Treatments for Black Tank? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2023, 10:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Question Treatments for Black Tank?

Hi folks, I tried searching the forums for this, but no luck, so I may have the wrong terminology. I understand some folks recommend adding a treatment to the black tank. (Not the grey also, right?).

What is the best product? Any tips? Thanks!

On a side note, we got the first pics of our 5.0 build yesterday!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I used a Therford liquid product for years, then they changed the formula... again and this time it wasn't nearly as good. Using Happy Camper now and am satisfied. Can use it in the gray tank too if you wish.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 E19
Nothing..............

Lots of water.... It's a holding tank, not a treatment / septic tank. You don't want "things" to break down..................go to 5:30 in the below.

7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Hi folks, I tried searching the forums for this, but no luck, so I may have the wrong terminology. I understand some folks recommend adding a treatment to the black tank. (Not the grey also, right?).

What is the best product? Any tips? Thanks!

On a side note, we got the first pics of our 5.0 build yesterday!
Picture Day is the best, isn’t it?! Congrats.

We use a dry powdered product called Odorlos (also comes in liquid too). It was recommended by some on this forum, so that’s what we went with. It’s done the job for us, as we are, indeed, odorless. Haha.

We do use it in the grey tank too.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:37 AM   #5

Good stuff to start with, thanks all!
Old 03-24-2023, 10:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post

Lots of water.... It's a holding tank, not a treatment / septic tank. You don't want "things" to break down
I agree. We don't add anything except extra water to rinse after the contents have drained.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:57 AM   #7

Odorlos - careful with that ..............

Nitric acid salt composition.................observe safe handling.

http://www.valterra.com/wp-content/u...Liquid-SDS.pdf
Old 03-24-2023, 11:19 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Quote:
Lots of water.... It's a holding tank, not a treatment / septic tank. You don't want "things" to break down..................go to 5:30 in the below.

Interesting video with good information. If you go to his website he tells you the formula to make a treatment that is inexpensive.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Fuming!!!

Quote:
Good stuff to start with, thanks all!
Hi: AuthorSP... We don't get "Tanked" to often but we do use the Geo method. Made of washing products...Calgon water softener, and dishwasher( low sudsing) detergent w/ bleach. Google "The Geo Method" for the recipe. Just be careful that you don't gas yourself mixing chemicals. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:42 AM   #10
Site Team

I'm not going to watch a 60 minute video. Is the treatment formula called the GEO Method? IF so, the worst plugged black tank I've heard about started with people who only used the GEO Method. There's nothing in the chemicals used that are manufactured to breakdown TP or feces.

Sorry Alf, we were posting at the same time. If it works for you great, I'll never use it though.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not going to watch a 60 minute video. Is the treatment formula called the GEO Method? IF so, the worst plugged black tank I've heard about started with people who only used the GEO Method. There's nothing in the chemicals used that are manufactured to breakdown TP or feces.

Sorry Alf, we were posting at the same time. If it works for you great, I'll never use it though.
The Kleen Tank recipe is Pine-Sol and Calgon bath pearls......No thanks. IMHO - Pine-Sol REEKS!

Not enough water in the black tank before use is usually the problem.............then letting it sit too long ( a week +)

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink......
Old 03-24-2023, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Nitric acid salt composition.................observe safe handling.

http://www.valterra.com/wp-content/u...Liquid-SDS.pdf
Certainly wouldn’t want Odorlos or Happy Camper in reach of children - like almost all cleaners (including Pine-Sol, btw, which also has a scary Safety Data Sheet).

Otherwise, I don’t know about such a dire warning. We use the powder, but wouldn’t worry about the liquid either since we never travel with kids. The usual YMMV applies.

The emphasis by the Kleen Tank expert in the video on using plenty of water when flushing is great advice, though. We follow that as well.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Dump station informational sign (sorry no picture)

On a recent trip to Ft. Worden State Park (WA state) a sign posted at the dump station asked that campers not use any holding tank additive. The sign's text read more of a plea than instruction as it described the problems tank additives cause for park rangers and asked that campers not use them. As this is the first camper we've had with a black tank I was a bit surprised at this since the variety of tank treatments abound. I didn't take picture of the sign but then wondered how and/or when I was going to use the treatment we had purchased.
Before this posting I briefly searched the Washington State Parks' web page and the internet generally with a variety of search terms but did not find on-point content. However, I will respect Park's request.
HBGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGH View Post
On a recent trip to Ft. Worden State Park (WA state) a sign posted at the dump station asked that campers not use any holding tank additive. The sign's text read more of a plea than instruction as it described the problems tank additives cause for park rangers and asked that campers not use them. As this is the first camper we've had with a black tank I was a bit surprised at this since the variety of tank treatments abound. I didn't take picture of the sign but then wondered how and/or when I was going to use the treatment we had purchased.
Before this posting I briefly searched the Washington State Parks' web page and the internet generally with a variety of search terms but did not find on-point content. However, I will respect Park's request.
Hi, HBGH, here’s a link to what I found re: the Washington State Parks call for campers eliminating use of RV holding tank additives when emptying tanks at their park dumping stations.

https://doh.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...s//337-135.pdf

Not advocating or objecting to their policy. Just found it and posted for folks to review if they want.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:06 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
Hi, HBGH, here’s a link to what I found re: the Washington State Parks call for campers eliminating use of RV holding tank additives when emptying tanks at their park dumping stations.

Not advocating or objecting to their policy. Just found it and posted for folks to review if they want.
It's about the chemicals, not about all tank treatments. But if you read the PDF, there's this: " Odors from holding tanks can be reduced by emptying the holding tanks every day,..." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't you wonder if the people writing these 'suggestions' have ever used an RV? Especially since campsites with FULL hookups, which includes sewer, are nearly NULL in Washington State campgrounds. They're easier to find in private parks and the 'suggestion' doesn't apply there.

Oh brother....
Old 03-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #16

How much water should we start with in the black tank?
Old 03-24-2023, 01:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Thank for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post

It's a Department of Health web page...I should've searched there too... good thinking!
HBGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 01:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGH View Post
It's a Department of Health web page...I should've searched there too... good thinking!
I appreciate the compliment. It was probably more of a blind squirrel and nut thing though…..
Old 03-24-2023, 01:47 PM   #19

Quote:
I’m sure others on here have better answers, but we start with about a gallon of water (with the powder Odorlos). We rarely go “number 2,” and always, always flush with lots of water each time.

FYI, here’s a previous thread I found on the subject of black tank treatments with more thoughts on the subject from fellow Escape owners:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...e-18510-3.html
Old 03-24-2023, 01:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: AuthorSP... Maybe 2 gallons. Enough to fill the line to the gate valve and put some in the bottom of the tank. Remember... emptying your black tank every seven days makes one weak!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote