Water/sewer hookups at home? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Don’t own one yet
Water/sewer hookups at home?

I tried doing some searches and couldn’t come up with anything so I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I’m planning to put a deposit down on a 5.0 TA this coming spring and I was wondering if anyone here uses their Escape at home as either a guest room or an Airbnb. I’m thinking it would be much easier to do that if I had access to shore power and water/sewer so I was wondering how you went about doing that. The electrical shouldn’t be a problem as I have an outbuilding I can run as much juice as I need from but the plumbing seems a little more complicated so I would really appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance and I appreciate y’all having me on the forum!
1oakproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Well, I've stayed in the trailer while we had guests, so I guess that kind of counts.

I would love to have a line to our sewer and that's one of things on our list of things to do around here. As well as putting in an outside power pole.

For the plumbing you'd need some way to get the "stuff" from the trailer to your sewer line, so that's something a plumber could help you with. I know some on this forum have a way to dump into their sewer system.

I'd check with your area's codes to see if you can rent it out. Heck, if you can even park it there as some areas restrict that. Or how many days it can be rented out in a certain time period.

I don't see why you couldn't use your trailer that way. Heck, lots of folks do with Airstreams. Order custom fabric at a minimum (it's so dated looking that if you want to rent you're going to want something else, such as a solid color that you can change the look with by changing pillows). Get some sort of theme going with the decor of the trailer. If you look at the sites with the Airstreams, most of them have some sort of theme.

One drawback could be the small bathroom/shower. Not everyone likes using it as a wet bath. You'll want to upgrade the showerhead and hose as well.

Good luck!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We have a cabin in the White Mountains that will become our FT/PT base in about 3 years and we are prepping the RV pad slowly but surely. The 30A pull over to a shed near the trailer wasn't a huge issue for our electrician to add and I completed the wiring from his termination point at the back of the shed to the RV 30A box.
We needed yard hydrants added and I just had the plumber add one more by the RV pad for the water.
Sewer or Septic is more of the issue. If you're on sewer you should have knockouts between the buildings and the street that may give you easy dump access when needed if location works. Septic you can either add a dump pipe which may cost a bit or if your septic is located close to the trailer, they do have replacement septic lids with a thread attachment to bring a pipe up to the surface for dump. We don't know which way we're going yet on this as the septic may have to be replaced someday soon and we'll just add it when that happens.
Without really knowing your setup, hope this gives you some ideas.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A number of folks use a macerator pump for home dumping, all you need is access to water and a toilet.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-18555-.../dp/B001HKZHIW
Old 10-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Many, if not most, cities and towns do not allow people to stay in trailers, or sometimes have a limit such as 30 days for the year at residential properties. Need to call your local officials if you have not.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Sewer or Septic is more of the issue. If you're on sewer you should have knockouts between the buildings and the street that may give you easy dump access when needed if location works. Septic you can either add a dump pipe which may cost a bit or if your septic is located close to the trailer, they do have replacement septic lids with a thread attachment to bring a pipe up to the surface for dump. We don't know which way we're going yet on this as the septic may have to be replaced someday soon and we'll just add it when that happens.
You may already know this, but if you tap into your septic, do not use harsh RV black tank chemicals. They can "shock" your septic system and kill the digestive bacteria that make a septic system work.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I believe all RV black tank treatments these days are formulated without formaldehyde and are safe.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I believe all RV black tank treatments these days are formulated without formaldehyde and are safe.
Agreed. My qualifier "Harsh" could have been more specific.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Don’t own one yet
Thank you so much for the help, everyone! You guys and gals seem like a really great and very helpful group of folks! I’m on city sewer so no septic to worry about. I guess I’ll just reach out to a plumber to make sure I’m doing everything right when the time comes. I know it may not be exactly kosher so what I’ll probably end up doing is to forego renting the trailer and instead list my room in the house and just stay in the trailer when the room is rented. That way there’s no risk of a guest that doesn’t read/follow instructions messing up my future beloved 5.0 TA. Thanks again!
1oakproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oakproductions View Post
I know it may not be exactly kosher so what I’ll probably end up doing is to forego renting the trailer and instead list my room in the house and just stay in the trailer when the room is rented. That way there’s no risk of a guest that doesn’t read/follow instructions messing up my future beloved 5.0 TA. Thanks again!
Well, yeah, that was the other thing I was thinking. I know I don't want strangers in my trailer, regardless of what they're paying. Heck, even friends and family! I don't know if they'd treat it properly if they're not used to using an RV. I had someone ask me early on if they could borrow it and our truck. NOPE! Actually, I think I said HECK NO! (Insert much stronger word for "heck" and it doesn't start with an "h" either!)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 19'
If you are on city sewer you have a few options.. most of the house has clean out drains, you can check and see if it's reachable and whether or not gravity agree with you.. also there's the city sewer connection which is usually marked with S and there's a drain (that has a cover on).. technically since you are responsible for the sewer from that point on to your house, you have access to at least from that point..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 2018
Send a message via AIM to Farmerdoug
We can’t keep a trailer of any kind for more than 48 hours in the subdivision, unless behind the house, this is pretty common ordinance. No hookups are allowed. I have talked to the ordinance officer, he will cut me some slack, but advised don’t play games.
We have used our Scamp as a portable room when visiting our son and family, but he lives in the country.
Farmerdoug is offline   Reply With Quote