Useless Xmas present - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #101

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... How long do you need to cook one of them "Clay pigeons" to get it tender enough to eat? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Hi Alf
Like a lot of folks, we did not have the money to spend on clay birds and trap shooting on a regular basis. It was a rare treat to go target shooting and then usually just to burn up old, free or “odd ball” ammunition. When we hunted, we cleaned and cooked everything we shot. Wild game was a staple. To that end, there was no dishonor in harvesting doe deer. The old man regularly pointed out that no matter how long you cooked antlers they never became edible. We used to climb up into granaries at night and shine pigeons with a bright light. The next night after school for dinner you could expect a big bowl of pigeon noodle soup. Tasty.
Like a lot of people we have it a lot easier now but I’d give a lot of money to walk into our old
1880’s house and smell that soup and untie my mom’s apron in the back and run like hell.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #102

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... How long do you need to cook one of them "Clay pigeons" to get it tender enough to eat? Alf
They definitely need a long marinate...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #103

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Alf
Like a lot of folks, we did not have the money to spend on clay birds and trap shooting on a regular basis. It was a rare treat to go target shooting and then usually just to burn up old, free or “odd ball” ammunition. When we hunted, we cleaned and cooked everything we shot. Wild game was a staple. To that end, there was no dishonor in harvesting doe deer. The old man regularly pointed out that no matter how long you cooked antlers they never became edible. We used to climb up into granaries at night and shine pigeons with a bright light. The next night after school for dinner you could expect a big bowl of pigeon noodle soup. Tasty.
Like a lot of people we have it a lot easier now but I’d give a lot of money to walk into our old
1880’s house and smell that soup and untie my mom’s apron in the back and run like hell.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... How'd ya plug all the bullet holes in the barn boards?
I wasn't tied to my moms apron strings. As a teen I learned to cook in a restaurant. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #104

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Hi Alf
Iowa Dave
Back when I was around 8 or so I received a BB-gun for Christmas.
Dad took me out showed me how to load it, pump it up and oil it as needed and a basic lesson on how to aim it.
And I was told hunters only shoot what they intend to eat.
A couple days later I saw crows in the trees so I took careful aim and managed to nail one. It was on the ground flopping around and next thing I know my dad was over by it. He picked it up and twisted its neck He then walked up to me and said come on.
OK, I just know I'm about to get my butt beat as we walk over by the pumps. He drops the bird on the railing and pulls out his knife and told me OK now you are going to learn how to clean it.
So I cleaned it and he takes it inside. I'm figuring no way will mom cook it. Lunch time arrives and sitting my my plate is the little fried carcass of the crow. If you have never tried one they are mostly bones and very little meat. And the meat tasted like gamey duck meat. So unlike many of you I have actually eaten crow.
And the lesson I learned. Don't let dad catch you.

Dave were those baby pigeons? Moms side Grandfather would have us climbing in his barns tossing the squabs down. Grandma would clean them and cook them in a big cast iron skillet.
They tasted a lot better than the crow.

That BB gun was used in many wars. I still have a BB in my arm from when a friend with a crosman that was pumped up shot through my trashcan lid shield and into my arm. It hurt like hell but no way were we going to tell any adults. Yeah that was stupid but I imagine I'm not the only one who was in bb or slingshot wars.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #105

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Statue of limitations has long run out so I can tell my stupidest BB gun story. A buddy and I were hanging out under a tree, my BB gun was cocked and loaded, and to empty it before we went inside, I just raised it straight up and pulled the trigger without even glancing up. Out of the tree dropped a dead cardinal - my home state's state bird. I somehow expected to hear the police sirens instantly -( I would have made a terrible criminal.)

As a bird lover now who spends far too much money on birdseed and binoculars, it has to be right up there as one of my most embarrassingly stupid childhood stories... but then I have so many stupid childhood stories I am often surprised I ever survived..

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #106

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sheriff did show up at my house.
Neighbour kids were throwing rocks at a us. We weren't gangs, but we weren't friends. I got hit in the forehead by a fist size rock.
Next day I grabbed my totally worn out BB gun with no stock, went to the kid's house and shot him in the arm from about two feet away.
Sheriff came and told me not to do that again and to get rid of the BB gun. I leaned it on the step and stomped on the barrel, which folded in half.
No regrets for shooting the kid, or for destroying the rifle.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #107

BB guns have to be right up there as one of the main ways most of us got in trouble back when we all had one. Probably good that they are much less common now. I bet there are a lot us aging boomers with BB's either still embedded or had to be dug out.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #108

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sheriff did show up at my house.
Neighbour kids were throwing rocks at a us. We weren't gangs, but we weren't friends. I got hit in the forehead by a fist size rock.
Next day I grabbed my totally worn out BB gun with no stock, went to the kid's house and shot him in the arm from about two feet away.
Sheriff came and told me not to do that again and to get rid of the BB gun. I leaned it on the step and stomped on the barrel, which folded in half.
No regrets for shooting the kid, or for destroying the rifle.
When you think of things done when younger it is amazing we survived unscathed. Take mercury for instance. I'm sure many of us played with it. It was neat to roll around on your hand and such. Now a tiny drop will evacuate a school for days.

A group of us were running around in the Homestead area with our rifles. We lined up beer bottles and shot them. Found an old crusher drum at an abandoned cement plant and stuck our guns inside and fired and the bullets pinged around.

One that today makes me realize just how lucky we were is once we stood on both sides of a canal and someone threw a frog in. As soon as the gar broke the surface we all started shooting at it. Think about that. .22 and 8mm mauser bullets hitting water with idiots on both sides. How we did not get hit is sheer luck.

Best one though was we were walking through a field and came across a dead cow that was all swollen. So one boy walked up and pointed his rifle at it and pulled the trigger. Then a sound like someone passing gas happened and it sprayed nasty crap all over him.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #109

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Book

WE. Need to write a book “ My Daisy Proved I Was Crazy” or
“Projectiles I have known”
We will publish under the pseudonym Rick O’Shay
Iowa Dave
Old 01-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #110
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
WE. Need to write a book “ My Daisy Proved I Was Crazy” or
“Projectiles I have known”
We will publish under the pseudonym Rick O’Shay
Iowa Dave
My chapter contribution will be called "The day I got my backside worn out for shooting a Robin"....
Old 01-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #111

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
When I was about 12 I was doing some target practice with a BB gun. After my last shot I recocked the gun and went up to admire my marksmanship. I placed the gun with the but down and the barrel pointing up at me. As I bent over to take a closer look my thumb Hit the trigger, the pellet just missed my eye by less than a 1/4 inches. It hurt like anything and left quite a welt and when my father saw it and I had to explain how it happened. Well let's just say I never saw that gun again.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #112

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One day in the fall when my dad was 19 and most of the harvest was done, my grandpa gave him the day off. Dad took the opportunity to do some duck hunting. He came up to the field where grandpa and one of my uncles were loading the hay wagon. Dad set his shotgun against a wheel while he went to help hook up the team. One of the horses jerked a bit, the gun fell over, and went off, hitting my dad high in the arm near the shoulder. He ended up having to have his arm removed at the shoulder joint. Of course this created a lot of challenges for him, but he worked his way through all of them. He remained a handy guy doing most all work around the house. I literally became his right hand man, which was the start of me being a handy person myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #113
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Ouch. That ain't no BB gun story.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:31 PM   #114

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Ouch. That ain't no BB gun story.
I bet dad had wished it was.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #115

Glenn does this about sum up your experience?

Old 01-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #116

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Perfect.