Watercraft - canoe, kayak, pontoon - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Watercraft - canoe, kayak, pontoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Forest Service campsite near Merritt. $6 a night for seniors.
Are those catamaran kayaks next to your trailer?
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Are those catamaran kayaks next to your trailer?
Nope. Those are pontoon boats. Buck's Bags Southfork model. Can use the oars or flippers ( some even attach small electric motors ). I'd call them a FUV. Fishing Utility Vehicle, because your hands are free to handle your rod and the fish ( oars shipped and using flippers to control the boat ).
Attached Thumbnails
W1 keath chataway.jpg  
Old 12-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Nope. Those are pontoon boats. Buck's Bags Southfork model. Can use the oars or flippers ( some even attach small electric motors ). I'd call them a FUV. Fishing Utility Vehicle, because your hands are free to handle your rod and the fish ( oars shipped and using flippers to control the boat ).
Are they very light weight ?….. Do you always wear hip-waders ?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Those are amazing. And, according to the web site, the shipping weight for a 7' boat is only 60 lbs. Might be just the thing for someone who is fearful of tipping over in a kayak or canoe ...
Old 12-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Those are amazing. And, according to the web site, the shipping weight for a 7' boat is only 60 lbs. Might be just the thing for someone who is fearful of tipping over in a kayak or canoe ...
I've thought about the same thing, with photography and just recreational paddling (okay, rowing) in mind, but the fishing cats are pretty short and likely both less stable and slower than a more typical boat. Corrections and suggestions welcome...

Also,it seems to me that a better way to move something a cat - rather than rowing - would be a Hobie Cat MirageDrive, although it won't work in very shallow water.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I've thought about the same thing, with photography and just recreational paddling (okay, rowing) in mind, but the fishing cats are pretty short and likely both less stable and slower than a more typical boat. Corrections and suggestions welcome...

Also,it seems to me that a better way to move something a cat - rather than rowing - would be a Hobie Cat MirageDrive, although it won't work in very shallow water.
When we were looking for a small-ish water craft for the lake, we debated on a Zodiac or a Porta Bote (Porta Bote | The Unique Folding Boat). We settled on the Zodiac since we wouldn't be moving it much; however, now that we're looking at traveling in our Escape, I'm sorry we didn't go with the Porta Bote.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Are they very light weight ?….. Do you always wear hip-waders ?
I wear either waist-high waders or my chest waders. My buddy, in the pic sometimes just wears shorts, depending on the weather. Hip waders could mean a wet bum, although you are sitting above the water.

Also, if you look up Scotty rod holders you will find accessories. I've got two rail-mount anchor holders and anchors, two rod holders and a drink holder. Small cooler sits on the apron on the back ( or I suppose you could put a porta-potti there ).
Old 12-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
the fishing cats are pretty short and likely both less stable and slower than a more typical boat. Corrections and suggestions welcome...
I've used mine on rivers and in some decent size waves. Never worried. But, they aren't designed to go fast. Designed for fishing, and with flippers you can manoeuvre precisely with your hands free to handle the rod and fish.
If you want to go fast, you need a 17' canoe with no rocker. Makes a lousy fishing boat.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have two 17.5' boats, a Helman Prospector, a do everything boat, but not the fastest loaded up. Quite stable, and good for fishing. Quite good in big rapids too.

My other tandem is a Swift Winisk, which is what baglo is referring to at the end of his last post. Very little rocker, asymmetrical in shape, initially unstable unless loaded, light and very fast. I got it for covering distances and it works great for that. Great for trolling too.

My last boat is a near complete 15'5' solo boat. Little rocker, quite narrow, and designed to be fast. Hope to have it in the water next spring.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... the fishing cats are pretty short and likely both less stable and slower than a more typical boat...
Quote:
I've used mine on rivers and in some decent size waves. Never worried.
It occurs to me now that I should have said less directionally stable... not more prone to tip.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have two 17.5' boats, a Helman Prospector, a do everything boat, but not the fastest loaded up. Quite stable, and good for fishing. Quite good in big rapids too.

My other tandem is a Swift Winisk, which is what baglo is referring to at the end of his last post. Very little rocker, asymmetrical in shape, initially unstable unless loaded, light and very fast. I got it for covering distances and it works great for that. Great for trolling too.

My last boat is a near complete 15'5' solo boat. Little rocker, quite narrow, and designed to be fast. Hope to have it in the water next spring.
The solo wouldn't be an Osprey would it? 1st canoe I built was a 15' Swift Osprey, 4 boats later it is still by far my most used and most beat up.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The solo wouldn't be an Osprey would it? 1st canoe I built was a 15' Swift Osprey, 4 boats later it is still by far my most used and most beat up.
Pretty much. It is called a Kite, which is the same as an Osprey, except above the waterline John Winters designed it to have a full length sweeping chines. I stretched mine 6" for just a bit more capacity, for bringing the dog along.

Here is one that Martin Step from Green Valley Boat Works built.

He had sent me a bunch of photos as he built the prototype, here is one at the stage I am at. While the painted exterior is not too bad, and it covered up a couple blemishes for him. I am going to leave mine a clear coat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022 sm.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	4406

If you are interested, and I am behind on posting photos, you can check out my build here. It all started with me getting a log from a friend.

Canoe Build - Kite - BearLeeAlive
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #13

Ah yes. They are inherently directionally unstable, which makes them great for fly fishing. Using flippers, you can rotate the boat in place to face the direction you want to cast.
For the travel portion, you have to constantly correct your course.