Want a trailer but - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #1

Want a trailer but

Greetings, Escapers! This is truly an informative forum.
After considering trailers, it soon became obvious that the Escape is a quality product. Thank you, Eric and Mary, for showing us your "Blue" a while ago. Very impressive.

As much as I would like to snap up a 19', we don't have a tow vehicle yet. We are looking at the 4Runner. I see some lucky dogs in our region in Three Oaks and Omaha and Lincoln will be getting new Escapes shortly.

My reservations on the whole thing are on the towing deal: How much trouble it is to hitch up (There is something electric for that---- I'll take it!),
Having the trailer brakes adjusted correctly (Can you do that yourself?),
The weight distribution,
And, oh yes, the backing it up part (or always finding a pull- through spot!)

Do you actually need much physical strength? I am pretty sure we don't have anywhere near Eric's and we won't be wheeling around any trailer.

I love camping. We have been using a big two-room tent with a "screen porch" but that doesn't quite work when there are bears and mountain lions lurking about.

Considering Cathy
Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Re: Want a trailer but

Hitching up is easy if you have a mirror lookig at the hitch or someone guiding you. Otherwise it takes a little care and getting out to check. There are other ways of getting it done easy that I am sure others will pass along.

Weight distribution hitches are a bit of a pain to use and weight distribution in the trailer is easy, just put stuff evenly around and you should be OK.

Backing up a 19 footer should be easier than a 17 footer, the dual axles make it more stable. Put you hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move you hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. Don't oversteer and take it easy.

You don't need much strength. I use a power drill to lower the stabilizers when parked and hooking up the trailer shouldn't be hard. If it is you're doing something wrong.

Go for it.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Hi Cathy, and welcome aboard.

A 4Runner would do good as a tow vehicle.

All the reservations you have can be cast aside with practice. And I would recommend lots and lots of practice if you guys are green at towing a trailer. An empty parking lot is a perfect place. You can even use the lines to practice reversing. If you plan you look for pull through sites, you will have to pass up most of the good ones. The pull throughs are out in the middle, and usually more open.

I am a huge advocate of learning to reverse properly, and not relying too much on tricks and gimmicks. Use your mirrors and don't turn your head. To move the trailer in a certain direction picture how you would move the tongue to achieve this, and turn the back end of the tow in that direction. There are lots of good instructors out there, and a brief lesson would help a lot.

Bottom line, don't feel daunted. Everyone had to start at some time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #4

Thank you, Thane and Jim.
I just assumed that we would need a WDH. I think I read that one is necessary if the trailer weight is more than half that of the vehicle. I wonder how Reace determines when a WDH is used.

I guess an extended mirror is a good idea. I will be prepared for practice, practice on backing and will look for the latest replacement for tennis balls.

I don't suppose my cordless Makita would be sufficient but we do have another drill we can plug in.

It's a good point that the 19' is more stable due to the dual axles. I have noted that a 19' Airstream has a single axle.

I'll try not to worry too much about the above and instead spend my time coming up with a name for a new trailer! And I am going to order a book or DVD or the like, from RV Dr. or somebody, to study up.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #5

Hi Cathy,
Learning to deal with a trailer can seem very daunting at first, but once you develop a system, it is really very manageable. I know because this is our first summer with a trailer, and I have had to learn how to do most things myself as my husband is visually impaired. The best advice I received was to have checklists that you keep with the trailer, and use when hooking up. That way it is not so overwhelming trying to remember everything that needs to be done. It is not strength that is needed so much as being methodical so that the trailer is ready to go, and all the bits get connected properly, and nothing is forgotten. I have a checklist I use to remind me what I need to do inside the trailer (eg close roof vents, secure fridge door etc), one for the outside (eg. disconnect electrical, lock hatch etc), and one for the actual hooking up (eg connect safety chains, then electrical, then equalizer bars etc).

Backing up is something that gets easier with practice... or so I'm told!! I'm still working on that. You have to be patient with yourself, and recognize that it is going to take time. It helps if the person sitting next to you in your tow vehicle is also patient. :

The rewards of being in a comfortable, secure 'home on wheels' surrounded by fresh air and beautiful vistas more than make up for any challenges in the learning process... It also helps to keep telling yourself that learning new skills is good for the brain!!

Pam

2004 Escape 17A "Doodle Bug"; 2010 Highlander
dpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

All the above were excellent suggestions. If I can elaborate on some of them it may add some insight. We tow a 19 without a weight distribution hitch. Our 4Runner came equiped with a towing package, a very worthwhile option. I have seen, but not used, the WDH hitches and they are cumbersome but certainly managable. After a year I have not seen a need for the WDH but I am certain it adds a margin of safety.

The cordless drill works great on lowering the jacks, we were fortunate to have the scissors jack, not sure they are standard, but my >10 amp drill did not cut it. As a holiday gift I received a 16 amp and it is more than enough to handle the jacks.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #7

Cathy:

Liana & I were as 'green' as they come.. we never towed anything or had a camper experience.. Tammy & Reace we're so nice in taking the time to show us everything.. Reace actually helped me dial in the brake controller and took a test drive with me to see how everything reacted.. Really over and beyond..

I agree w/Jim as I being a 'greenie' it's good to pattern yourself after smart people..

I would say that that practicing in a parking lot will help you get your confidence going..and just allow yourself to do everything 'slow'.. We had a 17ft and my guess that the dual axle will be easier to manage as it probably reacts slower to 'backing' up..

Also the checklist is another great idea as sometimes you're in a hurry and forget something.. again it's the 'in a hurry' thing that tends to create more trouble than it's worth..

I would venture to guess in less than month you'll laugh at how 'stressed' you were about the whole hitching, parking, towing an dumping thing..

I think you'll be amazed how easy it is once you have a trip or two under your belt..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #8

I agree with all the posts above. Its easy and doesn't require a lot of strength - just practice and technique (and some patience). I like the expression "90% of the things you fear never come to pass."

Your cordless drill will suit for the jacks, but they really don't take much strength when you do it manually either.

I am a firm believer in a WDH and anti-sway bar. Anything you can do to make your rig more stable (and safer) is to the good. I blew a tire at 70 mph (I know, I know!) in our Casita and literally never felt a thing. The explosive "BLAM!" and a leaning trailer were all the clues I had - the trailer tracked straight and true. They are a bit of a hassle, but I wouldn't tow without one. YMMV.

Dave
Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ
.. again it's the 'in a hurry' thing that tends to create more trouble than it's worth..
Ain't that the truth. In many other areas of life too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
I am a firm believer in a WDH and anti-sway bar. Anything you can do to make your rig more stable (and safer) is to the good. I blew a tire at 70 mph (I know, I know!) in our Casita and literally never felt a thing. The explosive "BLAM!" and a leaning trailer were all the clues I had - the trailer tracked straight and true. They are a bit of a hassle, but I wouldn't tow without one. YMMV.
Dave
Totally agree with Dave...it's a hassle, but the safety margin is worth it! I had the exact thing happen to me outside of Hershey, PA....Interstate..65+mph...Casita...and nothing but a "bammmm" and flying rubber. Don't think that would be the case without the WDH. It's not difficult, it's just a pain. Maybe one of the reasons both Dave and I have 5.0's
Everything else will fall into place as everyone has said, and is a fun (and sometimes..funny) learn : - ) I'm still learning, and backing up slowly..the 5.0!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Cathy, we really enjoyed meeting you both and showing you Blue. I think that you will find that almost everything is easier than you imagine when first contemplating it all. Nothing really entails any real need of physical strength. Confidence comes with practice and we all started out sometime as newbies to the whole towing "thing". As others have said Reace and Tammy are so amazingly helpful with everything. Also as others have said, a wide open parking lot can do wonders for learning how to maneuver. I still consider myself barely competent at backing into any tight spaces, but I just go very slowly with Mary giving me directions.

The WDH doesn't really take any strength, as Reace will show you, you can use the front jack to take up most of the weigh so that it installs quite remarkably easily. Mary does ours often as I get other things ready. I really really encourage everyone to use one for safety. A friend who was following us one time with his popup commented on how the tow and Escape moved together like one vehicle rather than a pickup towing a trailer. And that is how it feels driving it too.

This place is so full of amazingly helpful people that it is like an extra bonus that comes with Escapes. If you ever want to come again and look at anything as you contemplate, just give us a call or email.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #12

Pam, I will keep the beautiful vistas in mind. Camping, especially in a trailer, seems to be a whole other world and I wish we had gotten into it much much sooner.
Lists----I have a list for everything. I used to have pieces of paper all over the place. Now we have IPads and I can bring up any list under Notes without being on Wifi. I have a list of trailer options, a list of camping tips from people on this forum and a bunch of other lists just for camping.
You seem to be doing very well with all of these things.

Paul, the 4Runners come prepared to tow with no package needed now. I am sure you know that there is no longer a V8. The present capacity is 5000 lbs. I wonder how much more you have with your V8. It is good to know that you can tow without a WDH. I am one of those people, fortunately or unfortunately, who has to be overprepared to do anything so I will want one. I don't know about the sway bar yet.

I will keep your tips in my tip list! Thank you. It is all very reassuring.
Cathy

Old 09-15-2011, 01:57 AM   #13

Jeff, you certainly did jump in feet first! Yes, I am looking forward to laughing off these concerns and no longer being green.

Dave and Hokie, I will probably want TWO WDHs! Don't know about sway bars yet though. Rease tells people to have the WDH but not the sway bar and Casita tells people to have the sway bar and not the WDH. Some people have both. Or maybe it depends on your vehicle and which trailer.

Hi, Eric! Okay, make that THREE WDHs! I wonder where you have been in Blue lately. Now I am always thinking, did Eric have this on his trailer? Did Eric have that? My options list is very long.

Cathy
Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #14

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Cathy, go with whatever Reace says to use. He knows a lot more about trailers than the folks at a Texas outfit
Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #15

Don't worry, Laura or Rick, I would do it the way Reace says. I just thought it was interesting that Casita says the opposite and I wonder what that's about.
Cathy
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy, Midwest U.S.
Don't worry, Laura or Rick, I would do it the way Reace says. I just thought it was interesting that Casita says the opposite and I wonder what that's about.
Cathy
It may be that Casitas are a bit more prone to sway? I know that our Scamp, while not bad about sway, was more prone to it than Blue is. It think it may have something to do with the axle on Escapes being further to the rear of the trailer and therefore having more inherent resistance to sway? I am not enough of a trailer expert to know for sure. With the axle further back, tongue weight is more likely to be higher. I think I have been told that a bit too much tongue weight is safer than too little.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy, Midwest U.S.
Cathy
I think the only difference between the two companies is Casita says sway bar, Escape says not necessary. Both recommend the WDH where applicable (light truck or tow). The sway bar is a small, low-maintenance addition to the WDH unit. I don't know if the combination of the bar and the WDH made my blow-out un-dramatic, or not. Whatever it was, I was glad to have it.

Dave
Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #18

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Cathy, we used to owned a 17' Casita. When we picked up the Casita the rep said that we would fine without a WDH. He said that even before the Casita was hooked up to our TV. How did he know? ESP?? Never really felt good about the setup.

When we picked up our beloved Escape, Reace spent considerable time looking and measuring the TV with and without the Escape being attached. He said I need a WDH. Now I have piece of mind knowing that an expert gave correct advice.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #19

When we took delivery of our 19ft I brought our WDH along. I asked Reace to help me install it and he said it is not needed and put it back in the truck. We pull with a 2007 Toyota Tundra.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #20

Eric, I am glad you mentioned that you had a Scamp as I was thinking you had a Casita and that you would know all about this.
There are apparently quite a few variables to consider on the hitch including: 1. tow vehicle wheel base 2. trailer length 3. trailer weight 4. whether the tow vehicle is a truck or has a truck chassis 5. As you mention, perhaps the placement of the axle 6. whether there is a single or dual axle

I gather that the WDH is added safety. So perhaps while most everyone can do just fine without it, somebody somewhere cannot. I think it might come down to whether or not you want to take the chance that you are not the somebody somewhere. Since I am a safety nut, I'll take all of the safety options I can get. Then again, maybe there are actually vehicles and trailers where the WDH would not give a bit more safety value. If so, I guess I would want to know when that is and why.

I have it now. I figure with all of those variables, one must assign numbers to each one, then add them up, then divide by 2.1416. If the result is greater than 10, you need a WDH!

Hippo, when did you pick up your 19'?
Cathy