Watch Where You Park - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Watch Where You Park

Parked last week for one night in a downtown Vancouver RV park. Nice place but got put beside a 53 foot motor home or should I say bus. Shortly after turning out the lights the gentleman next to me put on his diesel heater. Fumes got so bad I had to pack up in the dark and move to another vacant spot. Fellow beside me understandably did not want to turn off his heat on a cold night. Good practice parking in the dark I guess. Windows were closed in the trailer but the fumes still got beyond what we considered safe.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Or the first of the night, spontaneous 3am AC cycling with full throated Onan gennie as backup vocals.

I feel your pain.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
While we were at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone, we woke up to the trailer full of smoke due the illegal fire the idiot next to us left smoldering. At least he didn't burn my trailer up - not that he didn't try! Oh, the smoke detector works on campfire smoke too.

Same RV park - but still funny. Another trailer had a bison lay down right in front of his door - he was stuck inside until the bison decided to move on.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
While we were at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone, we woke up to the trailer full of smoke due the illegal fire the idiot next to us left smoldering. At least he didn't burn my trailer up - not that he didn't try! Oh, the smoke detector works on campfire smoke too.

Same RV park - but still funny. Another trailer had a bison lay down right in front of his door - he was stuck inside until the bison decided to move on.
The Bison story is wonderful. Thanks for sharing
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Shortly after turning out the lights the gentleman next to me put on his diesel heater. Fumes got so bad I had to pack up in the dark and move to another vacant spot. Fellow beside me understandably did not want to turn off his heat on a cold night. .
We rarely stay in RV parks and I've always thought that a plus was that at least no one would be running a generator. But recently at Rolling Hills, because it was so cold, we broke down and went into the RV park instead of the usual parking in the truck area.

Walking though the loops I was kind of surprised at how much noise comes from a lot of the units running heating units.

Loved the guy across the way from us, 4 full sized quads , I don't know how we get along without one. Definitely a difference between us folks in our little plastic eggs and the mega RV's.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
20-02-2018 8-15-46 AM_0353_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’m pretty picky when it comes to the possibility of exhaust fumes that could impact us and have several times taken a less scenically desireable location than one where there’s a diesel pusher or generator involved. Some times you have no choice especially in peak season times. Overhead widow maker branches, Diesel exhaust, generators running for no reason are all due diligence deal breakers if I have a choice, big branches and rotten trees are always a reason to drop her back into drive. Wouldn’t want to wake up dead.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Overhead widow maker branches... big branches and rotten trees are always a reason to drop her back into drive. Wouldn’t want to wake up dead.
Iowa Dave
Indeed. I learned my lesson from parking in a nice spot with high, overhead shade. Then a thunderstorm moved through one night. The trailer was hit by a smaller limb, but the five-incher in the photo shook the ground when it hit. I was lucky that time. Since then I've always examined the trees at campsites.
Attached Thumbnails
20160929_annapolis_fallen_limb.jpg   20160930_annapolis_cg.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #8
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
Excellent advice. Thank you!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #9

Limbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Indeed. I learned my lesson from parking in a nice spot with high, overhead shade. Then a thunderstorm moved through one night. The trailer was hit by a smaller limb, but the five-incher in the photo shook the ground when it hit. I was lucky that time. Since then I've always examined the trees at campsites.
I was City Arborist in Council Bluffs Iowa for several years. We trimmed and removed trees by the thousand during the Dutch Elm disease. I was active in the Society of Municipal
Arborists, and attended several conferences and workshops where liabilities from publicly owned trees were the primary topic. Big wood, up high, can generate terrific force on its way down. Widow makers, barber chairs, bad crotches, hollow trunks and coondominiums were our stock and trade. Here’s a big ash I dropped on the corner of our lot. It’s always spooky when the saw speeds up when it ought to be hoggin down.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
2C27E43D.jpg   63699165.jpg  
Old 03-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Good god 4 quads. Why?
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Good god 4 quads. Why?
For four riders? That would make sense.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #12

4 Quads

That's a term I'm not familiar with. I have two pretty good quads for being 70 years old and biceps honed to spring steel sinew from a lifetime of 12 ounce curls. The saw is a Stihl 460 with a 35 inch bar. I didn't get out the big 6600 Binford. Like the parting words the padre said to the poor man being strapped into the electric chair, "More power to you"
Iowa Dave
Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For four riders? That would make sense.
Maybe, the other thing that I notice is those towing a pickup massive enough to tow a large Montana. Just the thing to run into town to do some shopping. I know, everyone has the right to set their own priorities but sometimes I think, Really!

Quote:
I didn't get out the big 6600 Binford.
Iowa Dave
"Binford" I guess it was "Bynford" but for some reason I thought of Tim, the tool man, Taylor.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:35 PM   #14

Bynford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Maybe, the other thing that I notice is those towing a pickup massive enough to tow a large Montana. Just the thing to run into town to do some shopping. I know, everyone has the right to set their own priorities but sometimes I think, Really!

"Binford" I guess it was "Bynford" but for some reason I thought of Tim, the tool man, Taylor.

Ron
I guess I never paid attention to the spelling, but yes, Tim Allen, the tool man who always grunted " more power". I was in a saw shop a few years ago, of course dressed for success, when a prospective customer mistook me for a salesman. Seizing the opportunity before the owner realized what was happening, when the customer asked me for a recommendation for a lightweight trimming saw, I pulled a big Stihl 460 out of the display tree trunk and said " this thousand dollar bad boy is just what you need. Before I could complete my pitch the owner came zipping out from the other side of the corner and told me step back, I'll handle this. Not sure he ever completely forgave me, I exited, stage left out the door.
Never know, all a steer can do is try.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-27-2018, 11:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I used to wonder about the large flat-towed vehicles behind motorhomes, then I realized that a travelling family would need to take with them the same size of vehicle that they would use to drive around together when not on vacation... so if the family wagon is a crew cab pickup truck, that's what's hooked to the back of the motorhome. Sure, they could take the Corvette and that would do for milk runs, but how would they all get to Disneyland or whatever the side trip of the day might be?

Another factor is that most vehicles are now automatics, and most automatics cannot be flat-towed without modification. The common exception is 4WD vehicles with a transfer case which can be shifted to neutral, and my guess is that truck is one of them. Even if there is a more modestly sized vehicle in the family fleet, the 4X4 truck wins the flat-towing job.

There is also the issue of bolting the towing bar's baseplate into the towed vehicle. That is more straightforward and (if you are depending on the questionable experience, skill, and honesty of an RV shop's tech) reliable with a body-on-frame vehicle... such as that truck.

Having towed a 2.4 tonne (5200 pound) trailer behind our motorhome - which isn't one of those huge diesel pushers - I can see towing the truck... it would barely be noticeable at steady speed, although it would be a pain on grades.

As for towing a trailer with the truck, rather than the truck with a motorhome, I'll note that in these forums a common opinion is that a 21' Escape can't be towed with anything less than a full-sized truck, so a large trailer would clearly need a Class 4 medium duty truck, and that lightweight Chevy wouldn't be up to the task.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #16

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
I’m pretty picky when it comes to the possibility of exhaust fumes that could impact us and have several times taken a less scenically desireable location than one where there’s a diesel pusher or generator involved. Some times you have no choice especially in peak season times. Overhead widow maker branches, Diesel exhaust, generators running for no reason are all due diligence deal breakers if I have a choice, big branches and rotten trees are always a reason to drop her back into drive. Wouldn’t want to wake up dead.
Iowa Dave
Thanks, Dave! So much to learn before I pick up my 19! Great to have all the accumulated knowledge of you experienced folks here! 😁
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote