out the window awaiting our return. (At home he sleeps in his crate and goes into it readily, but in the camper he doesn't like the crate...go figure).

When we're hiking or fishing, he comes with us. We go to dinner either after dark or other times when it's cool. If the restaurant has outdoor seating and allows pets, then he comes with us. If visiting a museum or visitor center, then my wife and I simply take turns touring so that Ben isn't left alone.
Attached Thumbnails
home yet.jpg   benbed.jpg   nosy.jpg  
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote