We ordered a 19! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
We ordered a 19!

After spending six months in our classic Bluebird Wanderlodge, talking with others, looking at other rigs, etc. My wife (Mel) and I decided that pulling a well built small trailer with a van would be a nice way to go. The van will provide a bit of extra storage and make a great tow vehicle. The goal is to make our adventures less complicated, less expensive and be more nimble. We realize there will be trade offs but think they will be worth it.

The end of July, we sold our bus. In early September we bought a 2017 Nissan NV 3500 passenger van with the V8 Engine and 7 speed Transmission. The van has way more seating than we need but it's easy to remove what we don't want. We considered buying a cargo van but felt that the passenger van would be better. The van has a factory tow package and is rated to tow 9K pounds. Overkill, I know but it is what it is.

This past Monday, my wife and I put a deposit on a 2018 19 footer. This coming week we'll finalize our build sheet and we'll be set! Our completion date is March 20, 2018.
We hope to pick it up around April 1 and the adventure begins!

Are we excited...yep!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170912_190612.jpg   SJ Final 1.jpg  
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Congrats!

The van will come in quite handy for hauling all the other stuff around, such as camping chairs and what-not.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #3

Thanks. We met several couples that were using a van to pull trailers. That's what got us thinking of selling the bus and downsizing. I plan to pull out the back 2 rows of seats and build some storage in the back of the van.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Congrats on pulling the pin.

You will be able to stow lots of stuff in the van, but I would watch you don't over do it "just because you can".
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Oh my! The first time I read your post the photo of the bus didn't pop up. Wow, that's quite a downsize in living quarters!

But you'll be able to go to lots more places and park in lots more spots than with that thing. Love the color though. You'll have to get the decals in one of those same blues. Or, what the heck, just get the entire trailer painted that way!

(This from the gal that put cat decals on the trailer that came to us "naked" (sans decals) and gets lots of positive comments on it!)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Wow! Quite a change. You are going to love the fact you can unhook for going into town.
Congratulations!!! And March is the perfect time to start! (At least here in Canada)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #7

I agree on not over doing it. I'm hoping to get my Honda 200 Generator, some extra clothes, my small PA, etc in the van. I hate it when things are too crowded. When we met the first couple in a Casita pulled by a van, I was pleasantly surprised that the trailer wasn't over packed. A's we talked, I thought "This is a great idea".

The picture of the bus was an afterthought. We had the bus repainted at Star Jet in Columbus Ohio but had them use the original color scheme. We used to have people stop and talk to us about the bus all the time. Those old Bluebirds are built like tanks. If you want a Class A, they are the best deal out there. We loved it but as I age, I just want simplicity. A class A is a complex beast, no matter which one you have.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Congrats enjoyed our discussion. Love your TV!
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Congrats on your purchase of the 19. You'll love it. Camping with a small trailer vs a bus is a whole other experience, allowing you to get into places you could never consider with a Class A. I can think of 3 or 4 of our favorite camping spots, none of which is accessible with any rig over 24 feet long. I think you'll appreciate the fuel economy as well.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
WHOOOOhoooooo! Congratulations!!! Excellent!
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote