Truck Camper vs Escape 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
I think the 5er can handle moderately smooth dirt roads.
Jim seemed to do fine in Baja on moderately smooth roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I want a motor vehicle that can be used without having to break camp. When I want to go see the sights, I don't want to haul everything with me and then need to turn around and setup camp at the end of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

For me, and others too, I much prefer the ability to quickly disconnect and head out with the tow vehicle, then come back to a nicely set up trailer.
Weather turned bad on Tues. so we left our trailer at Lac Le Jeune Park and did two large circuits, one to the West and one to the East including 5 Provincial Parks and 6 Forest Service sites. We made notes on the best sites etc. for future reference. We could have found a site at anyone of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
So what kind of road are you prepared to drive on? Most of the time the 5.0TA will be fine but deep ruts and swerving to miss big rocks. No!

Followed Jim on the infamous unfinished Mex. 5 and he seemed to handle that situation quite well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
there are a heck of a lot of small and undeveloped campsites (usually next to incredible, remote lakes) where you either can't get a trailer into them, or trailers are outright prohibited.
Guides to campgrounds at parks and forest service sites usually indicate the type of vehicle the road in is suited for. Sometimes the indication is 4x4 but that could include roads where even 4x4s might have to use a winch.
I've never seen a blanket restriction on trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
No problem selling a 5.0TA for as much or close to what you paid for it if things simply didn't work out.
That really is the bottom line. Lots of folks do lots of research but then for various reasons end up putting the unit on the market barely used. In the end, you won't know for sure that you've made the right decision until you've tried it for awhile.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2120052_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
My concern with rough roads is that they are usually narrow roads - what happens when you meet another rig, possibly also towing? What if the road dead ends? With my 12' tent trailer, I have jack-knifed it into a wide spot, uncoupled, done a 17 point turn to get pointed in the other direction, hooked up again, and gone back the way I came. With a 21' trailer, that gets considerably harder. (I obviously don't always scout where I am going, and sometimes pick the wrong road. Don't ask Mary to tell stories, she has too many of them.)
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Campsite Gone

When we went away for the day with our truck and camper, we came back to find someone else set up in our paid-for campsite. Never happens with the trailer.
Veewee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veewee67 View Post
When we went away for the day with our truck and camper, we came back to find someone else set up in our paid-for campsite. Never happens with the trailer.
So how did that end? Did you show them your site confirmation and tell them to hit the road?
Old 07-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
I will probably use Florida as a winter home base but I intend to travel Canada, Alaska, Baja and much of the continental US, (mostly west of Mississippi river).
For use as a winter home, 5.0 TA with a F150 is 100x better. When you stay in one spot, then dropping the trailer on your campsite and using your F150 to explore is so much better.

A camper is better when you are constantly moving, like every day a new destination.

The floorplan of the 5.0 basically gives you two separate rooms.

Years ago I had a bigger fifth wheel with a 1 ton dually. Running errands in the dually was a PITA. Parking, manuvering, everything was more work. We moved to Atlanta and my wife had to use the dually as her daily driver for a couple of months. She was not happy!

And fuel economy wise, hands down an F150 with an EB motor will get great mileage.

Finally, size matters. 20 feet of living space versus 10 or 11...
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Quote:
So how did that end? Did you show them your site confirmation and tell them to hit the road?
They had a tent all set up and little kids so we went to the park office and took a different site. The interlopers said they thought we’d left. They weren’t dishonest enough (or bright enough) to remove our receipt from the campsite post. Park staff asked if we wanted to make them move, but it was already late evening and we could set up much quicker.
Veewee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veewee67 View Post
Never say never: at Seal Rock S.P. in WA we left our trailer while we went to Port Townsend for a few hours. We returned around 3 PM to find someone had parked in front of our 21 and had set up a tent! Camp Host told them to leave,- they refused and said to "call Law Enforcement". They knew what they were doing as they probably had done it before. Ranger didn't want to come out and when he did all he would do is to declare we could both stay there. Plenty of empty sites, yet this was a prime view site. Unbelievable- we left and found a closed group site up the road and stayed there.

Just one of many reasons we disperse camp whenever possible. Last trip recently was almost 4 weeks and stayed 4 nights in campgrounds.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:24 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Castle doctrine comes to mind.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Never say never: at Seal Rock S.P. in WA we left our trailer while we went to Port Townsend for a few hours. We returned around 3 PM to find someone had parked in front of our 21 and had set up a tent! Camp Host told them to leave,- they refused and said to "call Law Enforcement". They knew what they were doing as they probably had done it before. Ranger didn't want to come out and when he did all he would do is to declare we could both stay there.
That's when I'd wish I had a really, really noisy diesel. I get up 3-4am
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Never say never: at Seal Rock S.P. in WA we left our trailer while we went to Port Townsend for a few hours. We returned around 3 PM to find someone had parked in front of our 21 and had set up a tent! Camp Host told them to leave,- they refused and said to "call Law Enforcement". They knew what they were doing as they probably had done it before. Ranger didn't want to come out and when he did all he would do is to declare we could both stay there. Plenty of empty sites, yet this was a prime view site. Unbelievable- we left and found a closed group site up the road and stayed there.
Wow. Not sure I would have handled it the same way. I certainly would have expected more out of the Ranger if I was confirmed on that site. Now this person thinks they can do this whenever they want someone else’s site.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:04 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Wow. Not sure I would have handled it the same way. I certainly would have expected more out of the Ranger if I was confirmed on that site. Now this person thinks they can do this whenever they want someone else’s site.
I probably would have done something stupid, like parking my truck on top of the tent.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:46 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Just one of many reasons we disperse camp whenever possible. Last trip recently was almost 4 weeks and stayed 4 nights in campgrounds.
Might be your Ca plates Ross . I think you handled the situation . Talking to my neighbor who sister lives in Colorado told her better not come up right now the residents are vandalizing RV ‘s from out of state . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #33

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Yeah, that interloper was a prospector's pack animal (if you get the drift). But what's worse is, he was teaching his brats by example, and they are likely to grow up and be just like their jack!
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Is it a crime to threaten a tent with by carelessly aiming the end of a black tank dump hose at it? Just curious...................

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #35

Trailer: 1996 Lance 480
Slide in truck camper <> 5th wheel or tow behind.

I've had all 3 types of RV. Living in each for extended periods of time. Years for the 5th wheel. 3-4 months at a time with the slide-in. The pull behinds were either used for month long vacations or as a base at an off the beaten path location. We use our Lance slide-in now for long excursions now.
Much is to be said of the advantages of all 3 varieties. We refitted our Lance hydraulic jacks with the Stable-lift support system. Stable Lift - camper jacks, camper jack, electric camper jack, electronic camper lift, truck camper, truck campers, atwood camper jacks, barker camper jacks, norco camper jacks, fulton camper jacks, titan camper jacks, hijacker camper jacks
This is a great product. We can drop the camper in a matter of less than 10 minutes. Loading up again is even quicker. As the name states it's very stable when on the ground.
Granted it looks like the remnant of a playground accident. The base has never been an issue when using two track roads. Many of which were exhaust deep sand.
Yaaintdeadyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Quote:

Did you both get participation trophies?
Old 07-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Never heard the length restriction before and I have 53 parks under my belt.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote