Warning, OFF is hazardous... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
After fishing / tent camping in Canada , Northern Minnesota (BWCA) & Wisconsin during prime mosquito and black fly season for over 50 years , I would not think of leaving home without a more than ample supply of deet. Any bug repellant with less than 40% deet is a waste of time IMHO . Deet used as directed WORKS and if the bug spray starts to bother me I take a quick dip in the lake.
I've actually stood in water up to my neck to avoid getting eaten alive by bugs while camping in the BWCA.
When fishing / camping in Canada , we brought along a whole case of Repel 40% , a few bottles of 100% deet and then prayed for a good frost.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Last year, a bite from a deer-fly caused my hand to swell to the point that I couldn't use it. Had to leave camp and go to a clinic for a shot of antihistamine. I now keep Benadryl in the first aid kit. It is a chemical in a container that could potentially leak. I'll take that risk.
I also have several insect repellents on hand as a preventative measure.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sounds like water to me.
Dihydrogen monoxide can be deadly stuff....

Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #24

Terrific link Eric.

baglo
Old 04-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
I just checked out the Thermacell. It's approval rating by purchasers is astounding. I've never seen such a popular product. The main concern from users seems to be the purchase price of the refills.

I also found out a few things about DEET in the process. Higher percentages of DEET aren't more effective, they just last longer. A low dose DEET application might be good for a brief outdoor exposure. It might be wise to carry a couple different doses for different situations.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #26

Another problem with the Thermacell, and another battery-powered product that you wear, it that it's not effective if you move from one spot to another. Basically, it requires still air.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Where in Canada are you at risk? (of Lyme disease)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Basically, it requires still air.
I'm not saying that there's a lot of talking going on, but still air is in short supply in my house
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
After fishing / tent camping in Canada , Northern Minnesota (BWCA) & Wisconsin during prime mosquito and black fly season for over 50 years , I would not think of leaving home without a more than ample supply of deet. Any bug repellant with less than 40% deet is a waste of time IMHO . Deet used as directed WORKS and if the bug spray starts to bother me I take a quick dip in the lake.
I've actually stood in water up to my neck to avoid getting eaten alive by bugs while camping in the BWCA.
When fishing / camping in Canada , we brought along a whole case of Repel 40% , a few bottles of 100% deet and then prayed for a good frost.
Totally agree. There are some places I've camped where I too had to practically submerge myself in water to keep the swarm away. That was back in my tenting days.

I use 100% DEET but in very small amounts, on clothing. Very effective. Once a day is all it takes. Used in small amounts there is really no noticeable odor to me, but the mosquitos disagree.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I am like a few others on this forum in that mosquitos do not take a lot of interest in me at most times (possibly due to the alcohol content of my blood). A little bit of mosquito spray with Deet will keep the bugs away from me for a long time. When camping or canoeing at locations where the mosquitos have been particularly bad, I will wear long sleeved shirts and pants and may even wear a bug mesh hat to keep the swarms away.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Here are some relevant links - top 3 from the CDC, bottom one from the EPA. For whatever reasons, tick and mosquito transmitted diseases are becoming more common throughout North America. I prefer prevention when it is fairly easy to accomplish and have seen too many friends and acquaintances acquire lyme to ignore it. YMMV

Lyme Disease Map
Tick Removal
Preventing Tick Bites
Find the Right Repellent

We have not used Deet on our skin for many years. Thank you for these links to confirm that oil of lemon eucalyptus works. Already knew that it works great and still have a little bottle of it that we use once in a while. Believe I bought it in Wisconsin. I will look for more when up there soon.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We have not used Deet on our skin for many years. Thank you for these links to confirm that oil of lemon eucalyptus works. Already knew that it works great and still have a little bottle of it that we use once in a while. Believe I bought it in Wisconsin. I will look for more when up there soon.
Cathy, yep, if you check out the latest CU rating, Repel Lemon Eucalyptus is their 3rd best rated. Top score goes to another non-DEET product, Sawyer Picaridin. A widely used one in Europe is called IR3535 and is rated as effective by the CDC.

So there are lots of effective mosquito and tick repellent choices for folks depending on their preferences.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Cathy, yep, if you check out the latest CU rating, Repel Lemon Eucalyptus is their 3rd best rated. Top score goes to another non-DEET product, Sawyer Picaridin. A widely used one in Europe is called IR3535 and is rated as effective by the CDC.

So there are lots of effective mosquito and tick repellent choices for folks depending on their preferences.
I think we have the Sawyer stuff and put it on our clothing.
I prefer the lemon eucalyptus for skin. Of course, you have to find it. That may be the reason that Sawyer is rated first --- seen more often.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #34

Quote:
I think we have the Sawyer stuff and put it on our clothing.
I prefer the lemon eucalyptus for skin. Of course, you have to find it. That may be the reason that Sawyer is rated first --- seen more often.
We spend so much time working in tick infested areas, we treat our outdoor work clothes with Permethrin, it is definitely not for spraying on skin.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #35

Quote:
We spend so much time working in tick infested areas, we treat our outdoor work clothes with Permethrin, it is definitely not for spraying on skin.
Yes, we have that in spray cans for clothing. I take it back. We may not have Sawyer. Will have to look next time. I have the lemon eucalyptus with me though. Wouldn't be without it.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Yes, we have that in spray cans for clothing.
But then there are those wonderful biting creatures known as buffalo flies or buffalo gnats, that laugh off DEET and all the other ones that work on ticks and mosquitos. After trying nearly every insect repellent made we finally found ones with Geraniol work on those miniature monsters. Up until then the only thing we had found was vanilla extract, it made one smell good but was only effective for about 15 minutes!

It sure smells better than the McKerdies (sp?) Bear Grease that was the only thing available in 1974 that sorta worked on Ontario's black flies when I worked in Northern Ontario

Old 05-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #37

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
I have had the same but?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
DEET , which is the active ingredient is harmful to most plastics and synthetic fabrics. I left a squeeze bottle of bug juice in my fishing tackle box one winter , I ended up with a pile of oily plastic goo in the bottom of the tackle box . Had to throw out a couple hundred bucks worth of fishing tackle
I have had the same problem in my tackle box and I never use any bug repellent when fishing. I am not what caused it but it was reaction between different plastic baits. Go figure.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote