We joined HarvestHosts Any suggestions? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
We joined HarvestHosts Any suggestions?

Hey Guys:

In an effort to liven up the travel routes this year, we joined Harvesthosts.com. I love the idea of camping at wineries and breweries. So does my wife.

I was wondering if there are any tips or suggestions from those that have used their services.

I m particularly interested in California (North), Colorado, Michigan and the North East. Covid allowing, got a few trips we are looking at.

Thanks.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
We have done several Harvest Hosts in California. They were all wonderful, but I will give you two standouts. Indigeny Reserve just outside Sonora Ca. 100 acre apple orchard that makes hard apple cider in several variations. Beautiful spacious grounds, and the cider is great. Another option is 43 Ranch olive oil in San Ardo Ca. Right off 101, Olive farm and an olive oil mill. Great award winning olive oil, nice tour of the mill by the owner. My advice, find some along your route and give them a try. You won't be sorry. I have a reservation in June for one I have wanted to try. The Inn at Tres Pinos , in Tres Pinos Ca. This is a gourmet restaurant that will serve you at a patio made for your trailer. Have fun.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
You might want to check out “Boondockers Welcome” that is free. Keep it handy in case you run out of spots.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 5.0
I do not believe boondockers welcome is free. I think we paid $50 for a year. Used it a few times with average results. Some hosts would take several days to reply to a request to a stay with them. Made it hard to plan sometimes.
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Overall, I’ve enjoyed Harvest Hosts. I had one sketchy spot - a visit to a coal mine in Pennsylvania. Parking was on the street in a sketchy neighborhood on a hilly road. Other than that, great locations and able to meet my driving distance goals without resorting to Walmart’s, Cracker Barrel’s or rest areas.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post
I do not believe boondockers welcome is free. I think we paid $50 for a year. Used it a few times with average results. Some hosts would take several days to reply to a request to a stay with them. Made it hard to plan sometimes.
Well it definitely not free now. Searching further you have to pay a fee to be a member. They will refund you within 6 months if you are not satisfied.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We just joined Harvest Hosts as well to add to the options. Best deal was Escapees Member discount which was $63 locked in if you renew every year.
I understand they are raising membership to $99 April 1, so if you want membership you should sign up before.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Harvest Hosts looks like an interesting option. We are considering it. I don't think that it is necessarily a money saver. I have rarely gotten out of a wine tasting at a winery for under $100-200. It could be fun, but might be more expensive than staying in a KOA.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We’ve had good luck with Boondockers both as hosts and users, but it might not work for everyone.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #10

The thing about HarvestHosts is you get to stay at vineyards and wineries (and breweries). We are thinking about adding more interest to our trips, not really saving money.

We both like that. I have had marvelous experiences in both California and New Zealand.

New Zealand spoiled me for wine. I had a 26 day assignment as a photographer shooting vineyards and wineries on both islands. For 19 nights I drank wine with the four great wine masters of New Zealand.

Each shoot was 12 to 18 hours. Drinking was mandatory.

Spoiled rotten. I love wineries. I love New Zealand.
Attached Thumbnails
hiking.jpg   M.I.N.P..jpg   Milford sound.jpg   Punch down at the Miltons.jpg   vineyards.jpg  

wainui beach .jpg  
Old 02-10-2021, 07:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
You might want to check out “Boondockers Welcome” that is free. Keep it handy in case you run out of spots.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
Though this does seem quite interesting, I do have to chuckle at the name, as none of the places seem to be in the boondocks, a place I actually like to go.

Going to bookmark and maybe join when we next do a big travel trip.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #12

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
The thing about HarvestHosts is you get to stay at vineyards and wineries (and breweries). We are thinking about adding more interest to our trips, not really saving money.

We both like that. I have had marvelous experiences in both California and New Zealand.

New Zealand spoiled me for wine. I had a 26 day assignment as a photographer shooting vineyards and wineries on both islands. For 19 nights I drank wine with the four great wine masters of New Zealand.

Your first three images (and the third one in particular) are really lovely.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:05 AM   #13

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
We joined HH recently and plan on using the Hosts during our trip to California in late May. We’re more interested in the farm locations rather than the wineries. One of the locations we’ve identified is a farm that also has a gourmet catering service. We hope to stay there and have a really nice meal or two.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Boondockers is a variety of places. Some do not have space for a trailer - only a class B or B+, pickup camper, or small class C. You do have to plan a little ahead of time. There are many country places, but also many in the city. While it’s called Boondockers, lots of places do have some hookups for little or no cost. We are in the country, have hookups, and can take trailers, but that’s not true for many locations.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #15

Harvest Hosts also has a golf up grade. I have stayed at three courses. Fun because once they close you have the whole place to yourself.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
We love staying overnight at Harvest Hosts while enroute to a destination or on our way back home from one and have always had a great experience. Our favorite Harvest Host Stop, The El Pais Motel and Campgrounds in Tucson came at a surprise to us. It, not being a rural scenic winery, but an eclectic and funky renovated mid century motel and campground located close to I-10. What made it our favorite? The owners Toni and her daughter Jade, really care. They not only waited for us and personally came out to guide us where to park among the trailers that they rent out overnight, but brought us out fresh eggs from their chickens and told us to help ourselves to more in the morning. The best surprise of all was they gave us free hook ups! We did not know that they offer that to Harvest Host members for their first night. Pete and I were able to take an unexpected shower and dump our super filled tanks. Wifi connectivity was great and we later streamed a Netflix movie before bed. If it wasn’t for the pandemic, we might have gone for a dip in their pool
( it looked clean and well kempt) or joined others who were singing and playing guitar outside their clubhouse. No purchase was required of us and they offer second (or more) nights for just a $20 fee. We stopped there on our way back from visiting my youngest and family in California and happily paid $20. It’s going to be a regular stop for us!
Old 02-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #17

Another option is Campendium. It will show campgrounds in your area. They also have several filters, like free camping, forest service campgrounds, RV parks, and many others.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post

New Zealand , what a beautiful country. 4 years ago we spent a month touring the country in a rented camper van. I was amazed by the campgrounds. They have hookups, communal kitchens with 5 to 10 stoves, refrigerators, pans and all utensils. They have a communal dining room, often they have lounge areas with a large screen TV, private bathrooms and showers. They were several steps above anything we call a campground, even better than RV parks.
Attached Thumbnails
P8230002.jpg   P8280325.jpg   P8280332.jpg   P8280333.jpg   20170828_141209a.jpg  

Old 02-11-2021, 02:26 AM   #19

That looks like Milford Sound!

There is quite a lot to like about how they do things down there!
Old 02-18-2021, 09:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA "Catalyst"
I recommend HH. I've used them about a dozen times in the past year and have not been disappointed. Sometimes I do spend more at the shop than I might at a campground but I end up with a nice dinner or bottle (or two). I also have a quiet place to spend the night with very few, if any, neighbors. I have also enjoyed the museums. My only suggestion is to try to arrive well before dark in case the local roads are poorly marked.
Cleta is offline   Reply With Quote