Upsizing or Downsizing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 PM   #1

Upsizing or Downsizing

In trying to determine an ideal size for me,
I wonder if there is a tendency to always trade up in size
for people who have owned several Escapes over the years.

I am speaking of trailers bought both new and those bought used.

I have a feeling it is not as common, to see people move down
to a smaller size in an Escape, once they have owned a large one.

The insight of others is appreciated.

Herb
Herb-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A few have gone down in size, most have gone up. You'll never accurately be able to make a good decision based on someone else's experience. What are YOUR requirements for a trailer? E.g, how many people, pets, beds needed, etc.

What's your tow vehicle and what are the towing specs?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb-in-FL View Post
....I have a feeling it is not as common, to see people move down to a smaller size in an Escape, once they have owned a large one....Herb

Herb,
I think that is an accurate observation. We've been on the Forum over 4 years, and have frequently seen application of the term "2 foot-itus", but with 2 or 3 exceptions, it's always been to the larger size.

In our case, we thought a lot about how we camp, what we do when camping, and what the future may require with the next-generation of family. We picked a 17 (it also just fits beside our driveway), and are satisfied that it met our criteria.

P.S. on the chance that it may be helpful, here's our posting of reasoning behind our choices, and a 1 year later analysis:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ater-8933.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Herb,
I think that is an accurate observation. We've been on the Forum over 4 years, and have frequently seen application of the term "2 foot-itus", but with 2 or 3 exceptions, it's always been to the larger size.

In our case, we thought a lot about how we camp, what we do when camping, and what the future may require with the next-generation of family. We picked a 17 (it also just fits beside our driveway), and are satisfied that it met our criteria.

P.S. on the chance that it may be helpful, here's our posting of reasoning behind our choices, and a 1 year later analysis:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ater-8933.html
Don and Teresa

Thank you for your response and the "one-year later" perspective.

Herb
Old 07-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape
The 15B is a really good floor plan and size for camping. But I have thought about upsizing the frame. Building a new frame that would have a bit of a back deck, front deck, and even a wider footprint. Bike storage, a place for a mini split A/C, equipment for longer boondocking stints. Better suspension. This could also apply to a 17.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA current
Hi there,
We have actually gone up and down although not always in an Escape trailer.
Our initial trailer was a new 2004 Escape 17B with bunk beds for two little girls. As they grew up, we sold the 17B and purchased a 27 ft 5th wheel, Triple E Topaz. After 4 years, we sold that trailer and left the camping scene for a while. We have now purchased a 2018 Escape 5.0 TA.

17 to 27 and back to 21.

Cheers
Fred
Old 07-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Our first Escape was a like new pre-owned 17B; was not aware of the 17A. We quickly got 2'-itis(actually 4) and ordered a 21 as we liked the rear dinette on the 17B yet didn't want to have to convert to a bed daily. With the way we camp I wonder had the first trailer been a 17A would we have really wa nted the 21.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I think your feeling is correct. I’ve been on the forum for 5 years and my gut is more people move up in size.

In our case we were in a 19 and are moving to a 5.0 after 4 years experience. The key for us was the experience gained in 4 years really solidified our requirements. We looked long and hard at other manufacturers and sizes (we actually wanted to go smaller) and the 5.0 was the best for us in terms of what was most important.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
....a place for a mini split A/C
Music to my ears!
Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
In 2013, we purchased our 19' before the 21' had become available. Although the larger size of the 21' would have been welcome, the floor plan of the 21' does not work for me. However, we are considering a move to the 5.0 in a few years when I retire and have more opportunity for travel. In the meantime, 2 years ago we purchased a 15B and currently have two Escapes! Upsizing or downsizing? I guess we are just confused.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Exclamation Upsizing

WE are basically happy Casita 17' owners, but grand children have begun to arive in [seemingly] bunches..our little Casita was dandy for us two, but not so much for 3 or 4. Ergo, we are upsizing. Yesterday we placed our preliminary "build-order" for a 2020 Escape 21...wh we will pick up in April 2020. After this last road trip to a family reunion in NC next week, with a side trip to Norfolk Navy base [to see our son b4 he deploys again we expect him to 'make Chief' this cruise]..we're putting our excellent condition Casita on the market. It has all the bells wnd whistles Casita offered...solar, cable, TV, AC, Hi lift, HD batt etc , ....except no room for the new grand-kids.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
In 2013, we purchased our 19' before the 21' had become available. Although the larger size of the 21' would have been welcome, the floor plan of the 21' does not work for me. However, we are considering a move to the 5.0 in a few years when I retire and have more opportunity for travel. In the meantime, 2 years ago we purchased a 15B and currently have two Escapes! Upsizing or downsizing? I guess we are just confused.
I'd love to get a 15 to go with the 5.0TA, Deb not so much.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I went from a 17B to a 5.0 wanted more space and i like hooking up the 5.0 better then my bumper pull. I also like the feel of towing the double axle 5.0 better. but i think the roundy 17 is really cute...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #14

Thank you Donna.

My current situation and approach, is to identify the size trailer I most favor.
Keep searching for a nice pre-owned one (hopefully in my area)
and then select a tow vehicle that is most appropriate for the trailer.

That is my current plan, since I am not locked into a particular tow vehicle at present.

Herb
Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thank you Donna.

My current situation and approach, is to identify the size trailer I most favor.
Keep searching for a nice pre-owned one (hopefully in my area)
and then select a tow vehicle that is most appropriate for the trailer.

That is my current plan, since I am not locked into a particular tow vehicle at present.

Herb
Lucky you, truly. Lots of people are restricted in size of a trailer due to the limit of their current tow vehicle, and don't want to change that. Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Upsizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Lucky you, truly. Lots of people are restricted in size of a trailer due to the limit of their current tow vehicle, and don't want to change that. Good luck!
WE have 'toured' several E-21s in various campgrounds lately..every one had the same story as we do: upsized to their 21' and still towed it easily with same TV...'midsize' v-6 trucks, full size V6 trucks, even one guy towed easily behind a Toyota 4-Runner.
WE decided to keep our V6 Frontier dbl cab, long bed as our TV..and ordered our new E-21 two days ago...and went thru the Build List yesterday w Linda at ETI.... Should be good to go. One last trip in our 17' Casita next week..and then she goes on the market. The Cassy is a good TT but the grand kids are coming in waves and we needed more space ;-)
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Identifying the right trailer

Quote:
Yours is a good approach. In our case, our search has been iterative - we have learned from our first trailers (2 different floor plan Casitas) and then our Escape 19.

We are downsizing from the E19 (with a bathroom) to a 17A (no bath, but a portable toilet that we will store under the permanent bed).

The great advantage of the E19 for us is the ability to sleep cross-wise more comfortably than in a Casita - the Escape is wider. And we found, ironically, that the way that we camp, we used the Escape bathroom primarily for a hamper and storage. Hence the move to the 17A. I was discussing this with my husband the other day, and we concluded that we could not have moved directly from the Casita (at 17 ft.) to the Escape 17A, because it took us 1.5 years of not fully utilizing the E19 bathroom to move to the 17A.

In addition, we have never fired up a water heater in any trailer that we have owned. We always heat small quantities of water on the stove and use campground showers. And this has been for trips as long as 30 to 54 days so far.

In addition, the shorter length is an advantage. The 17A can be turned around more easily in our driveway, and we look forward to the 500 or so pounds of less weight when towing. We use a Trailer Valet to turn around our trailer, and the Escape 19 has required considerably more wrestling than either 17 Casita.

17A's are pretty rare, so we are ordering one new from ETI. It will be completed in early October 2019. We are getting the features we want... and we can't resist the idea of shiny new gel coat.

If you would like to see Escapes of various sizes, contact Escape sales. They can put you in touch with owners who may live nearby. In addition, attend an Escape rally if you are near one. We planned a vacation to one rally before we had a trailer, and we have learned vast amounts by attending rallies.

Best of luck in your search,

David
Pittsburgh, PA
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Purchased the 19' because of our tow vehicle (2004 Tundra). When we decided that we probably needed a little more room, we ordered the 5.0 and went out and purchased a new 2018 Tundra (had crunched all the numbers prior). When push came to shove, we were uncomfortable with the payload rating of the Tundra in hauling the 5.0 and changed to a 21'. We would have been happy with the 5.0 but we're also very happy with our 21'.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
After a year of full-timing in an Escape 19, we're upsizing to a Bigfoot 25 soon. I definitely don't regret the Escape - it's the right size for the original plan of a 1-year trip. Now that it's become multi-year though, it's just a bit too cramped for two people. The Bigfoot's pretty big jump, but it was the only way to get an increase in storage space plus a dry bath and walk-around queen bed in a molded fiberglass trailer. The extra insulation is a nice bonus, though I'd prefer 12VDC tank heaters in addition to the ducted furnace.

I don't regret the E19, though. We covered a lot of ground, and doing that in something the size of the Bigfoot would have been more difficult and expensive. Being able to fit the trailer and tow vehicle entirely within two parking spots is super convenient, as is being able to get the whole setup through basically any space that's big enough for a 1-ton pickup or large van.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
After a year of full-timing in an Escape 19, we're upsizing to a Bigfoot 25 soon. I definitely don't regret the Escape - it's the right size for the original plan of a 1-year trip. Now that it's become multi-year though, it's just a bit too cramped for two people. The Bigfoot's pretty big jump, but it was the only way to get an increase in storage space plus a dry bath and walk-around queen bed in a molded fiberglass trailer. The extra insulation is a nice bonus, though I'd prefer 12VDC tank heaters in addition to the ducted furnace.

I don't regret the E19, though. We covered a lot of ground, and doing that in something the size of the Bigfoot would have been more difficult and expensive. Being able to fit the trailer and tow vehicle entirely within two parking spots is super convenient, as is being able to get the whole setup through basically any space that's big enough for a 1-ton pickup or large van.
Which Bigfoot floor plan did you choose. ? We have looked at the 25 RQ but right now it’s just a dream . It’s amazing what a few more inches of width can do to improve the layout but
that additional width does not come without its issues .

Good Luck with your new trailer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote