Useless Xmas present - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Less can go wrong when you get her what she wants, right?
A happy wife.......
Yes sir. Mama didn't raise no fool.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have a cheap Samsung smartphone on a TracFone plan. So far this year it has cost me $151.76 according to Quicken, and I don't intend to add any more minutes before New Year's. Yeah, I don't talk much.

In contrast, I have an expensive Samsung tablet, which I've also been pretty happy with. Among other things, I have a floor mount in my truck for the tablet and run travel-related apps on it when I'm on a trip, such as the CoPilot GPS app and a trailer tire pressure monitor.

I didn't go with Apple for these devices because you can't add external storage on iPhones and iPads. For me that's a non-starter. But I do use a MacBook Pro laptop and am pretty happy with it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #63

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
I did not have time to read all these comments, but my response is yes, I just discovered Spotify and subscribed (Deluxe!). I've listened to more stuff I have never heard as anytime in my entire 65 years of living. I love new and different stuff.

Gail and I have been married for 43 years, and she still doesn't do what I ask!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How do you know what to ask for?
I scroll through a list of artists or albums on my iPhone and find stuff I didn't know I'd bought.
No matter.
Alexa and I are not on speaking terms and my wife wants her banished from the kitchen.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Boston pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I did not have time to read all these comments, but my response is yes, I just discovered Spotify and subscribed (Deluxe!). I've listened to more stuff I have never heard as anytime in my entire 65 years of living. I love new and different stuff.

Gail and I have been married for 43 years, and she still doesn't do what I ask!

Frank
Hey Frank, see if that Spotify thing still trips your trigger in another 43 Years. Arthur Fiedler wrote some great arrangements for the Boston Pops. Now he’s decomposing. Rimshot.
Hope to see you at Niagara.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
For music at home I have a Sonos setup, which works over our WiFi network. It is controlled from any of our devices. We also subscribe to Spotify, which gives us a monstrous selection of songs. Nice to sit in my chair and control great sounding music in every room from my phone, tablet or laptop.

I am considering bringing a Sonos speaker along in to use in our trailer, using the WiFi setup I am putting in it. Does not work on 12V though, and could be a fair draw on the inverter.
I’m loving this thread. Haven’t read the thread past Jim’s post about SONOS.

I got Alexa for Xmas and already have and love Sonos. I can’t get the Alexa system to integrate with Sonos. I use Slacker Music System to rent my music. Also Signed up for a trial period with Spotify (entry price @ .90 cents for three months) but can’t get Alexa to use Spotify to use Sonos.

Alexa gives me the weather, news updates and my 15 month old grandson loves to yell at her but can’t say “Alexa”to get the thing to work.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I’m loving this thread. Haven’t read the thread past Jim’s post about SONOS.

I got Alexa for Xmas and already have and love Sonos. I can’t get the Alexa system to integrate with Sonos. I use Slacker Music System to rent my music. Also Signed up for a trial period with Spotify (entry price @ .90 cents for three months) but can’t get Alexa to use Spotify to use Sonos.

Alexa gives me the weather, news updates and my 15 month old grandson loves to yell at her but can’t say “Alexa”to get the thing to work.
I know very little about Alexis, but do know that Sonos now has a Speaker with it built in to use with the system.

I signed up for Spotify's 3 month deal to have good tunes for our New Years party in 2017. We loved using it so much we gladly paid the monthly fee. I have found so much great music on it that we both love. Once you find one tune and select others similar you get lots of great choices. There is just so much good music out there, I will never get to listen to it all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #68

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
One gets tracked and listened to enough why get another device to where it makes it even easier
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
One gets tracked and listened to enough why get another device to where it makes it even easier
Say what? Not following this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #70

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hey Frank, see if that Spotify thing still trips your trigger in another 43 Years. Arthur Fiedler wrote some great arrangements for the Boston Pops. Now he’s decomposing. Rimshot.
Hope to see you at Niagara.
Iowa Dave
Niagara what Dave? That may be a meet I can't make. Let me know please.

About 320 days, I'll be retired!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #71

Quote:
I know very little about Alexis, but do know that Sonos now has a Speaker with it built in to use with the system.

Jim

I signed up for Spotify's 3 month deal to have good tunes for our New Years party in 2017. We loved using it so much we gladly paid the monthly fee. I have found so much great music on it that we both love. Once you find one tune and select others similar you get lots of great choices. There is just so much good music out there, I will never get to listen to it all.
Yep the voice activated Sonos speakers look inviting. Of course, a few years ago I blew my sound system budget before those were an option. Their sound bar is appealing but too expensive, again, since I put in a sound system a few years ago. Finally, I have to be satisfied with what I have and not be too attracted to all things bright and shiny.

Re Spotify, I got into Slacker a few years ago when I got into Sonos. Now I have all kinds of playlists out of the Slacker portfolio. Switching to Spotify means I loose all those playlists (one with 150 of my favorite songs) unless I get some kind of app that does the conversion.

It sucks when technology changes.... which is why we didn’t put in any speaker system into our 2014 Escape. I’ll pickup a wireless portable speaker someday if I want to play music thru some of our downloaded music via our iPads.

Larry
Old 01-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've been a long time paying user of Pandora. My current subscription runs out at the end of the month. My biggest complaint is the music gets repetitive between sessions. Anyone that has used both see an improvement with Spotify?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #73

I don't know if Spotify is repetitive because I don't know what is there. And, I can't remember the names of songs or artists so I can ask. Alexa is voice activated and has no display. I have the Spotify and Alexa apps on my iPhone, which has a display. Seems not all that difficult to just use the iPhone to scroll through my iTunes library and play through my Bluetooth speaker.
So far, all I've done is say "Alexa, play CBC Radio One". And she does. But, I have several radios, all tuned to FM 88.1, and they just have to be turned on.
Apparently you can ask Alexa to go to a playlist that you have created, but I'm too lazy to create playlists.
"Alexa, can you play more songs by that guy I heard on the radio yesterday"?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #74

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We have a small house so our main sound system serves for our TV, radio and other music needs. The last time I bought a new Yamaha receiver I got one with WIFI and Airplay. So now I can just tell Siri to play a song on our iPhone, iPad or MacBook; and iTunes starts up, the Yamaha powers on and plays.

Our iTunes music library says it would take 37+ days to listen to all the music we already have so Pandora or Spotify or Apple Music all seem like a waste of money for us. I replaced the stock Escape receiver with a nice Sony on the 21 and am more than happy with the speaker system Escape puts in. When Mary needed a new phone we got one with enough memory so our entire music library fits on it and play it through the Sony in the trailer so we don't always need a cell connection to have music.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #75

Had the grandson for the day so I asked Alexa to play 'Sharon, Lois and Bram'. Alexa had never heard of them. So, I asked her to play children's music. She didn't know any children's music. Obviously, I'm not asking the right question. I do get satisfaction when I say, "Alexa, turn yourself off".
Old 01-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #76

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Had the grandson for the day so I asked Alexa to play 'Sharon, Lois and Bram'. Alexa had never heard of them. So, I asked her to play children's music. She didn't know any children's music. Obviously, I'm not asking the right question. I do get satisfaction when I say, "Alexa, turn yourself off".
No, but if the grandson says buy me a laptop, one will be on the way...
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #77

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Rocket 88

Hi Eric
I thought of you this morning when I heard Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats doing
Rocket 88. Remember the futuristic Oldsmobile logo from the mid 50’s on both the exterior of the car and also on the air cleaner I believe. And also a group named Big Joe and the Dynaflows. Backup musicians named after a Buick transmission. And then there’s the Buick
“Nailhead” engine. Look there’s a squirrel!
Iowa Dave
Old 01-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do not forget the Cadillacs...
Old 01-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Our iTunes music library says it would take 37+ days to listen to all the music we already have so Pandora or Spotify or Apple Music all seem like a waste of money for us..
I see your point.

Here is how I changed that opinion which I once held. I have listened to “outlaw country” for years: Kristofferson, Waylon, people like Steve Earle and lots of different artists like Leonard Cohen. So I have lots off music I love.

Via my FB thread I follow something called “We hate pop country.” I hear about and get to listen to new artists like Colter Wall and Cody Jinks. These are young guys you won’t hear on the regular radio stations but I can find them through my music service providers: Slacker and Spotify. Colter Wall out of Saskatchewan is a very unique new voice. Cody Jinks writes some songs which are surprisingly deep and rich lyrically. He is from Texas (I think) Kristofferson appeared at one of his concerts last year.

Anyway, being exposed to new artists, new music with access to lots of music including my favourite outlaw country changed my mind.

Larry
Old 01-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #80
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've been a long time paying user of Pandora. My current subscription runs out at the end of the month. My biggest complaint is the music gets repetitive between sessions. Anyone that has used both see an improvement with Spotify?
the big difference with spotify is it has complete albums, and you can browse by artist, by album, and play said albums on demand, rather than just letting pandora choose what to play. I've always been more into albums than just songs.

spotify also has 'artist radio' which is more like pandora....

with spotify premium, you can choose artists and 'follow' them, and chose albums (or songs) and 'download' them, then they are stored locally on your device so it works when you're offline, in this way its more like itunes (but without the per-song/album fees).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote