Under bed storage in the 21'? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #1

Trailer: None
Under bed storage in the 21'?

Seeing the pix that Jon posted on the 21' prototype build got me thinking about this. I've seen bits and pieces about some tanks stored under the bed in the new 21' but I am wondering if there is any storage still left. Seems like a waste of storage space if there is and it cannot be accessed. I've seen some trailers where you can lift the bed platform, at least on one side to access some storage. There is quite a bit of under bed storage on the 19'.

Anyone know?

Rosemary

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
We just went to the factory last week and there is storage under the bed. There is an access door under the bed and also apparently an outside access hatch. They are visible on the website pictures I am not sure how much storage there is - there was so much information to take in!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
On another note the 21 also has a vertical steel bar extending up from the countertop which I found very nice for stability entering and exiting the trailer. There is of course an exterior grab bar. Anyone with neuromuscular/balance issues will appreciate this!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamstress View Post
Seeing the pix that Jon posted on the 21' prototype build got me thinking about this. I've seen bits and pieces about some tanks stored under the bed in the new 21' but I am wondering if there is any storage still left. Seems like a waste of storage space if there is and it cannot be accessed. I've seen some trailers where you can lift the bed platform, at least on one side to access some storage. There is quite a bit of under bed storage on the 19'.

Anyone know?

Rosemary
I've seen those lifts for the bed in a RB 25' Bigfoot... it was also a walk-around, which the Escape 21' is not. After you used the lift... you'd need to step INSIDE the box to grab anything up at the front. I think drawer slides may be a better idea. There's a thread here where owners have done that on the 19 footers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
It looked like ample storage under the bed accessed from outside in the unit Tammy & Reace took on holidays.
Only about a foot of the black tank intruding into the center front and the hot water tank took up a foot or so at the back of the compartment. On that unit there was a storage compartment accessible from inside at the foot of the bed behind the water heater.
We're going up to Escape tomorrow...I'll try to remember to get a picture.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Under bed storage on the 21

Actually there are three standard accesses to the under bed storage. First is an outside access hatch, drivers side forward of the water heater. Second is an access on the aft part of the bed foundation. This one is a door that will open into the passageway and provides access length-wise under the bed. Third is the lift up that you see on many other trailers. It gives access to the area (under the bed) between the bathroom door and the short night stand. On top of that we are adding another access door on the bathroom side of the bed foundation. My wife has a plan for that one but everyone, including myself, will have to wait on that one. Overall I'd say that you'll have pretty good access to the storage available under the bed.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Tom
Thank you for that clarification. I have not seen a photo of that second access door, the "aft part of the bed foundation". It appeared to me in one photo (poor angle) that that access door faced the entrance door or "on the bathroom side of the bed foundation". I believe this photo, courtesy of Escape and Jon Vermilye, was of the demo unit used by Tammy and Reace.

Which door is better? Sound like your wife says both. The bathroom side door would make it easier to insert a longer item under the bed without taking it inside and reversing it, but the aft access door probably allows for a longer item.

Any idea of the size of the access doors? Will they have a bottom frame or be flush to the floor?

Based on the line-up that cpaharley provided, you appear to be at the front of the line. Keep your camera and tape measure handy.
Attached Thumbnails
escape21-21.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The exterior hatch is 8"x13" and the interior hatch is 13" x 13" and is located where the vent hole in the above picture is, towards the left. Reace did not want to install a door on the angle as it took up too much space. These vent holes no longer exist as the heater is now in the rear of the trailer. That is why I'm installing an additional electric outlet on that corner piece. In addition the floor under the bed is flat where in the 19' you lost about 2" of height due to the frame/tank configuration causing a ledge under the bed. That is not in the 21' model.
That other space where an opening is being contemplated by TAFrazer under the bed, facing the bath, is where I'm installing a supplemental 1000w electric heater. I anticipate a cool front of the trailer and bath area with the heat in the rear. This location is ideal to blow heat into the bath and off the walls and back to the bed. Thus the need for electric in that area. Attached pictures show the same unit I installed in my Escape 19', kept the trailer cozy without using the furnace.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0407.JPG   DSCN0505.JPG  
Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Jim, I am considering installing a 120V heater too, especially if I start to use campgrounds more. I was planning to put mine right under the furnace in the 'hallway'. I measured and it will fit okay. Was there a reason you did not put it there?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #10

redundancy, you already have a heater in that location, installing one up front evens out the heat in the 19. In addition having access to the rear for wiring and adding an on/off switch was easy under the dinette.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't see ever used both at the same time. Either one alone will provide us with adequate heat. Besides, I use under the dinette seats for storage, plus my batteries are on the passenger side. I was just thinking of keeping it centralized. Besides, all the power connections are there, I would have to fish in a cable in any other location. I would not use an on-off switch, but instead use a line voltage thermostat (that could be switched off) mounted right by the existing one.

Not sure which one you used Jim, I know you did tell us. This is the installation instructions for the one I plan to use, is yours the same?
http://www.morelectricheating.com/Cu...structions.pdf
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #12

Here is the one I used and you can add a switch between both heat settings
Amazon.com: Broan Model 170 Wall Heater, 500/1000 Watt 120 VAC, White Painted Grille: Home Improvement
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21 "BAG END"
My Sweetie and I have our Escape 21 on order for a late January 2014 delivery. We thank all of you who've shared your knowledge and experience. The information you've provide had been a wonderful resource for our decision making process.

We visited Reace and Tammy in Chilliwack a week ago and as expected were blown away with their business model, commitment to customer satisfaction and dedication to providing a first class product. We will be very proud to carry the Escape banner as we travel North America

Here's a few images from the model 21. Enjoy!

Under bed access is via driver side hatch, by lifting mattress and by interior access hatch.

Battery is under starboard side dinette. Converter/charger and furnace are under port side dinette.

Merritt
Attached Thumbnails
H2O heater under bed.jpg   Underbed storage.jpg   Under bed access.JPG   Starbord dinette.jpg   Port dinette.jpg  

MerrittP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #14

Thanks Merritt! Our hatch date is 1/28 and we were at the factory last week but I didn't focus on the under bed storage and where things are located like tanks and batteries. So we appreciate your pictures
Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #15

Those are awesome pics thanx for sharing , if you have anymore by all means post them up for us , muchly appreciated cheers Carol
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Thank Merritt. Really helpful pictures!
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #17

Thanks Merritt,
Now if we can just get an idea of the storage options between the bath and door area, I'll be able to sleep better at night.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Storage between bathroom and Entrance door

I received two pictures from Reace of the storage he's offering. I'll try to post the pictures if I can figure out how to do it. There are 4 storage boxes mounted behind a wood face that extends from the floor to near the ceiling . They measure 9x9x6 each with a 3" lip.

These storage boxes are in black, but the installed ones will be in white.
Attached Thumbnails
002.JPG   005.JPG  
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #19

Nice, I like that and it looks like if you wanted you could attach a couple of coat hooks along the far side if needed. Wow, I'm really excited now, sort of liking the black though, wonder why it will be white? Perfect for towels, wash clothes, toilet tissue and other toiletries.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #20

It appears that the upper boxes are deeper and they get shallower as you go down due to the wall curvature. Still, another fine job from Escape Industries.