trying to decide on a 21'escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #1

Trailer: coming
trying to decide on a 21'escape?

Hi, We are between a Bigfoot and the escape. What we are concerned about is the insulation difference between the two. We dry camp 95% of the time in Utah, Arizona in March to June ,Then all over in B.C. Coming from a Okangon which had the reflective solar windows, well insulated, which we found stayed fairly cool down south. We are trying to figure out if the Escape will stay cool enough for us for Dry camping with solar for fans? Gail
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've dry camped in 100F weather with my extra-insulated Escape 21 (foam underside, double pane windows+extra shell insulation package), with zero shade other than what I brought, it was quite tolerable. Now, this was dry western heat, not the nasty humid east coast/deep south stuff. I drank lots and lots of icewater, filling my 32 oz hydroflash 2-3 times a day with ice and fresh water.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I would think when answering your question a lot has to do with what temperatures you find comfortable / acceptable . For me any time the temps get in the 70 degree range it’s too hot for my liking and we run the A/C . We have the thermal windows , extra wall insulation and the insulated floor and it is an improvement over our Casita but when the outside temps climb into the 80’s or 90’s with no A/C the insulation is not going to keep you cool IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Site Team

that is entirely dependent on humidity. 70s with low RH is very pleasant. 70s with high RH is muggy.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Hi, We are between a Bigfoot and the escape. What we are concerned about is the insulation difference between the two. We dry camp 95% of the time in Utah, Arizona in March to June ,Then all over in B.C. Coming from a Okangon which had the reflective solar windows, well insulated, which we found stayed fairly cool down south. We are trying to figure out if the Escape will stay cool enough for us for Dry camping with solar for fans? Gail
We found that in the BC Summer, our Escape 17 was fine without AC but with the Maax Fan running, which provides very effective air circulation. I think that by the end of June, everything down south would be pretty hot, although at least the deserts do cool down at nights and the Maax Fan is pretty effective.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
that is entirely dependent on humidity. 70s with low RH is very pleasant. 70s with high RH is muggy.
Everyone is different, but the psychrometric chart with human thermal comfort zone outlined tells a good story. If most of your camping is predictable and lands in the comfort zone or to the left you are probably ok with a MaxxFan and furnace. If your camping is in conditions out to the right of the comfort zone you most likely will appreciate having A/C. Unfortunately too much of my camping lands in “hot and humid” because the kids are out of school.
Attached Thumbnails
9778834A-F295-470A-B16E-6F19DC0E609C.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
Hi Gail, we have a 21 and have been in Arizona till the end of Feb and never needed the A/C though we had full hook ups. This summer in BC I think we used it once to cool down the trailer after having it locked up all day. The Max Fan works well at cooling things down once the sun goes down.
We have thermal windows with extra insulation and the underside is insulated as well.
Not sure about the R value in a Bigfoot compared to an Escape but they are heavy compared to the Escape.
Hope this helps.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #8
Site Team

huh, thats a pretty narrow comfort zone. I'm fine down to about 55f long as I have a sweater or fleece, and up to about 85F as long as there's shade and the RH is low and I've got plenty of liquids.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #9

Trailer: coming
Whoa, You guys are great. Thanks for the replies. So what I'm reading that in a dry climate like Utah, if it;s up to a 100 f outside and we keep all the windows closed and blinds down the trailer will warm up to 70-80 f in a day? As we are usually out hiking or biking all day and return back at dinner, the trailer be bearable. The Bigfoot trailers have 1.5" thick insulation everywhere. Which we realize is way more than the Escape, but do we need it to go without AC. As we have done so with our old trailer that had about the same insulation. Thanks for your help Gail
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Whoa, You guys are great. Thanks for the replies. So what I'm reading that in a dry climate like Utah, if it;s up to a 100 f outside and we keep all the windows closed and blinds down the trailer will warm up to 70-80 f in a day? As we are usually out hiking or biking all day and return back at dinner, the trailer be bearable. The Bigfoot trailers have 1.5" thick insulation everywhere. Which we realize is way more than the Escape, but do we need it to go without AC. As we have done so with our old trailer that had about the same insulation. Thanks for your help Gail
We have done fairly extensive camping in the deserts of Utah and Texas with our fully insulated, spray foam and double pane windows, Escape 21. I have a max/min thermometer for both inside and outside and find that we drop to within 10 degrees of the outside temp at night, and during the day will rise to within 10 degrees of the maximum. Again, this is desert camping with no shade to speak of. Our experiences are pushing us to strongly consider adding air conditioning by next summer! Cold is easier to deal with using a small space heater and electric mattress pads, and occasionally the built in furnace just before bed or when the alarm boots us out of bed and we need a fast warm-up.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
huh, thats a pretty narrow comfort zone. I'm fine down to about 55f long as I have a sweater or fleece, and up to about 85F as long as there's shade and the RH is low and I've got plenty of liquids.
It’s subjective and based on a set of specific conditions. You can of course widen the comfort zone by changing parameters. With this chart you’ll notice it widens to the left with more clothing and widens to the right with a lower radiant temperature which are exactly what you have described. At some point though you need heat and A/C in a trailer to be comfortable. Not to survive, but to be comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
418E2FD2-C475-4A6B-AA3C-1F8099C17024.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote