Upgrades & resale - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #1

Trailer: Happier Camper 2017/Escape 21NE 2022
Upgrades & resale

Currently, I have on-order a 21NE that should be completed in 3/22. I am thinking about what upgrades/accessories I want to order and would love some input on a couple of possible upgrades: AC & lithium batteries. I definitely plan to get solar (which I have on my current Happier Camper) but I ambivalent about lithium vs regular batteries. I plan to do some camping without shore power (i live in NM and many of the state parks have no services: part of the pull to change campers) so I want reliable power. In my current camper, I have the Maxxfan & have been very happy with that. I plan to do longer trips (I will be working forever so I want to take more time off) and might consider taking a cat. So AC is maybe a good option. Primarily, I want opinions on whether having AC & lithium batteries might improve resale or whether I should just decide on what will make me most comfortable. Recommendations appreciated.
dustylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
AC will definitely improve resale, a very high percentage of Escapes have it and it seems to be something the majority of buyers want. Lithium batteries are relatively new so there's not much track record as far as resale - but of course, right now any used Escape sells pretty much immediately.

If you don't know that you will have heavy electrical needs that would require lithium, the standard dual 6 volts with one solar panel will likely cover all your electricity requirements - we camp mostly in the southwest and have found that to be the case.

And as for bringing your cat along - plenty of us travel with cats, the more the merrier!
Attached Thumbnails
Table 08.jpg  
Old 07-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I think you should go with what makes you comfortable.

Trying to out guess what people want for resale is dicey. Having said that I am sure AC would be a must for most people buying a nice trailer like that in your area. I would have a different recommendation if you lived in Alaska.

Of course the better batteries are not going to run your AC. People for years have had descent power from twin 6 volt batteries and solar. I am not sure you are going to see a big cash back on resale with lithium. At the moment almost any Escape will sell.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
For me the raison d'etre of my RV is enjoying the experiences it provides me while I use it; the payback is in the here-and-now, however long or short term that may be.

I shop / equip it accordingly (both OE and after-purchase mods / additions), anticipation of resale has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps if I knew I were constrained to buying a 'starter rig' for the short-term with every intention of flipping it to 'move up' when financially able my attitude would be different, but that's not the case for me. YMMV.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
My opinions only:

Rooftop AC is plug and play with a standard sized opening and the required electrical there (make sure you ask during the build), so a new owner could pop in their own AC for a modest cost if you don’t feel a need.

ETI’s Lithium option also includes other components to support Lithium batteries such as a Dc-Dc converter to charge the batteries from your tow vehicle.

The main reasons I justify the extra cost of Lithium are personal:
The significantly lighter weight means I can wrangle the batteries fairly easily
I don’t need to worry about checking fluid levels in flooded batteries.
I don’t need to worry about reducing flooded battery life by draining them below 50%
i don’t need to worry about the gases being vented from the flooded batteries
I can store twice the usable energy in the same volume.

So it’s mainly a discipline and comfort thing.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Resale, in general, is not a place where options / upgrades carry over well. I'm speaking in general here for things from RVs to boats to cars to kitchens.

The big exception is not skipping an option that is essentially a requirement in some / most markets. For example, speccing an RV without air conditioning will probably make that RV a 'no sale' across the south. But it might be fine in the Pacific Northwest.

Something like lithium however, is something you should do for yourself and not for a putative second owner. You need batteries. You won't recover the cost of upgrading beyond a pair of 6V flooded most likely.

Again, no battery or just a dinky 12V might equal 'no sale' for a used trailer. But you won't get back your investment going beyond a system that is 'functional' for most buyers.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21ne, airconditioning, lithium batteries, resale