Trip Back from Chilliwack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Trip Back from Chilliwack

Heading up to BC to pick up a new trailer at the end of this month. Wondering if anyone has any route advise back to western CO? Hoping to minimize my chances of encountering snow and ice. I know I am rolling the dice and it is winter so no need to reply if that is your advice. I have about 3-4 days for the trip. Anyone have experience with a great route to CO? Thanks!
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
Heading up to BC to pick up a new trailer at the end of this month. Wondering if anyone has any route advise back to western CO? Hoping to minimize my chances of encountering snow and ice. I know I am rolling the dice and it is winter so no need to reply if that is your advice. I have about 3-4 days for the trip. Anyone have experience with a great route to CO? Thanks!
We just did this in mid to late Sept -- but we went across the WA mountains which might not be a good plan-- but you are already probably planning to go down I-5 to "the gorge" and hope the Columbia Gorge is good. Our best advice is to do what we do and look at the weather and roads each day as you plan how to get there. Look at which mountain passes are highest and consider driving further than you would need too. We lay out our options each morning and night - don't drive too early so the roads have a chance to get cleared and/or melt. There are some potentially bad roads whichever way you go from Chilliwack to CO -- but I'd stick to as many freeways as I could. My husband and I will try to think about this a bit more. It would be good to have some options - such as storing it someplace if the weather goes crazy. Good luck to you!!
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IF you're planning to take I-5 to Portland and then east on I-84, PLEASE keep an eye on the weather: https://tripcheck.com/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #4

Thanks! I was looking at that route and then continuing on 84 but have heard some horror stories about the drive.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
Thanks! I was looking at that route and then continuing on 84 but have heard some horror stories about the drive.
My husband and I - who travel a lot through all of that area cannot come up with anything other than watching the weather and being ready to change plans. We tossed around which of those many Mountain passes (or the Columbia Gorge) CAN be worse - they are all bad at times. They are all over 6000 feet. This weekend we are getting up to 2 feet of snow in our Mountains out of Bend OR. Though the weather varies a lot. We think what would work - though be a long way -- is to take I-5 to Los Angeles (seriously) and then go over the pass that is by San Bernardino - head across AZ, NM and then go N into CO. So, either you find a decent weather pattern that gets you over up North - on one of your approximately 3 options - or you head South. Staying safe is paramount and you know you are planning to travel during a time that might be very bad. We put our Escape away for the winter. I am sure you have contemplated leaving it until March or so? March often allows passage out of these Mountains. Of course that big Southern loop would be long and it might get bad weather also.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I've used I-90/82/84, with the I-90 portion in a snowstorm (steadfastly followed the semi's tail lights in front of me), and the other routes in rain and wind. My choice, weather permitting, is: get over the Cascades as soon as possible, so: First choice: I-90; Second choice: I-84 through the Columbia Gorge.

As Donna says, check w/tripcheck. You may have to wait for a weather window. Once you're east of the Cascade mts., I-84 takes you home, with weather similar to what you're familiar with in W. Colorado.

I would not aim for So. Calif, unless it's an intermediate destination, because you'll have to deal with weather on Siskiyou Summit-4310 ft. (I-5 at OR/CA border) and Tejon Pass-4144 ft.(I-5, 100 mi. north of Los Angeles).(Yes, we get snow in Ventura County: Wed. - snow down to 5000 ft. is possible, so Tejon is just under it)

FYI: you must have chains in your possession in Oregon in winter.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
How about Seattle, Yakima, Boise, Ogden to Cheyenne or Provo and East on 40.

Assume you will run into snow and ice and provision accordingly. Plan for worse and hope for best. Blankets and water in your tow vehicle and fully charged cell phone at all times..
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #8

Thanks for the route advice!
Old 11-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
This time of year, the longer you are on the road, the more likely you are going to run into weather somewhere (hard to know where). So, I wouldn't gamble on a longer route requiring more time on the road, as a way of avoiding the weather. I would (1) stick to the interstates, (2) make sure I had the flexibility in my schedule that a couple of days of weather delay wasn't the end of the world, and (3) pack for a cold weather camping trip.

A guy in your situation probably should have ordered the spray insulation undercoat as an option and ought to take delivery with the propane tanks full.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
We were going to do the same trip to pick up our 5.0 same time and we live in South Western CO. We contemplated having Escape store it until spring but we really want it for a camping trip in Utah in late March. If you have to make the trip this time of year you really need more time. I don't know where you live maybe it's North Western CO so not as far as it is for us. I would consider it four days of driving under the best road conditions especialy with towing a trailer on the return. If you can get a couple more days for the trip that would make it much more doable.

Best of luck and be safe
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #11

Totally agree and I did get the things you mentioned.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:19 AM   #12

I am in the Grand Valley. I actually have 5 days for the drive home. Longer if absolutely necessary. I was hoping 3-4 days would get it done but I do have a cushion if needed. I also have a camping trip planned for Feb so I didn’t want to wait.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Colorado bound

Virgil,
We picked up in early November 2014. It was an early winter and we hugged the West Coast, then came across I-10. I applaud your plan.

I would consider traveling with Dan/Daphne if you can work it out. At a minimum, try to exchange phone numbers, so whoever is in the lead can report back to the other. Also it never hurts to have someone to ask how something works.

Take several gallons of jug water, in case you choose not to have water in the tank. Even with no fresh water in your main tank, you could still use the toilet with a little jug water. The black tank is within the “basement”.

Have ETI try out your furnace with you to make sure it works normally. Discuss with them the pro’s and con’s of pulling with the furnace on low—like 50 F. It’s controversial, but some do that.

Good luck and those of us who read every day would enjoy hearing your progress.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21
Brr. My pickup is March 13. Is it going to be freezing in Chilliwack, then too?
Old 11-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you go here:

Daily Data Report for March 2017 - Climate - Environment and Climate Change Canada

you can see March 2017 weather data.
You'll have to convert C to F.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 9.07.47 AM.png  
Old 11-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
Brr. My pickup is March 13. Is it going to be freezing in Chilliwack, then too?
Whatever it is it's going to be way warmer than Indiana. Freezing, pretty big not likely on that. But hey, these days never say never. But monitor the forecasts a couple of weeks ahead to be sure nothing unusual is happening.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote