True 4 season composite trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
True 4 season composite trailer

This subject comes up all the time and I spotted this today which may fit the bill for some. It's pretty basic but does have a fridge and heat for $37K USD. They claim R12 insulated with an interior fresh water tank. In the quoted thread I commented that they need to include a cooktop because I don't see that. No shower because it's tiny.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...railer.226677/

Picture is lifted from the thread. They haven't updated their website yet.

I have no association with the company, but people are always asking for true 4-season capabilities so here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer20.jpg  
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Seems like a lot of seams.
Anyway, if you cut a hole in that counter, you could do food prep and scrape the scraps into the hole, dropping into the toilet. Efficient.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 4.10.46 PM.jpg  
Old 07-23-2021, 11:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
I love how the write-up suggests you take it to South America, conjuring up images of the Touching the Void sort of crazy adventure lifestyle.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Here's the manufacturer's web site:
Total Composites: Travel Trailers
They appear to offer a $30K CDN shell, or the $47K CDN complete trailer featured in the article (which seems to be a prototype). Their main business appears to be the truck slide-in campers and custom expedition camper bodies.

It's not moulded composite, so it's pretty far from something like an Escape, but for someone wanting to avoid wood in their RV shell, it looks like a viable solution.

I wouldn't worry about the seams from a leakage standpoint - they're bonded together, so they won't be a problem. As with moulded fiberglass trailers, leaks will come from windows, vents, etc.

To me, the most attractive things about Total Composites are that:
  • they'll cut panels for whatever custom shape the buyer wants, and
  • the corners are joined by fiberglass pultrusions (not aluminum) so there is minimal thermal bridging (interruption of the insulation).
There are stainless steel corner caps, but the edges of the panels are joined by fiberglass, not metal.

While the custom panel sets are intended for truck-mounted expedition campers, I don't see why a customer couldn't order a set for a travel trailer of their desired dimensions.

With a box body like this, I would want a moulded fiberglass fairing on the front to fix the aerodynamics. The tongue is so long on this example that it seems like they were allowing space for that.

I ran across this company before when looking for RV windows. They don't make those, but their online store (Expedition Upfitter) offers a range of components that they use to build the complete campers, which might be useful for any RV owner's projects.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
I love how the write-up suggests you take it to South America, conjuring up images of the Touching the Void sort of crazy adventure lifestyle.
It seems like a weird choice of continent to me. Expedition campers are more frequently associated with Africa, and other extreme off-road camping is often in Australia. True, you can't drive from Canada or the U.S. to those other continents, but you can't drive to South America, either.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote