Under trailer insulation spray - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Under trailer insulation spray

Can anyone give me some insight on the optional insulation spray for under the trailer. Ordered new 5.0TA, and am unsure about that option. Has anyone had any problems with the durability of the spray, and does it also protect the frame from corrosion. Presently live in South Florida, but will be heading to the NW after retirement from Fire Department in 2 years. Camper completion in Oct. 2014. Thanks for any help.
Mark in Hobe Sound
Weldingmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I am also very interested in this option as I will be using the trailer in early spring and late fall. After you order, how much time do you have to change things?
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
I added the spray insulation to my 21, but only just took delivery so I can't comment on its durability or effectiveness yet.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We plan on camping sometimes when the nights drop to freezing so opted for all the available insulation. I cannot speak to it's longevity as we pick our trailer up next month.

As for changes, Escape notifies you 3 months before your completion date that you've got 2 weeks to submit your build sheet. Then about a month later you get a notice that your trailer will start production in 2 weeks. This is the last opportunity for changes. Once the trailer enters production, it may be too late to make changes, and if they are willing to make the changes, there will be an additional $200 change order fee every time a change is made to the options sheet.

Hope this helps.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We are planning to have insulation on our 17b due this Oct.

I've read various opinions on Forum threads so if u do some searches u should be able to find info. On top of extending the camping season and your camping range, I've read that the insulation also has soundproofing and then resale benefits.

Like all these options I suppose the anticipated end use and cost become the determining factors

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:26 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I am also very interested in this option as I will be using the trailer in early spring and late fall. After you order, how much time do you have to change things?
Got an email from ETI, want's my final build sheet by Apr 15th, I have a June 17th completion date making it 9 weeks before completion.

Weldingmedic
I don't know exactly when the foam came on the scene, but I don't think it's been around long enough to know about it's longevity. On my stick trailer, the frame just started to show some surface rust on it last year, making it 7 years old at the time. I think the foams only been around for a few years. One would think it would keep water from getting to the frame. Of course with the foam in the way, you'd never see the rust anyway.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Thanks for all the help again. I did find a helpful thread on the subject and will probably have ETI spray the bottom. Can't hurt and will probably help, especially since I have never seen snow and we plan on doing all our camping In the great white north. I believe the pipes and tanks will greatly benefit when the cold creeps up out if the ground.
Weldingmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have the spray insulation on our 17b, which is two years old in June. We haven't had any problems with it. We have been comfortable camping in temps as low as 20 F. Since we have never had a trailer without insulation, I can't compare. We will get insulation on our 21 to be picked up in Sept.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
You might ask Tami about the spray insulation. It's the last thing they do to the trailer, it doesn't affect anything else, and so, I don't think there's an added fee for being late with the addition. We didn't get it, but were told by Tami that it can be added at any time, for the same cost as it would have been during the build. I also believe that the spray is only applied between the frame rails. If it covered the complete bottom, the drain holes would be covered. Someone who has the spray can verify weather or not this statement is true.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
We had it added after factory roll out & before we picked it up.
I had decided against it on the initial build, but changed my mind after reading the Infrared Images thread - ( I need to stay away from here! )
http://http://www.escapeforum.org/fo...ages-3394.html
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The foam covers the entire trailer underneath, including frame, from front to rear out to the sides up to the trunnions where your seep holes are. They are spray painting it black now to make it less noticeable. It adds about 200 lbs I believe to the weight of the trailer. It will make your floors feel warmer and it does protect the undercarriage.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #12

Trailer: none
so seep holes are still there, uncovered, and functional?
cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
I was thinking Escapes had a two layer floor with an air layer between? Is this not the case? Thought that was a cold weather advantage over most other fiberglass trailers?
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #14

Looking into this more it seems the entire underside does look like white fiberglass gelcoat. But it's unclear if the wood floor is bonded directly to the that exterior fiberglass or sits above it with an air gap. I've stayed comfy and warm in my Scamp with a simple plywood floor down to -7F with a small 1500 watt heater. Granted the heater was on more or less constantly, to keep the temp at the thermostat setting of 72F. The floor was darn chilly. A small fan really helps mix the air up, to lessen the difference in temps floor to ceiling.

If there's an air gap of any significant size under the wood floor above the fiberglass outer layer, I'd imagine that would help considerably with floor temps. But I'm just speculating. Never even been in an escape, much less tested it's cold weather capabilities.

Anyone know more about the layering, spacing of the floor/subfloor?

The insulation sounds like a good idea, better insulated = more better. But may not be worth the added weight in all instances. Especially if there is an air gap that already provides better insulation than other eggs. Does it really add 200lbs? Is that your guestimate CpaH? Or is that what Escape said? Sounds like a whole lot of insulation!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargofool View Post
so seep holes are still there, uncovered, and functional?
That is correct
Old 03-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I was thinking Escapes had a two layer floor with an air layer between? Is this not the case? Thought that was a cold weather advantage over most other fiberglass trailers?
That is not correct, it is a single hull design. The wood floor is encapsulated in resin and is raised, and around the perimeter are trunnions made to capture any water or condensation and there are several weep holes under these trunnions to allow water removal. External fresh and grey water tanks are attached to the exterior of the shell. Then the spray foam seals all around the exterior floor/tank area from water and air. You should really inspect one near you to get an idea of the the quality that goes into this product.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #17

Jim, there is no FG layer under the plywood?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Jim, there is no FG layer under the plywood?
Yes, the fiberglass shell covers the entire bottom of the trailer, the wood floor is inside that shell, encased in resin, around which is a small channel, or trunnion, that is lower than the floor, around the perimeter.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, the fiberglass shell covers the entire bottom of the trailer, the wood floor is inside that shell, encased in resin, around which is a small channel, or trunnion, that is lower than the floor, around the perimeter.
Got worried there for a second. Thanks
Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #20

Thanks for the input!

Quote:
The wood floor is encapsulated in resin and is raised,
What do you mean by "raised"?

Quote:
You should really inspect one near you to get an idea of the the quality that goes into this product.
I am an hour or so from the factory and certainly plan to visit this spring once they start opening on Saturdays! I have no doubt of the quality. I love my Scamp, but during my restore/customization I was struck over and over the opportunities they missed to make it much better without costing much more. The floor being extremely cheap OSB that starts swelling and falling apart as soon as it gets wet and it does get wet. The carpet was glued to that to make sure there was no quick way to get moisture off the floor! What where they thinking?! I pulled off all the carpet and sealed the wood with thick polyurethane paint. That seems a good improvement. Escape really seems to have a great design and top notch attention to details.

I'd like to order a custom new one, but my budget probably means I'll be keeping a good eye out for used 17Bs. May consider adding the undercoat if Escape can put it on a complete trailer. But I do want a trailer with a ready to roll weight of under 3000lbs, so maybe not if it's heavy.