Treatments for Black Tank? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2023, 01:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not going to watch a 60 minute video. Is the treatment formula called the GEO Method? IF so, the worst plugged black tank I've heard about started with people who only used the GEO Method. There's nothing in the chemicals used that are manufactured to breakdown TP or feces.

Sorry Alf, we were posting at the same time. If it works for you great, I'll never use it though.
Hi: Donna D... I knew I shouldn't have tried to sew up this thread!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
How much water should we start with in the black tank?
We've never ever started by adding water to the tank. As others have said, use adequate water when flushing.

An RV toilet can have some extra water added by holding the flush lever only partly open. But only filling the bowl a reasonable amount, not trying to put lot's of water in the tank beforehand.

Our toilet is fully used, I'd rather park my butt on my own toilet than some unknown, used by many people, toilet.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 E19
I consider it unfortunate that Pine Sol no longer is made of actual pine oil. A few years ago they switched to a chemically synthesized version. Some long-time users of Pine Sol say it doesn't clean as well, although I have no data. One brand that still contains 100% pure pine oil is King Pine; there might be others. Personally, I like pine scent.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:58 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Just be careful of some of the homebrew tank treatments. You don't want to use something that will dry out the seals at the valves or even the flapper that closes the toilet from the tank. For instance, years ago I heard bleach was a no-no, so I've never used it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:43 PM   #25

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
I’m sure others on here have better answers, but we start with about a gallon of water (with the powder Odorlos). We rarely go “number 2,” and always, always flush with lots of water each time.

FYI, here’s a previous thread I found on the subject of black tank treatments with more thoughts on the subject from fellow Escape owners:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...e-18510-3.html
Think I would start with more than a gallon on a 21C as the tank toilet top entry is on the opposite side from the side discharge tube that likely holds a gallon or 3 on it's own. Believe there was a recent thread on a 21C with associated "problems" as they were making deposits to a relatively dry tank bottom Copious flushing helps though.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ing-24357.html

Tank shape, "input" location and discharge location all play into this. The E19, though a small tank, is relatively a straight shot in and out (bottom discharge - the tank that is!)
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:53 PM   #26

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
We use Camco TST. Only time I notice a smell is when I forget to use it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Think I would start with more than a gallon on a 21C as the tank toilet top entry is on the opposite side from the side discharge tube that likely holds a gallon or 3 on it's own. Believe there was a recent thread on a 21C with associated "problems" as they were making deposits to a relatively dry tank bottom Copious flushing helps though.
I guess that all depends on what is being “put in the tank,” so to speak. I saw the thread you linked regarding clogged toilets. We’ve never had that problem, so…..

As for the OP’s tanks in the 5.0, someone with a 5.0 would be best to answer that question - obviously.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Odorlos & Poo-Pourri

I have been using Odorlos liquid for a while and it works pretty well. Lately I've added another step: I spray the toilet with Poo-Pourri before going "#2". Poo-Pourri is made for home use, but it seems to work okay in an RV. It adds a film of oil to the water in the toilet that is supposed to trap the odor, and it really seems to help.

I've decided some of the toilet odor really comes from the bathroom ceiling vent. This vent is next to the black tank vent on the roof and random airflow or especially using the main ceiling fan when the bathroom vent is open can draw the odor in and really stink up the trailer. Now I keep the bathroom ceiling vent closed unless its fan is on.

Finally, I read the post about putting several gallons of water in the black tank before using it in order to avoid "the poo pyramid". I did this at my last stop and six days later my toilet wouldn't flush! The tank was full. I have never filled my black tank before. Worse, the black tank extends under my bed and during the night I could hear it gurgling and rumbling. I couldn't sleep for fear it would explode and I'd drown in poop, a fate I thought I had escaped when I left the farm. Never again-- I'll add enough water to an empty black tank for a dose of Odorlos and no more.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Worse, the black tank extends under my bed and during the night I could hear it gurgling and rumbling. I couldn't sleep for fear it would explode and I'd drown in poop, a fate I thought I had escaped when I left the farm.
Oh man, that made me chuckle!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:22 PM   #30

Quote:

Worse, the black tank extends under my bed and during the night I could hear it gurgling and rumbling. I couldn't sleep for fear it would explode and I'd drown in poop, a fate I thought I had escaped when I left the farm.

Ron
Old 03-25-2023, 08:49 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I have been using Odorlos liquid for a while and it works pretty well. Lately I've added another step: I spray the toilet with Poo-Pourri before going "#2". Poo-Pourri is made for home use, but it seems to work okay in an RV. It adds a film of oil to the water in the toilet that is supposed to trap the odor, and it really seems to help.

I've decided some of the toilet odor really comes from the bathroom ceiling vent. This vent is next to the black tank vent on the roof and random airflow or especially using the main ceiling fan when the bathroom vent is open can draw the odor in and really stink up the trailer. Now I keep the bathroom ceiling vent closed unless its fan is on.

Finally, I read the post about putting several gallons of water in the black tank before using it in order to avoid "the poo pyramid". I did this at my last stop and six days later my toilet wouldn't flush! The tank was full. I have never filled my black tank before. Worse, the black tank extends under my bed and during the night I could hear it gurgling and rumbling. I couldn't sleep for fear it would explode and I'd drown in poop, a fate I thought I had escaped when I left the farm. Never again-- I'll add enough water to an empty black tank for a dose of Odorlos and no more.
Hi: Mike Lewis... Any "Gurgling and rumbling" I hear in the night is usually me!!! When contemplating the "Throne" I have to remind myself to pay attention to 1/2 of what I read and even less of what I see!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:02 AM   #32
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
AquaKem with H20

We use AquaKem; I buy the small bottles for shorter trips and pour 1/2 bottle into the bowl each time the black tank is emptied. But first, I fill the bowl with water and stir it around to ensure it doesn't just 'sit' there. When we picked up our trailer in 2015, we were told to fill the bowl up twice with water to ensure there was some liquid in the tank.

Once I didn't 'stir' the chemicals in the bowl and you could see that things just didn't disolve as well.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post

Once I didn't 'stir' the chemicals in the bowl and you could see that things just didn't disolve as well.
I've never used chemicals and never worried if my poop dissolved. All I care about is that when I open the valve the tank contents come whooshing out. Dissolved or in suspension, I don't care.

Before newbies start adding chemicals to the tank maybe they should try going without the first few uses. Maybe they'll find that nothing is needed.

Maybe Mike has a point, using the overhead power vent might pull odors up and out the tank. I don't like the noise, never use it and just crack the window open.

Ron
Old 03-25-2023, 11:11 AM   #34

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've never used chemicals and never worried if my poop dissolved. All I care about is that when I open the valve the tank contents come whooshing out. Dissolved or in suspension, I don't care. n

We do use a minimal amount of Odorlos (10 gal. line) to keep the smell down. Years ago we learned to travel with the black tank as full as possible, but with enough room for the next campsite, to agitate the tank traveling down the road, and empty when the tank is 2/3 full. Only when winterizing do we empty a less than 2/3rd's full tank.

IMHO, too much money is spent on nasty chemicals. It's a holding tank, not a septic tank. We just want to keep the smell down and dump the solids. We have friends with an Airstream and use their black rinse to give their camper an enema every time they dump. The problem with that is it can take 10-15 minutes for clear water to come out, therefore they hold up the dumping line. Yes, they've been yelled at.

We use standard Charmin toilet paper.

We also pour in 3-4 gallons of water immediately after dumping the black water, while still dumping the grey tank.

Works for us,

Perry
Old 03-26-2023, 07:48 PM   #35

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We have a bunch of something my parents bought at an Escapade when a vendor retired many years ago. It’s about half gone over the years. It works okay, not great. I only use it if we are holding the waste more than two days and it’s warm or hot. Otherwise, it doesn’t seem to have much odor.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:33 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I've never used any chemical blue stuff since I hated the smell of it when I was a kid in our Winnebago. For a while I tried the GEO (get everything out) formula which is Calgon, water, and laundry or dish detergent and is meant for odors and as a surfactant to help slide everything out and presumable keep the tank and sensors cleaner.

Then I tried Walex Bio-Pak Natural Enzyme and Deodorizer and Digester. I honestly didn't see much difference between these and just using straight water with no additives. The only time I smell my tanks is when emptying and that's probably because of the vent.

For a few years now I haven't been using anything but water. Like the video says, "you don't want anything to break down because then it forms a peanut-buttery sludge that coats the sensors and walls. It's a holding tank, not a septic system!"

The video also says you can use any kind of TP you want. Just don't use a lot of it!
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:04 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post

For a few years now I haven't been using anything but water. Like the video says, "you don't want anything to break down because then it forms a peanut-buttery sludge that coats the sensors and walls. It's a holding tank, not a septic system!"
For awhile there I thought that I was the only one who only used water.

I keep thinking of the comment Mike L. made about the possibility of the exhaust vent sucking up smells from the tank. Since I use the window and not the power vent and don't notice any odors maybe that's a possibility.

Ron
Old 03-29-2023, 12:12 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
RV Boss

Used RV boss for years. $20 Canadian for a bottle will last you a long time use it goes in the black and gray tanks.

Environmentally friendly.

https://www.rona.ca/en/product/rv-bo...r-1775-3244001
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:17 PM   #39

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
We use the low tech method: WATER, WATER and more WATER combined with frequent trips to the dump.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote