Traveling with Pet from US into Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21’ Escape
Traveling with Pet from US into Canada

We are on planning to attend the Escape Rally in Osoyoos this year and will be traveling with our small pet dog. Does anyone know what restrictions we might encounter at the border crossing both going into Canada and coming back into the US?

Thanks,
Doug
Cowboy Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
You'll need a current rabies vaccine certificate from your vet. We took 3 across at Sumas in 2018 when we picked up our 19 and didn't get checked. But we have been checked during other trips. In many trips to BC and Alberta, we've never had a problem with multiple dogs, as long as we had their rabies certificates.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
They probably won't be checking any more but good to have that rabies vaccine certificate.

Also, make sure your dog food is in the original bag and does not contain a forbidden meat (check the customs list). No raw.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: ?
We made a passport for our dog. The women at the CA border said it was the first time she had ever actually seen a dog passport but liked the idea.

Took a good picture of the dog. Printed it out about 3 x 5.
Laid it over a copy of her health certificate/shot record and made several copies.

That way, should the dog get separated from us, we have a picture to show around as well as proof of ownership.

Enjoy your travels.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21’ Escape
Thanks for the responses. Our dog is current on rabies vaccinations and we have that documentation. I was hoping that was all we would need.

Thanks,
Doug
Cowboy Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Our dog travels in a large plastic kennel on the folded down drivers side seat right behind the driver. As you pull into the checkpoint, roll your window down so the crossing official can see the dog. Hand them a current copy of the rabies vaccine record from your vet right with your passports. Answer the questions accurately and succinctly. This has always worked for us, we’ve never been delayed due to the dog. Most common question “Does he hunt?” He is a hunting dog. Twenty eight crossings, 14 each way, in 5 years, all to Canada. Big,tough looking US border guard with a mullet, peered into the seat behind me. “Is that a puppy dog” he said. Cracked me up as we drove away.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-10-2020, 11:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Most common question “Does he hunt?” He is a hunting dog.
Iowa Dave

Or, can I give him a biscuit?
Old 03-11-2020, 04:50 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Be sure and put an id tag on the dog with your cell phone number in case of separation. We also bring water from home, otherwise you run the risk of upset stomach. Current (90 days) signed letter from vet showing rabies certification, but we have never had to show it over past 6 years and dozens of crossings.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Big,tough looking US border guard with a mullet, peered into the seat behind me. “Is that a puppy dog” he said. Cracked me up as we drove away.
Iowa Dave
We once had our daughter's chocolate lab with us crossing into Warroad MN rolled window down, would you like to see his papers I asked the guard. "No", was his response, "as long as he doesn't bite me"
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I presented my girls' rabies certificates and they obliged with my request they be stamped like a passport as a keepsake.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The only check was at ,one of the campgrounds asked to see the dogs papers nothing at any of the border crossings.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
On December 8th 2019 we took delivery of a wire fox terrier at the Seattle airport.The puppy was shipped from Joplin Missouri to Chicago via American Airline Cargo that are very good at shipping cats and dogs.She had all the papers in an envelope taped to the top of the kennel.
Getting up to the Canadian border, we were asked for the purpose of our trip and I replied that we just picked up this puppy from the air port.The guard asked if it came from a Rescue or a Kennel, I truthfully replied from a kennel.He gave me back our passport and said:Have a nice day.But every situation might be different.I had the big envelope with the paper work and vaccinations on the dash board, but he was not interested.
In past years we always had the papers ready but hardly ever got asked.Just my two bits worth.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I have two dogs I travel with Labradoodles. I travel to Canada a lot siblings up there and I have dual citizenship. I actually never offer the Canadian border police the rabies papers unless they ask for them. Sometimes they are just having a really crappy day and giving them something they didn’t ask for just makes the crossing a little bit more tense.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote