Useless Xmas present - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Nothing but monitoring devices that are listening in and recording private conversations in your home. Not ever going there, and I keep Siri, Cortana, deactivated on all phones, tablets and PC’s.
Like everybody else, Alexa isn't listening to me.
I said I didn't want anything for Xmas.
Apparently I have to subscribe to a streaming service for her to do anything musical.
I could listen to the radio, but I have my Sangean personal digital radio in my pocket, already tuned to my radio station.
Takes less effort to use my iPhone and speaker.
If I got up out of my chair, I could turn on the iPod in its dock and play the same music over the six-speaker Onkyo audio system.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For music at home I have a Sonos setup, which works over our WiFi network. It is controlled from any of our devices. We also subscribe to Spotify, which gives us a monstrous selection of songs. Nice to sit in my chair and control great sounding music in every room from my phone, tablet or laptop.

I am considering bringing a Sonos speaker along in to use in our trailer, using the WiFi setup I am putting in it. Does not work on 12V though, and could be a fair draw on the inverter.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:44 PM   #23

How do you choose a tune, if you can't remember the title? I just scrolled through my library looking for a particular artist and album and then came upon another artist that I hadn't listened to in a while. Selected that instead.
"Alexa, what am I thinking"?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #24

Easy to search by artist, album or genre.

We have listened to a ton of great music since getting Spotify that we would have otherwise never heard of.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-28-2017, 11:51 PM   #25

Aren't iPods pretty much only found in museums now? [emoji38]
Old 12-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #26

My iPod should be in a museum - no Bluetooth to connect to my speaker.
But, Alexa doesn't have a display so you would have to say "Alexa, play a song I heard that was on the Beatles White Album, or maybe it was Rubber Soul". And, then you can wait for her to say she doesn't know the Beatles.
I can just click on Music on my iPhone, click on 'B', find Beatles and the albums and the tunes.
Your Sonos is a wireless speaker controlled by a device.
This Echo is just an attempt to use voice commands to control a device, with no display.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #27

Look for and listen to Christmas Island by Leon Redbone.
It's not too late for this Xmas.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:48 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Asked Alexa to play Harry Belafonte. She has no clue.
I finally told her to shut herself off ( she complied ) and then I connected my iPhone to my Bluetooth speaker and played the music I wanted by selecting the artist or title.
Glenn, you can pair the Echo to play music from your phone via bluetooth. Same music, just controllable by voice instead of touch. It will also pair with a bluetooth speaker.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-s...e-amazon-echo/
Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Glenn, you can pair the Echo to play music from your phone via bluetooth. Same music, just playable by voice instead of touch. It will also pair with a bluetooth speaker.
Techy son-in-law is looking into that. It only makes sense. But, I can't count the number of times I've gone through the library and selected different music than I set out to find.
And, my iPhone is sitting next to me, the Bluetooth speaker is about eight feet away, as is Alexa. Why pair it through Alexa instead of directly?
Old 12-29-2017, 01:21 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
And, my iPhone is sitting next to me, the Bluetooth speaker is about eight feet away, as is Alexa. Why pair it through Alexa instead of directly?
No real advantage, except if you want to tell Alexa to skip, pause, raise or lower volume, etc. And there's also the issue of which speaker sounds better.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:06 AM   #31

The planet is doomed.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:42 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Aren't iPods pretty much only found in museums now? [emoji38]
Please clarify Jim. Are you designating my 5.0TA a museum? Of course my iPod Touch is not the only historically old thing that can sometimes be found within.

I did have to add a module to the Jensen that was being installed by ETI in 2015 to make it Bluetooth capable and to pair with the iPod. I would eliminate the iPod and stream from my phone, but that would deprive Gail from listening to music if I am out walking/talking. She is somewhat “electronically challenged” and would get frustrated trying to pair her phone to the Jensen. So my solution was to pull the museum piece off the shelf and leave it paired whenever we are on the road.

Does the museum designation mean I can charge an entrance fee for potential viewers?
Old 12-29-2017, 07:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Please clarify Jim. Are you designating my 5.0TA a museum? Of course my iPod Touch is not the only historically old thing that can sometimes be found within.

I did have to add a module to the Jensen that was being installed by ETI in 2015 to make it Bluetooth capable and to pair with the iPod. I would eliminate the iPod and stream from my phone, but that would deprive Gail from listening to music if I am out walking/talking. She is somewhat “electronically challenged” and would get frustrated trying to pair her phone to the Jensen. So my solution was to pull the museum piece off the shelf and leave it paired whenever we are on the road.

Does the museum designation mean I can charge an entrance fee for potential viewers?
Just responding to what Apple is doing, which has been eliminating most of their iPods over the last while. That, and pretty much everyone I know has stopped using theirs now, though there are still a few hanging on.

Lisa too is not very good with technology, but I have loaded up her phone with her music, and sync the bluetooth for her in our vehicles and bluetooth stereo components so she can play there at will.

Just like a handheld calculator, all mine have gone to recycling, now multi-tasking that with my phone too.

If you were mummified in your trailer, you might be able to charge a museum fee.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Techy son-in-law is looking into that. It only makes sense. But, I can't count the number of times I've gone through the library and selected different music than I set out to find.
Hi: gbaglo... From what I hoid, having a long distance relationship in your house was next to imposible!!! You're never to far from the fridge.
Alexa... bring me a beer!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:33 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I have a related story: A while back I was using the Kindle app on my Android tablet. I normally buy Kobo ebooks, but this time I bought and read an ebook from Amazon on the Kindle app because I couldn't find it on Kobo. It was only the first or second time I had used the Kindle app to read an ebook. At the time I was listening to classical music for the first time in a long time. The Kindle app started showing ads for classical albums at the bottom of its window.

I have never bought music of any kind online, from Amazon or anyone else that I remember, and I never listen to the various online music services (Spotify, etc). This could not be a coincidence, I thought; the Kindle app has activated the mic in the tablet and is listening to my music.

I emailed the Electronic Frontier Foundation about this and got a response that they have found no evidence of monitoring like this, implying it was a coincidence. I find that hard to believe.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Just tell Siri to do it for you if your iPhone is already paired with the speaker. Maybe you can get Siri and Alexa into a sparing match.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Look for and listen to Christmas Island by Leon Redbone.
It's not too late for this Xmas.
I also found versions by Bob Dylan, Colin James, and Ella Fitzgerald.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have never bought music of any kind online, from Amazon or anyone else that I remember, and I never listen to the various online music services (Spotify, etc). This could not be a coincidence, I thought; the Kindle app has activated the mic in the tablet and is listening to my music.
George Orwell, I believe (1984): "Big brother is watching you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Just tell Siri to do it for you if your iPhone is already paired with the speaker. Maybe you can get Siri and Alexa into a sparing match.
Rolling on the floor with tears in my eyes. Nothing quite like a good cat fight!
Old 12-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I still have 2 buddies who are using the pre-touch iPods (wheel control). That tiny hard drive they had always amazed me, especially that is has lasted for them all these years.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #40

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thanks for the info.

I have a related story: A while back I was using the Kindle app on my Android tablet. I normally buy Kobo ebooks, but this time I bought and read an ebook from Amazon on the Kindle app because I couldn't find it on Kobo. It was only the first or second time I had used the Kindle app to read an ebook. At the time I was listening to classical music for the first time in a long time. The Kindle app started showing ads for classical albums at the bottom of its window.

I emailed the Electronic Frontier Foundation about this and got a response that they have found no evidence of monitoring like this, implying it was a coincidence. I find that hard to believe.
You should see all the contortions needed to completely disable the OK google feature on android phones using the newer Oreo 8.1+ firmware. Some parts like the swipe left to access Google Now are easy to disable but OK google detection requires rooting the phone to completely remove. Otherwise it will keep popping up a request for you to sign back in. I removed it for increased battery life and lowered data usage. Having it always monitoring for its command and recording all data you consume eats into both your data plan and battery life a bit. While it might be great to simply say OK Google send a text for some people I do not send many text so that is useless to me. As are the majority of the other abilities OK Google and Google Now offer. I suspect the Amazon apps are not listening to you instead they are sending your playlist and search command strings to Amazon ( and Google). I've noticed if I search for something afterwards Amazon will add it to suggestions to buy even though I have suggestions turned off. The only way to completely remove the ability to have my life mapped by them would be to never use the Internet.
And no way in hell would I ever own a smart speaker unless it is required.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote